Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't think that's OSS. That process has existed a lot longer than OSS.

The OSS discussion is generally referring to international to domestic connections.

Even several years ago, you didn't have to clear security on US-INTL connections in YYZ.
I'm not sure where dgcpaphd was connecting to (domestic or international flight) but that's exactly what I did with my OSS-marked, YUL-bound BP a couple of weeks ago. I remember hesitating before entering that room because I thought the transfer desk was for international-bound connecting pax only, but the yellow-vested YYZ employee said "domestic connections here" so I gave it a try. Ended up on a bus that brought me to the D gates without ever having to re-clear security.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ffsim
I'm not sure where dgcpaphd was connecting to (domestic or international flight) but that's exactly what I did with my OSS-marked, YUL-bound BP a couple of weeks ago. I remember hesitating before entering that room because I thought the transfer desk was for international-bound connecting pax only, but the yellow-vested YYZ employee said "domestic connections here" so I gave it a try. Ended up on a bus that brought me to the D gates without ever having to re-clear security.
How regular is the bus? On a tight connection would it be better to exit and re-enter through security with a Nexus?

I had to connect from DTW-YYZ-YVR in December. Delays in DTW had us at the gate 35 minutes prior to departure. Running the whole way from F99 I still managed to make it by going out and back in (even with a bit a delay explaining to CATSA why I was sweating so much). The bus route would have been easier on the nerves and body if it was faster.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
@dgcpaphd said the departing flight was at an E gate, which means international.

And for this to make any sense, the arriving flight must have been from the US or international.

In both of these situations, you've been able to avoid security on the connection as long as I've been flying (which, for the record, isn't THAT long, but it far predates OSS at YYZ).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dudestir
How regular is the bus? On a tight connection would it be better to exit and re-enter through security with a Nexus?

I had to connect from DTW-YYZ-YVR in December. Delays in DTW had us at the gate 35 minutes prior to departure. Running the whole way from F99 I still managed to make it by going out and back in (even with a bit a delay explaining to CATSA why I was sweating so much). The bus route would have been easier on the nerves and body if it was faster.
Don't know how regular the bus is -- I've never missed one to take the following

Originally Posted by canadiancow
@dgcpaphd said the departing flight was at an E gate, which means international.

And for this to make any sense, the arriving flight must have been from the US or international.

In both of these situations, you've been able to avoid security on the connection as long as I've been flying (which, for the record, isn't THAT long, but it far predates OSS at YYZ).
I missed the E gate bit, but based on the description, OSS is a very similar process except you get on a bus rather than walk to E gates.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I missed the E gate bit, but based on the description, OSS is a very similar process except you get on a bus rather than walk to E gates.
I totally get that, but the international/US to international without security is not part of the new OSS initiative. That's all I'm saying
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:53 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
The secure OSS "corridor" (it also involves taking a bus back airside in to the D gate area) is at the top of the double escalator + stairs (on the left) before you go down to the main immigration hall.
I hate to sound naive, but does this work if you have checked bags by the way?
I have an upcoming FCO-YYZ-YVR flight and would be happy not have to hassle with YYZ security again.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I hate to sound naive, but does this work if you have checked bags by the way?
I have an upcoming FCO-YYZ-YVR flight and would be happy not have to hassle with YYZ security again.
I believe so as long as FCO is considered a 'safe airport', but you won't be able to access your checked bags. Otherwise you would have to go through security...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:59 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I believe so as long as FCO is considered a 'safe airport', but you won't be able to access your checked bags. Otherwise you would have to go through security...
Thanks. I'm not sure I even consider FCO safe (probably for different reasons relating to sheer chaos). But my checked bags can stay checked, so maybe it will work. I will see.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
FCO is an OSS eligible airport.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AC75 MM
They need Nexus or automated kiosks at YUL OSS

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Had the same experience in YUL. I didn't know OSS had been implemented there yet, so was worried my 35 min connection due to delays wouldn't cut it. Was very surprised to be ushered right into the domestic/intl departures hall.
Even though all 6 (?) CBSA agents were processing incoming, progress was slow. I suspect I would have been quicker to use Nexus, and go through security again.

What they need are automated kiosks (old or new versions, +/- Nexus) then it could be really speedy.

Additionally I had my boarding pass scanned 5 times within about 10 metres! Firstly it was looked at by someone directing me to the right lane (not scanned), then scanned by the CBSA when I had my brief interview, then by a customs guy who took my declaration form, then by another guy literally 3 metres later, then by an AC connections agent (who told me the gate, which was OK even though I'd already been told twice on the flight, as well as by the AC app) and then finally by another guy who said "for the last time" just before I exited opposite the YUL international MLL, for the long walk to the domestic lounge.

Maybe someone can explain what they hope to discover by doing the multiple scans within a secure area.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
Well I can tell you that, on arriving into YVR from Las Vegas yesterday, I talked to three airport employees and one CBSA officer about the OSS on my boarding card, and not a single one of them had even heard of OSS there. They were saying "You MUST re-clear security no matter what". They have a weird system at YVR though where, if you're flying Air Canada (what they deem as "quick connect"), you walk down a hallway, go up an escalator, and get into a security line with all other connecting AC passengers. But you do still have to clear security, and rightfully so as the path to the quick connect takes you through the baggage carousels. Did I miss something at YVR or are they not even part of the OSS conversation yet?
Old May 16, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
Maybe someone can explain what they hope to discover by doing the multiple scans within a secure area.
Answering my own question, maybe this is a way of collecting time and motion metrics for this newly introduced process (at YUL)
Old May 21, 2017, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
Even though all 6 (?) CBSA agents were processing incoming, progress was slow. I suspect I would have been quicker to use Nexus, and go through security again.

What they need are automated kiosks (old or new versions, +/- Nexus) then it could be really speedy.
This.

I came into YUL the other day on an overseas flight, and had OSS on my boarding pass. I came into the hall, and a ridiculous line. So I went out through regular Nexus, recreated security for domestic, and got to the gate for an earlier connection.

OSS without Nexus is like having a driver without a decent backswing. Pointless.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
YYZ was a mess Friday afternoon (see my not-auto-rebook post).

But they did physically have about 6 new terminals installed up there with a couple of techs poking at them. I'm heading to Detroit now, maybe they will be up and running by Thursday.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, AC
OSS without Nexus is like having a driver without a decent backswing. Pointless.
The above could be made more concise by simply replacing the bolded phrase with the word golf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.