Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seated... with Children - in AC Business Class Pods

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blue2002
Rules for Signature Class cabin, as of July 11, 2023:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...hildren.html#/

Travelling with an infant or child in the Air Canada Signature Class cabin

• With exceptions, child restraint devices are not permitted. Call Air Canada Reservations for details.
  • When occupying a Classic or Executive Pod in Air Canada Signature Class, a child age 2 to 7 must be seated directly in front of, directly behind or in an adjacent seat facing the accompanying parent or guardian.
  • The child and the accompanying guardian will receive a mandatory briefing on the safety features of the Air Canada Signature Class cabin prior to takeoff.
  • Please contact Air Canada Reservations whenever booking travel with young children in Air Canada Signature Class to ensure the availability of appropriate seating.
Print Wikipost

Seated... with Children - in AC Business Class Pods

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: A3
Just got 2 window seats one behind the other.
Thank you very much for your help!
Plumber and Diabeetus like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ubud
AC had a policy requiring you to sit directly behind your child when sitting in the business class "pods". This wording disappeared with the newer seats, but I found FAs were still enforcing the rule. Regardless, I find it works quite well, as you can stand up quite easily (assuming seat belt sign is off) to see how they are doing. I'm sure your daughter will love the experience.
But that's up to what age? An eight years old child can actually travel alone a unaccompanied minor. Including in pods.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
But that's up to what age? An eight years old child can actually travel alone a unaccompanied minor. Including in pods.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html

When occupying a Classic or Executive Pod in Air Canada Signature Class, a child age 2 to 7 must be seated directly in front of, directly behind or in an adjacent seat facing the accompanying parent or guardian.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:37 pm

Last year I flew 2 TATL segments with my 7 yr old.

Outbound I took middle, jr took window. Return we both had window.

i found being directly across from each other to be way better (middle and window). Easier to communicate if needed and for me to keep an eye on jr if seatbelt sign on, etc.

As @RatherBeInYOW quoted, you are now permitted to be in an adjacent seat facing your kid (ie across aisle).
Old May 5, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Last year I flew 2 TATL segments with my 7 yr old.

Outbound I took middle, jr took window. Return we both had window.

i found being directly across from each other to be way better (middle and window). Easier to communicate if needed and for me to keep an eye on jr if seatbelt sign on, etc.

As @RatherBeInYOW quoted, you are now permitted to be in an adjacent seat facing your kid (ie across aisle).
Granted all kids are different, but at what age did you find it become "easier" to travel with your kid(s) in international J?

We have a 4 year old now, and there's no way we could manage it right now.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Just booked a flight in J on a 777 for my disabled son (he's 20). He has a window seat, his attendant (my wife) was given the middle seat beside him (allocated by AE; the process is that I book his ticket online, then call AE to get the attendant's ticket booked). I had expected her to be given the seat behind. I'm not worried about it, because when I book my seat in the next few days I will take the seat behind him, assuming it's still available.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Granted all kids are different, but at what age did you find it become "easier" to travel with your kid(s) in international J?

We have a 4 year old now, and there's no way we could manage it right now.
Last summer was the first time I flew J on a widebody with jr. I've flown J with him numerous times on narrowbodies. Before this last summer, we didn't really consider taking jr. in a pod as we were worried he might have needed too much help, although he's a fairly good traveler and we probably could have attempted it at 6.

On the same trip I also traveled with my wife and daughter (4yr old). My wife opted to travel PY with my daughter as my daughter likely would have found a pod too scary to be on for a TATL flight (she likes to sit right next to a parent on a flight). My daughter has also traveled narrowbody J several times.

Originally I wanted us to all fly J as I was wanting to burn points, and it was available on most segments, but my wife didn't think pods would work for our daughter. It was the right call; when my daughter saw the pods in the plane, she said she was glad she wasn't in one. My wife and I likely wouldn't have enjoyed the J experience if my 4 yr old couldn't handle it well. In then end, my wife and daughter both really enjoyed PY and my wife wants to book that cabin in the future.

On the other hand, a couple years ago I flew YVR-NRT in J and there was a lady travelling with her 2 children (oldest one was 4). The had no issues on the flight - simply put down the beds and the kids slept almost the whole way.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:30 pm

My kid has spent each of the last 10 years in pods. Since he was prenatal.
Only once did he leave his seat when he shouldn't have. Just before he turned 3, in KE F.

For weeks leading up to trips, we explain what is going to happen.
When to eat, when to watch tv, when to sleep.
As long as there's a teddy bear, a blanket and a book, things have been fine.
Sitting behind a child has worked best for us.
It's easier to watch and talk to them.
I find I have to talk louder when sitting across the aisle. And no one wants that!

He's done two mini rtw's. Will do two more next year.
When possible avoid domestic red eyes.

Remember, a kid in a pod, can't kick the seat in front of them.
Dolphin2 likes this.

Last edited by tracon; May 5, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Sitting behind a child has worked best for us.
It's easier to watch and talk to them.
I find I have to talk louder when sitting across the aisle. And no one wants that!
Any thoughts on two kids? I will be 2 adults and 2 toddlers on YYZ-LHR and am leaning towards the mini-cabin doing alternating aisle-window like this:

10G: Adult / 10K : Child
11G: Child / 11K: Adult

2 year old will probably stay with me in 11K except when he's sleeping. The other idea is to take all of Row 11 with the kids in the windows, have done that before on AA and it worked out ok..
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Ours was just over 2yrs old for her first intl J.

We somehow convinced her that her soother got lost in the big seats, and that got her off the thing cold turkey...
Dolphin2 and yyckerr like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Parents have to sit behind a child in J to facilitate donning the oxygen mask.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Parents have to sit behind a child in J to facilitate donning the oxygen mask.
Not true any more. I lived this earlier this year and the policy is in fact that parents must sit either directly in front, behind, or adjacent for children aged 2-7.

Important note is that car seats cannot be used in pods.

See this thread for more in depth discussion: Air Canada boots mom, son over seat choice
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:49 pm

Signature class with a toddler

What do you do if seatbelt sign is on due to take off, landing or turbulence and need to help toddler sitting in Signature Class pod because they are undoing seatbelt or not wearing mask or something else where you normally need to physically intervene ?

Flying soon with my child and want to be prepared in the unlikely event that happens
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
What do you do if seatbelt sign is on due to take off, landing or turbulence and need to help toddler sitting in Signature Class pod because they are undoing seatbelt or not wearing mask or something else where you normally need to physically intervene ?

Flying soon with my child and want to be prepared in the unlikely event that happens
My daughter flew in pods with me as a lap infant many times until she was 2 years old. then I slummed it in premium economy with her while mom flew in the pod. she's 6 years old now and I think she is finally independent enough to do the pods.

I don't think it is a good idea to have a toddler seated alone in a pod unless they can fully follow instructions and protocol on their own. having a toddler in J that is misbehaving and you are not able to reach over to help settle will ruin your own J pod experience and not worth the stress.

bottom line. don't put them in J unless you know they can handle it. fly premium economy instead, it'll save you a lot of grief.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
My daughter flew in pods with me as a lap infant many times until she was 2 years old. then I slummed it in premium economy with her while mom flew in the pod. she's 6 years old now and I think she is finally independent enough to do the pods.

I don't think it is a good idea to have a toddler seated alone in a pod unless they can fully follow instructions and protocol on their own. having a toddler in J that is misbehaving and you are not able to reach over to help settle will ruin your own J pod experience and not worth the stress.

bottom line. don't put them in J unless you know they can handle it. fly premium economy instead, it'll save you a lot of grief.
Your answer almost got me to switch to Premium Economy, but given that the red eye's flight schedule (departs 7PM) matches my 2.5 year old daughter's bed time, she will likely be able to sleep during most of the flight.

Plus, if she becomes "uncooperative", there definitely be someone in PY or Y willing to swap seats with us right ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.