Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

valid routing? YYC-YVR-YYT-YYZ-YYC using AE points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AEROPLAN, ALASKA

Trying to book YYC-YVR-YYT-YYZ-YYC using AE points. I know I have to call in to get a booking done like this. I would like to whether this would be valid? or should I be using one of the US airports like SEA or BUF to make this valid.

Thanks,.

Seems like Ac is charging only $30 as scamcharge for the entire trip, so it makes it worthwhile to fly instead of driving cross country,
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:19 pm

Pretty sure there's no YYC-YVR-YYT routing published. Therefore, its invalid.

You certainly could do YVR-YYC-YYT, YYT-YYC. Or YYC-YYT, YYT-YVR. But trying to force YYC-YVR-YYT is where failure is likely.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking

YYC-YVR stopover
YVR-YYT destination
YYT-YYZ stopover
YYZ-YYC back..

The multicity tool is able to book me for YYC-YVR-YYT part. I just don't know whether they will add the extra stopover at YYZ when I call in to book
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by arvindhraman
I was thinking

YYC-YVR stopover
YVR-YYT destination
YYT-YYZ stopover
YYZ-YYC back..

The multicity tool is able to book me for YYC-YVR-YYT part. I just don't know whether they will add the extra stopover at YYZ when I call in to book
Stopovers have to be along a valid routing. And you only get 1 stopover on a 25k/50k NA award.

So, no, won't work on a single 25k redemption.

For your proposed itinerary, there is practically nothing the telephone agents can do that you can't do online. If its rejected online, it will be rejected by the agents.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
Stopovers have to be along a valid routing. And you only get 1 stopover on a 25k/50k NA award.

So, no, won't work on a single 25k redemption.
Even if the second stopover is in the US??
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:36 pm

Even if the second stopover is in the US??
28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

damn.. seems like misread the flight rewards terms and conditions..
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I wouldn't listen to the above comments as they are relying on outdated infomation and dont know what theyre talking about.
published routings do not matter on ap redemptions anymore.

Your maximum permitted mileage between yyc and yyt is going to be just shy of 5400 miles each way. So your routing is valid so long as you have only one stopover (which has to be in Canada for your itinerary) and don't exceed the mpm and 12+ hour connections. Of course this is subject to award availability.

You will likely have to call this in. If you get a friendly agent and explain how you tried to book this online and couldn't, they may waive the phone booking fee, but don't count on it. Good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:53 pm

damn.. seems like misread the flight rewards terms and conditions..
There's a few 'creative' things you could do to make your itinerary mostly work.

For instance, book YVR-YYZ (stop) - YYT, YYT-YYC-YVR. Buy a revenue YYC-YVR, and drop the YYC-YVR segment on the return. Basically you get both an open jaw and a stopover.

If you don't mind going to YDF instead of YYT, with the one flight a day they're down to, you can really stretch your time during the connection in YYZ so that it kind of might feel like a stopover (ie: arrive on a late flight and leave the next day at 9:50pm). I did that last summer. But technically its not a stopover within the meaning of the rules.

Then there's another option, which is, to take the bus/train to YXS, YXT, or YPR, and then you'll have access to a routing to YYT through YVR. Did that last summer as well, and the train is quite an experience if you've never.

Last edited by pitz; Feb 18, 2016 at 6:16 pm Reason: yxt, not yyt. ycg, yka, ylw would work too
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Your maximum permitted mileage between yyc and yyt is going to be just shy of 5400 miles each way. So your routing is valid so long as you have only one stopover (which has to be in Canada for your itinerary) and don't exceed the mpm and 12+ hour connections.
Will overnight connections work??

like getting into YVR late afternoon and going out of YVR early morning..
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
There's a few 'creative' things you could do to make your itinerary mostly work.

For instance, book YVR-YYZ (stop) - YYT, YYT-YYC-YVR. Buy a revenue YYC-YVR, and drop the YYC-YVR segment on the return. Basically you get both an open jaw and a stopover.

If you don't mind going to YDF instead of YYT, with the one flight a day they're down to, you can really stretch your time during the connection in YYZ so that it kind of might feel like a stopover (ie: arrive on a late flight and leave the next day at 9:50pm). I did that last summer. But technically its not a stopover within the meaning of the rules.

Then there's another option, which is, to take the bus/train to YXS, YYT, or YPR, and then you'll have access to a routing to YYT through YVR. Did that last summer as well, and the train is quite an experience if you've never.
I have a weeks work at YVR, YYT and YYZ. so a stopover would be ideal instead of a transit. Revenue ticket makes sense for the YYC-YVR portion but it is either going to be one stopover or one open jaw for inside Canada,,,
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Will overnight connections work??

like getting into YVR late afternoon and going out of YVR early morning..
Yes so long as you are under 12 hours it doesn't count as a stopover and you can have as many connections as you like so long as you don't go over mpm.

A great way to enjoy the nightlife of a city without additional charge.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:00 pm

I have a weeks work at YVR, YYT and YYZ. so a stopover would be ideal instead of a transit. Revenue ticket makes sense for the YYC-YVR portion but it is either going to be one stopover or one open jaw for inside Canada,,,
Well give it a shot. Hopefully kwflyer is right and I'm wrong. I've searched up and down and haven't found any reference to MPM applying to domestic itineraries. Good luck!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kwflyer
Yes so long as you are under 12 hours it doesn't count as a stopover and you can have as many connections as you like so long as you don't go over mpm.

A great way to enjoy the nightlife of a city without additional charge.
Seems like adding YVR brings me to 6700 miles which is 25% more than MPM.. so I dont think it will fly..
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
What pitz suggested gets you what you need:

You buy a one-way YYC-YVR - could be revenue or 7,500 Aeroplan points and spend your time in YVR.

You buy an Aeroplan ticket for YVR-YYZ (stopover)-YYT (destination)-YVR. Only you route the return journey YYT-YYZ-YYC-YVR, or something like that, and walk away from the YYC-YVR leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.