Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Print Wikipost

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Interesting and YYC-IAD/BOS.
Formwe is currently operated on CR9s.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
...but as much as I like the A220 (at least the LX version in J), I wouldn't want to be on it for 7 hours, as referenced in the article.
I'd rather take a TATL from YHZ in an A220 than backtrack to YUL/YYZ, wait for a connection, then take a widebody. I'm hoping the ETOPS cert, range and efficiency will enable new routes from my home province.
YUL, shadowspar, jasdou and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Interesting and YYC-IAD/BOS.
Originally Posted by Stranger
I think you're thinking of IAH instead of IAD. YYC-IAH is definitely CR9, but AFAIK there isn't non-stop IAD or BOS service from YYC.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I believe you're thinking of IAH (Houston), not IAD (Washington)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC 35k
IAH remains on CR9s - it's not on the diagram. I'm guessing AC prefers to have the frequency on that route. We are going to see more CR9 routes with the Jazz upgauge.

Where are the CR9s based? YVR, YYC and ???
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It looks like YYZ-SJC is being considered. Probably not a flight I'd ever take, but I know lots of Canadians in the south bay who would love to fly out of SJC instead of SFO. Or even Canadians visiting any of the south bay companies.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I think you're thinking of IAH instead of IAD. YYC-IAH is definitely CR9, but AFAIK there isn't non-stop IAD or BOS service from YYC.
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I believe you're thinking of IAH (Houston), not IAD (Washington)
YYC-IAD/BOS were on the diagram as potential new routes. Both would be of interest to me.

YYC-IAH desperately needs to get off the CR9s though, it's a joke. Not only is the plane uncomfortably cramped for a route of that length, it's right at the edge of its range. Huge number of tech stops and bags left behind last year. Took those morons 5+ days to get me back a bag that they left behind due to payload restrictions (so much for priority baggage), and even then, only after they routed it via YYZ. Many of my colleagues had similar experiences in 2018. I wrote AC a long, detailed and polite-yet-harsh note about this a while back and got a $300 eMCO out of it, but I'm not sure they got my point about the business that it's costing them, as many of us are now making efforts to avoid this route.

I think YYC-IAH would actually be a very good route for the CS1, if AC were to take some of those on. Especially if the UA TB JV gets approved, at which point they could better coordinate capacity. After all, there are times when UA is running a 739 either side of AC's CR9 flight, so it's not like there isn't traffic on the route.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think YYC-IAH would actually be a very good route for the CS1, if AC were to take some of those on. Especially if the UA TB JV gets approved, at which point they could better coordinate capacity. After all, there are times when UA is running a 739 either side of AC's CR9 flight, so it's not like there isn't traffic on the route.
AC could also run an A220-300 down there if it was willing to go to once daily. I'd rather take UA or WS on that route.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by 24left
So, do we need a new thread for the new name?
Probably not a bad idea, since the wording "C Series" will only exist on currently built and currently in assembly aircraft and for the name of the legal entity that holds the TC for the A220.

Originally Posted by D582
The IATA codes are also still CS1 and CS3. However I can see Airbus trying to have them changed. I think for DH4 they just decided to keep as is for whatever reason.
The TCDS for the A220 is BD-500-1A10 and BD-500-1A11, whereas the TCDS for the Q400 is DHC-8-401 and DHC-8-402. The DH4 code is derived from the model name, CS1/CS3 are derived from the marketing name, not the not the model name which is why DH4 will remain regardless of which entity hold the TC for the DH4 models.

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
It isn't a simple rename just to suit an AIB marketing designator. Every single part, manual, and regulatory document has been created using the BBD designators at the time of certification. Every single one of these documents need to then be revised to an A221/A223 designator. Given the challenges with production, costs, and delivery, I can't see this being a high priority for Airbus.
perhaps you should read those same documents you mention. There is no mention of C Series (other than a few marketing descriptors) and the model information is printed as BD-500-1A10, BD-500-1A11 and BD-500-1A10/1A11. The TCDS for the A220 series has already been updated to reflect the new marketing designation.

Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
YYC-IAD/BOS were on the diagram as potential new routes. Both would be of interest to me.

YYC-IAH desperately needs to get off the CR9s though, it's a joke. Not only is the plane uncomfortably cramped for a route of that length, it's right at the edge of its range. Huge number of tech stops and bags left behind last year. Took those morons 5+ days to get me back a bag that they left behind due to payload restrictions (so much for priority baggage), and even then, only after they routed it via YYZ. Many of my colleagues had similar experiences in 2018. I wrote AC a long, detailed and polite-yet-harsh note about this a while back and got a $300 eMCO out of it, but I'm not sure they got my point about the business that it's costing them, as many of us are now making efforts to avoid this route.

I would sacrifice a first born (if I had one) to see YYC-BOS as a daily. Agree with the comments about YYC-IAH. Not good. I understand why they are doing, I just think it is a tad stupid or sleazy (not sure which!).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar
I would sacrifice a first born (if I had one) to see YYC-BOS as a daily.
Given that our son and family including grand kids live near BOS, we sure would be very happy with it too.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz
The CS300 is the stretched version of the baseline (probably the longest stretch possible, given the intense focus on optimization), and the trend is for significantly relaxed stability especially with full FBW. So somewhat like the A320 series, you'll probably be seeing those ailerons working overtime keeping things stable during turbulence.
Wrong. There has long been talk of a -500 version. And now even AB is mentioning that while it's not on the table right now, in the future it is a definite possibility.https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...f-a220-455067/
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:47 am

Regarding E90, etc. I always love the discussions about "this airplane is more comfortable than that plane" or "narrow bodies can't be comfortable on long flights." IMHO it typically has very little to do with the plane (higher pressure/humidity in 787, etc. being possible exceptions) but mostly to do with how each airline chooses to configure the plane. An example of this is how the perception of the 777's changed when AC went from 3+3+3 to 3+4+3 with less pitch. If it were only about aircraft size, there wouldn't be small corporate jets flying the rich/executives around the world in relative luxury.

QUOTE=pitz;30665429]I just wonder what AC has in store for the 2-3 nature of the CS300/A220? Will the "2" seats come with an up-charge? Will the middle seats in the "3" side of the 2-3 always be basic economy passengers, families strewn about the aircraft if they're not eligible for free seat assignment? Do we have confirmation that business class will be a 2-2 configuration?[/QUOTE]

Who knows how AC will configure the plane, but IIRC when Bombardier was showing people the mock-ups of the plane, one of the selling features of the plane was that the middle seat on the "3" side was to be a few inches wider than the other aisle/window seat (IIRC there were comments at the time that the wider middle seat might actually be the most sought after). The width of the cabin doesn't allow for 3+3 and bbd wanted to show that there wasn't a "bad" seat on the plane.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:17 pm

Wrong. There has long been talk of a -500 version. And now even AB is mentioning that while it's not on the table right now, in the future it is a definite possibility.https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...f-a220-455067/

Not wrong. The commentary,of a -500 version is rooted in some sort of misguided belief that the CS300 is a non-stretched version. The CS300 is already a stretch of the baseline CS200. Stretches on other platforms, like the 737, A320, etc., were possible because the baseline airplanes were grossly overbuilt due to the lack of computer simulation capability available at the time of their design, and lack of intense optimization. When Bombardier designed the CS300, they set out to create the most stretch they possibly could out of the baseline "CS200" platform. If they could do a CS500, absent some miracles of material science or engineering occurring in the future, it would've been already done.

Last edited by pitz; Jan 17, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz
Not wrong. The commentary,of a -500 version is rooted in some sort of misguided belief that the CS300 is a non-stretched version. The CS300 is already a stretch of the baseline CS200. Stretches on other platforms, like the 737, A320, etc., were possible because the baseline airplanes were grossly overbuilt due to the lack of computer simulation capability available at the time of their design, and lack of intense optimization. When Bombardier designed the CS300, they set out to create the most stretch they possibly could out of the baseline "CS200" platform. If they could do a CS500, absent some miracles of material science or engineering occurring in the future, it would've been already done.
To start with, the baseline is the CS100. And there is always room for more stretch. Might entail more chanes. But that there was one stretch by no means implies there is no further room. Just look at the DC-9, all the way to the longest MD80, or the Challenger, all the way to the CRJ1000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.