Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Print Wikipost

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
You are missing more than something here. I would say, you are missing the plot,the big picture, the importance that the transaction had to the Canadian national economy and to national security.
It will be vital to Bombardier's well being to maintain a relationship with a large well funded and EU protected multinational so that it can withstand the bullying of the indirectly state subsidized and protected Boeing. Locating the plant in Alabama, a diehard GOP state was a stroke of genius. Nothing changes US legislators votes than money, and the Airbus plant will drop a lot of it into a state that needs it. Consider the plant an inoculation against a deadly disease called greed.

The use of a term "bailout" is inappropriate. What the federal and provincial governments did was to protect intellectual capital and a key driver of Canadian aerospace engineering and innovation. Most of Canada's aerospace workers owe their jobs to the existence of Bombardier. It provides a training ground to develop expertise, a facility to support and purchase services and products from other Canadian firms and most importantly, a way in which to keep Canadian capital in Canada. Many young people get their early work experience and training at a Bombardier facility or subcontractor. They then move on to other operations and companies.
Bombardier had to sacrifice a portion of itself to do this, but it is well worth it.
The people who disparage the assistance given Bombardier have no appreciation of what happens to a country that loses key manufacturing sectors. Some people are content to allow Canada to be sold off to foreign buyers who care nothing for the country, as long as they can make a bit of quick dosh, or to see Canadian workers enslaved and without hope working for firms who contribute nothing to the nation.

I see Boeing as a bully, and a misguided one at that. It targeted Bombardier because it assumed it could kill the company and come in and pick up the market and/or assets. Misguided because Boeing targeted harmless, insignificant Bombardier while the Chinese and Russians were working together to challenge Boeing and Airbus. Boeing is about to get its comeuppance as the Chinese will soon be dumping aircraft in the international market and eating Boeing's breakfast. The Chinese have been providing bigger and more sophisticated components and assembling Boeing and Airbus planes for decades. Now they will launch their own versions. Boeing will be sucking wind.
I used to love Boeing, but no more. Greedy company that targeted a harmless company transaction and that sought to intimidate and violate the nation of Canada. To Boeing I say, remember the fate of Compaq, Kodak, Polaroid, DeSoto, American Motors et al because your time will come too.
Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by flybit
either way $6 billion was spent on the C series and we just sold 51% for $1. Perhaps we will be doing the same with the train/subway division also. without question Bombardier, creates jobs but you do have to ask what could we get with the billions of Federal/Provincial subsides if we invested in other industries. Bombardier is a govt investment, and reality is we need to invest that money wisely, could the money be spent better, more efficiently, more cost effective?
Some limits on executive compensation would definitely be in order when/if government becomes a shareholder/lender would be highly appropriate, but other than that, Bombardier is a pretty efficiently run outfit. Their salaries are not particularly high or extravagant for most workers and skillsets involved. Canada already has a crisis of under-utilization of its engineering talent, so anything that can contribute to the engineering ecosystem is welcome. It would be an absolute and utter travesty if this industry disappeared, much like the telecom equipment engineering/manufacturing sector disappeared in Canada over a decade ago to the extreme devastation of many thousands of Canadians.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:13 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I had a ride on a Swiss C-100 from GVA to BCN last week in J and really liked the plane. This one still had that new plane smell. Other thand the SD really having to hustle meal and drink service on such a short flight, he said he really liked the A/C. Looking forward to my first trip on an AC version of this plane.
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I had a ride on a Swiss C-100 from GVA to BCN last week in J and really liked the plane. This one still had that new plane smell. Other thand the SD really having to hustle meal and drink service on such a short flight, he said he really liked the A/C. Looking forward to my first trip on an AC version of this plane.
I expect J will be fine. Y, who knows, if they are able to use a pitch of 30 inches they will.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gogo'2KU inflight wifi selected on CSewries

https://www.reuters.com/article/brie...-idUSFWN1RM0LR
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
Gogo'2KU inflight wifi selected on CSewries

https://www.reuters.com/article/brie...-idUSFWN1RM0LR
Yes, posted here yesterday:

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Gogo's 2KU wifi has been selected by Air Canada for the CS300. A quote of interest:

"We also are excited to work with Bombardier to have this technology installed at the factory."

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...679142193.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29619588-post898.html
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
the real question is will AC get delivery of these planes. Bombardier, has had lots of issues, and not just getting engines.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by flybit
the real question is will AC get delivery of these planes. Bombardier, has had lots of issues, and not just getting engines.
Interesting article in the Globe and Mail just published seems to attribute a bunch of problems to Zodiac.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...s-delays-ease/
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
usual BOM problems, can build trains or streetcars on time either.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
If Bombardier was not a Quebec based company, and Air Canada did not owe it's existence to decades of liberal subsidies, hence long overdue favor's to be repaid, this would not have happened.

Sometimes, the truth is not always politically correct for a few people to hear...........but it still is the truth.

I don't see Westjet running over there with their cheque book open to by the new C-series.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by KDS777
I don't see Westjet running over there with their cheque book open to by the new C-series.
Westjet has a very different fleet strategy than AC.
While Westjet didn't go running to BBD with their cheque book open (other than for Q400's), Delta did - and they are not exactly fools. I very much suspect that AC bought the C-Series for exactly the same reason as Delta - they wanted an aircraft in that size range to fill a gap between the 737 and Regional Jets and Bombardier offered the most compelling overall value.
Admiral Ackbar and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by KDS777
If Bombardier was not a Quebec based company, and Air Canada did not owe it's existence to decades of liberal subsidies, hence long overdue favor's to be repaid, this would not have happened.

Sometimes, the truth is not always politically correct for a few people to hear...........but it still is the truth.

I would not be surprised to see WestJet flying the C-series at some point in time. WestJet has a small fleet of 737-600, an aircraft that is around the same size of C-series. It is a good fix for many of the smaller cities in Canada that WestJet is serving. That said, the 737-600 are orphans, they will probably never be able to sell them off to someone else so they will keep them to the very end. Unlike Air Canada, I get the impression they do not have a lot of capacity for doing a lot of new things at once. The 787 are coming. the contracted regional flying is coming and Swoop.

The difference is Air Canada have certain political problems that the C-series solved. One would hope that it also makes sense from a fleet perspective, but who knows. WestJet motivation is far less political.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Posted 11:25 am April 25 2018

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...bus-after-deal

Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:06 pm
Suspended

AC Airbus A220-300

Noticed this item listed in the current issue of Navi magazine, pg 9 "Air Canada Fleet"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ment/navi.html

Interestingly, it is not listed on the AC website fleet page https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/fleet.html

Also, on page 12-13 in Navi where the seat maps of each AC aircraft are shown, there is none for this little bird.

So, do we need a new thread for the new name?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
Noticed this item listed in the current issue of Navi magazine, pg 9 "Air Canada Fleet"
Good catch!

I wonder when we'll see a layout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.