Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

When is Refundable Latitude Not Refundable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is Refundable Latitude Not Refundable?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
If the web site says that Latitude is refundable, then it got to be... In other words, when there is a discrepancy between two pieces of information from AC, I can always argue that the one most favorable to me ought to win. There was a time when they had relatively cheap fares FRA-Canada in booking codes that would eventually become latitude and were supposed not to be refundable, but some places they were still mentioned as refundable. I always got them to reimpbusrse when needed, "as an exception especially for you."
As an exception - sure. But if they text in the reservation says "non-refundable" and the more generic fare class information says "refundable" you need to assume there is a non-negligible chance they will say the specific conditions listed in your ticket prevail.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yowcat
As an exception - sure. But if they text in the reservation says "non-refundable" and the more generic fare class information says "refundable" you need to assume there is a non-negligible chance they will say the specific conditions listed in your ticket prevail.
They will say "as an exception." But if there is conflicting information, surely the consumer has to right to pick the one he likes. Surely they will consistently "make the exception." BTW I believe there no longer are non-refundable latitude fares. So the web site is actually correct and the "specific condition" is likely wrong. Tariffs might tell.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
They will say "as an exception." But if there is conflicting information, surely the consumer has to right to pick the one he likes. Surely they will consistently "make the exception." BTW I believe there no longer are non-refundable latitude fares. So the web site is actually correct and the "specific condition" is likely wrong. Tariffs might tell.
Some USA-Europe B and O fares have cancellation and change penalties.

Some examples:
Fare basis codes BN400RCE/BN100RCE/ONA00ERC have cancellation/change penalties of $300/$300 USD respectively.
Fare basis code BL400NCE is non-refundable, but changes permitted for $300 USD.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:47 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Bringing this back, if I may. Looking to book a one way Europe to Canada 1st week on February. apx $3K.

Option a). I book a return trip with the cheapest return outbound to Canada $900-return to Europe $400 = $1300. throw away the return or cancel for whatever is left
Option b). Book a return trip with outbound to Canada $900 and Latitude return to Europe $1900. Would the $1900 return to Europe be refundable?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Option b). Book a return trip with outbound to Canada $900 and Latitude return to Europe $1900. Would the $1900 return to Europe be refundable?
If you ask for a refund they'll want you to pay the other $300 to match the one way fare.

You might try just cancelling the reservation for the return, but keep the ticket for a later opportunity... That might never happen.... But you probably can do that with a cheap return, I don't think they would ask to pay the change fee until you actually rebook...

Best option might be Aeroplan...
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:00 pm

If you ask for a refund they'll want you to pay the other $300 to match the one way fare.

You might try just cancelling the reservation for the return, but keep the ticket for a later opportunity... That might never happen.... But you probably can do that with a cheap return, I don't think they would ask to pay the change fee until you actually rebook...

Thanks for the info. If I keep the return for later, do I need to book latitude, or can I use the credit towards any class? Same route, I assume?

Aeroplan is last option as this early in the season, need to consider AQDs and AQSs.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:26 pm

Won't they also reprice the flown segment to a one-way fare, thus decreasing the size of the refund to practically nothing (on top of the non-Latitude refund fee)?

Also, if going for a credit, won't it remain under the same booking reference. So if it's used for another ticket and the fares don't go together, the flown segment would also have to be repriced to a one-way fare?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Won't they also reprice the flown segment to a one-way fare, thus decreasing the size of the refund to practically nothing (on top of the non-Latitude refund fee)?

Also, if going for a credit, won't it remain under the same booking reference. So if it's used for another ticket and the fares don't go together, the flown segment would also have to be repriced to a one-way fare?
Yes to all.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Yes to all.
So sounds like OP should go with option A or one-way ticket, whichever is less. Or AE it.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:49 pm

Thanks everyone.

Went with Option A. We'll see if they're any credit on the back end or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.