Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International YQ Wavier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:54 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Jack Jia
I see.. Hmm interesting. I do see lots of space available on 787(only half filled at this point) and some other 777s. Is it safe to assume that AC Doesn't want NA IKK being used on flights that are served on widebodies with lie flight J then?
I just play with the AC booking engine and it also show up to 6 PAX can eupgrade to J from Flex on that AC 1178 flight. So, as adam.smith confirmed that IKK J = R space, AC 1178 is the only flight with R > 0. All the other 787/777 are all R=0. Remember, Lat fare upgrade do not look at R, it look for another fare (can't remember off my head that letter)

you can also consider what CC did at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...it-stupid.html

-- Added --

AC do sometimes (or most of the time on popular routes, I think) zero out R leading to the flight date. So, for me to see R=0 on YVR-YYZ for all 787/777 flights at T-5 are very normal IMO.

For example, for Easter Friday (Mar 25), I see 7 IKK J YVR-YYZ, including 5 of them are operate on 777.

Last edited by alc; Feb 7, 2016 at 11:00 pm Reason: forgot to answer your question
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Know your pricing!

I booked three separate bookings all in J for this year just before the latest AP devaluation and I thought the pricing was high. I checked my three separate bookings and the July European booking I was refunded X 3 the YQ. The Canadian booking the YQ was replaced with Carrier Surcharge so I was happy that I was screwed by a new charge and not the fuel surcharge and the third booking to the US was fine.

Living in Alberta with oil at records low, I always laugh when I pay that fuel charge with Air Canada, Canada Post, Park & Fly etc, yup with record unemployment due to low oil prices, that fuel surcharge is sure valid
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Know your pricing!

I booked three separate bookings all in J for this year just before the latest AP devaluation and I thought the pricing was high. I checked my three separate bookings and the July European booking I was refunded X 3 the YQ. The Canadian booking the YQ was replaced with Carrier Surcharge so I was happy that I was screwed by a new charge and not the fuel surcharge and the third booking to the US was fine.

Living in Alberta with oil at records low, I always laugh when I pay that fuel charge with Air Canada, Canada Post, Park & Fly etc, yup with record unemployment due to low oil prices, that fuel surcharge is sure valid

It got renamed Carrier Surcharge when high fuel prices could no longer justify the name. Someone somewhere recently said that it's like floating money, where the airline can still claim to have low fares and that the "surcharge" is not their fault, but brings in significant coin nonetheless.

Since no one is forcing AC to do an audit of where exactly the $$$ for the surcharge goes, we either guess or swallow.

If you really have some free time, the FT archives are a blast from the past. I found a similar discussion from 6 years ago. Almost identical comments. I think they call that progress.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:08 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Fuel surcharges were never, ever, ever directly linked to the increased cost of fuel on a given route or ticket. They were always a form of deceptive marketing designed to keep customers thinking that the price of a service had remained relatively steady when the cost of a major input had risen significantly, but ultimately were just about increasing airlines' revenues.

After governments finally stepped in and forced airlines to change to deceitful way in which they advertised airfares to an all-in approach (at least in Canada/US), fuel surcharges lost a lot of relevance. AC could set base fares of $1 and then add a fuel surcharge, pilot surcharge, seatbelt surcharge, FA surcharge, etc to get to whatever all-in price it wanted and no one could stop them.

The only place they really matter now is on award tickets (for those airlines that charge them) and to those who have coupons (e.g. eMCOs) or get paid commission (e.g. TAs) on the value of base fares only.

It's still a disingenuous practice, but I believe it now flies under the radar enough that the Canadian government is unlikely to do anything about it.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Fuel surcharges were never, ever, ever directly linked to the increased cost of fuel on a given route or ticket. They were always a form of deceptive marketing designed to keep customers thinking that the price of a service had remained relatively steady when the cost of a major input had risen significantly, but ultimately were just about increasing airlines' revenues.
It's still a disingenuous practice, but I believe it now flies under the radar enough that the Canadian government is unlikely to do anything about it.
Thank you for a better post than mine. Still a game. Oil could be $100 and the dollar could be $1.10 and the world can be a happy place, and that "surcharge" will just get renamed as needed.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 24left
Thank you for a better post than mine. Still a game. Oil could be $100 and the dollar could be $1.10 and the world can be a happy place, and that "surcharge" will just get renamed as needed.
They could call it currency surcharge given how CAD have belly flopped
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:12 am
Suspended

They could call it currency surcharge given how CAD have belly flopped
Call it the almond surcharge for that matter, and stop giving everyone ideas!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So in a way what IKK does is for example being a E35K I dont see YYZ-YVR direct J award at 25000 points for next friday. But being a SE's immediate family(I am under 24 so I guess I can still be counted as "dependent children" as long as there is 1 J seat unsold I have access to it, even lets say very last minute(AKA The day before the departure)
As adam.smith mentioned, the immediate family restriction is only for international J IKK. Domestic J and all Y do not have that restriction.

Okay, not trying to beat a dead horse. So if R=0 on all direct flights, which is what I derive from lets say YVR-YYZ next friday for J (Quick Aeroplan search). Being SE would have no effect to this situation(Well , I guess unless you are willing to pay double by using a priority reward for it)

Also what about PE,I suppose it would be booked in to PE Lowest category through IKK(or if IKK even applies to that cabin)
IKK is "priority rewards". SEs do not pay double (that's the whole benefit) for priority. But if there's no R space, there's no priority.

There is no PY IKK (for now?). I think they're a little screwed because they ran out of letters. Upgrades and Aeroplan bookings both require N space, which is the lowest revenue fare class.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is this thread title about YQ or IKK?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by canadiancow
As adam.smith mentioned, the immediate family restriction is only for international J IKK. Domestic J and all Y do not have that restriction.

IKK is "priority rewards". SEs do not pay double (that's the whole benefit) for priority. But if there's no R space, there's no priority.

There is no PY IKK (for now?). I think they're a little screwed because they ran out of letters. Upgrades and Aeroplan bookings both require N space, which is the lowest revenue fare class.
Double for IKK non-SE is still helpful, especially if one has a ton of miles from CC or what have you. SE IKK is still great, even with the latest enhancements on whom one may book for (limits are a whole other question though).

Will AC invent a new alphabet? Or are they doing this after they get their new site up (again)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.