Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC fleet history in pictures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by JB0591
From what i have found, it was from a heliport on waterfront (somewhere) to Pearson.
There was, for a while, a heliport at the southeast corner of Cherry St and Unwin Av. The idea was that the "Bay Street crowd" would grab a cab (or limo) from the business district to the docklands, and chopper over to YYZ.

When AC discovered that the "Bay Street crowd" found it took almost the same time to limo out to Pearson, the whole thing fell apart.

As an aside: for a while Canadian Helicopters Ltd ran helos out of there when AC stopped using it, and one of them was the actual "last helicopter out of Saigon" that is seen with the crowd of people on the roof of that Saigon building. I sat in it, and looked through the logbook to verify they weren't pulling my leg...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
I immediately thought the same thing, 737s only came to AC with the merger of Canadian Airlines, but AC indeed had one 737-200 which joined AC's fleet in November 1995 from Canadian Airlines (C-GCPT / MSN 22258) and was transferred to Zip Air (AC's LCC disaster in the western provinces 2002-2004) in 2003 so it would have been in the fleet in 1997.
I can't find any online reference for AC having taken ownership of one of CP's 737's pre-merger. And the photos online indicate that the particular frame you reference was flying in CP colours in 1999. Interestingly enough, its one of the rare 737-200's to go down to the desert for storage and then return to service (albeit with a different carrier!)

http://www.airframes.org/reg/cgcpt

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...eywords=C-GCPT
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by karachi
Did I miss it, or is the AC DC10 missing from the list. I remember flying on it LHR-SIN a very long time ago.
You were on an L1011.
Quite similar to the DC-10
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
AC never operated DC10, only Canadian Airlines.
One of my last CP flights was YYZ-HNL on a DC10. I'm pretty sure (but not quite 100% sure) this was after the AC/CP merger, so it would've been an AC flight number. AC3127 to be specific.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:24 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by After Burner
One of my last CP flights was YYZ-HNL on a DC10. I'm pretty sure (but not quite 100% sure) this was after the AC/CP merger, so it would've been an AC flight number. AC3127 to be specific.
I believe it.

They did not stay around for long however and are listed in AC historical fleet info as CP DC-10

The L1011-500 was my favourite plane to fly on. Great ride and a lot of fond memories of going down to Florida with the family.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:28 pm
B1

I remember those stretch DC-8's with the extremely long narrow bodies. The interior seemed to me like a funeral parlor. While AC dumped the Lockheed Lodestar in pre-historic times, I was in Miami airport when I was a kid and saw a National Airlines version on its way to Key West. I remember because I took a picture and wrote on the back of the print. I was also on one of the first flights of a Canadian 767 from Rome to YYZ before it had ETOPS clearance. The flight took many more hours than scheduled. I asked the flight attendant if the pilot was afraid to fly over the ocean (we seemed always to be over land). She said that the engines weren't yet approved for over-ocean travel.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
What city is the A320-200 photo taken in?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by Jagboi
What city is the A320-200 photo taken in?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...irbus_A320.jpg

That's the Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal in the background. And, no, I didn't recognize it. Bit of Google searching.

But it must be playing with perspective. The Oratoire is not that close to YUL.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by Marlin240
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...irbus_A320.jpg

That's the Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal in the background. And, no, I didn't recognize it. Bit of Google searching.

But it must be playing with perspective. The Oratoire is not that close to YUL.
That's quite a powerful and quality camera!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The L1011-500 was my favourite plane to fly on. Great ride and a lot of fond memories of going down to Florida with the family.
Can't say they were my first choice to fly as I was on a few in econ. and vividly recall the odours from the crescent of lavs at the back. Can't recall if there were 5 or 6 lavs in all but beyond the odours there seemed to be flyers standing in the aisles at times during the flight toward the back where I was invariably seated with family. I'd rather fly a 767 over L1011 but that's merely MHO.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
My first dozen flights or so were on Canadian DC10s.

Pretty sure if they're in desert storage, they'll still have nose prints from 6-year-old-me on the windows.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by tcook052
Can't say they were my first choice to fly as I was on a few in econ. and vividly recall the odours from the crescent of lavs at the back. Can't recall if there were 5 or 6 lavs in all but beyond the odours there seemed to be flyers standing in the aisles at times during the flight toward the back where I was invariably seated with family. I'd rather fly a 767 over L1011 but that's merely MHO.
No L1011 experience in my past that I can recall. I only remember Air Canada DC-9s from my childhood since we mostly went to Calgary and Edmonton. In fact, I mostly remember CP's filthy old 732s.

As a young adult though, I had a chance to fly on AC's 747 before they shut'er down - only by chance as they pulled one up to a gate to clear up a backlog on the YYZ-YVR route during a labour dispute. And, I flew on the Gimli Glider the week before it went to the desert! I always wanted to fly on the 340, but never had the chance.

Eastern Airlines had a pretty neat layout on their L1011... looks like a Y class lounge (although right by "Lav Crescent"), and 2x2|2x2 seating as well.

Also, looks like AC had one on lease from Eastern for a while.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
There were actually 2-L1011s on lease from Eastern. We had them for six months to provide extra Winter lift and they had them for the Summer. Configuration was almost identical however EA interiors with the multi-coloured Zebra-striped seats were retained. There was also a leased DC-9 that was around while the aircraft were reconfigured from 12F/83Y to 100Y and had a brushed aluminum exterior with AC titles.

The L1011-500s had the perfect layout (12F/24J/178Y) and gone was the downstairs galley which involved the laborious task of sending everything to the Main Deck via 2 lifts. The 6-L15s (fins 551-556) were shipped off to Delta.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Admiral Ackbar
The L1011-500 was my favourite plane to fly on. [/QUOTE]

+1
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:00 am

I can't say I have fond memories of the L-1011, i only got to experience them with Air Transat with their 3-4-3 configuration in Y. Definitely not a fun hop across the pond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.