Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mismatched Award Availability on Star Alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mismatched Award Availability on Star Alliance?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
soooo basically... shouldve closed the thread after post #3
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: ACSE*2MM, Delta Diamond Medallion, Qantas Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I remember trying to get to Tahiti for my honeymoon on Air New Zealand and had a similar issue. Every routing I was trying in a window of a few weeks was coming up empty. I could get to Sydney, YVR or LAX on AC, but then was stymied by Air NZ on every connection. Finally got to a good agent who knew the rules. Air NZ in this case did not open their seats to Aeroplan until much later than other airlines like Lufthansa or SQ. Ended up choosing the Maldives instead on a AC/LH/SQ routing.

SA flies out of IAD directly to JNB via Dakar or from JFK nonstop. The flights are always very full in business. Not sure about GRU -> JNB, but that has got to be a pretty rough connection and I would guess pretty full as well.

Maybe a connection with LH in FRA or MUC? In their summer LH has direct connections to CPT. If you can avoid a transit connection at JNB then do it. Always chaos there. Another possibility is Ethiopian from IAD via Addis Ababa?

If that fails you might want to try KLM - sometimes you can get some very good deals on paid tickets - I have paid as little as $4000 for YUL-AMS-CPT in business. It is also convenient as it is the only airline I know of offering a day flight - this is great for connection time. Flights from North America arrive mosting in the morning and you can connect in a few hours. Other airlines mostly fly overnight so you have a day to kill in Europe.

I mostly take KLM these days directly to CPT. They are the only airline I know of that offers a day flight.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.