Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

time to enhance SE in response to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold

So United started last year with free drinks in Y for GS and 1K. Today they took it further and announced free food (free item from the fresh menu) in Y for GS and 1K.

With AC I have a waste to limited number of eCredits for a bigger seat and have to pay for food and beverage if I don't. With UA I know I'm getting a free meal and a free drink and the only debate is whether or not I get a bigger seat (for free).

If AC is going to copy the bad stuff (AQD) from UA, it is time they coughed up something good.

Last edited by yyzgigi; Jan 20, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
AC SENIOR MANAGEMENT be like

Great Idea!
Here's two air canada cafe coupon that cant be used with other discounts.

Now off you go!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Good to see them finally catch up to AA in this regard

And the menu
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx

Dont forget you get to pay double as an SE just for a chance to use your ecredits on AC. And you wont know whether you clear until the gate because AC management has said AC customers cannot handle upgrade list transparency, and if you havent eaten, you ll just go hungry But hey, you just paid 2x as much as the person next to you for flex.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by rankourabu

And the menu

Uh oh, I see something on that menu calling me......

"Salted Chocolate Chips Brownie Brittle"

LOL

carry on.......
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
For the new upgraded SE that pay $20K I think Ben meets you guys for beer and chips each quarter and then cuts your grass or washes your car once every summer?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
So United started last year with free drinks in Y for GS and 1K. Today they took it further and announced free food (free item from the fresh menu) in Y for GS and 1K.

With AC I have a waste to limited number of eCredits for a bigger seat and have to pay for food and beverage if I don't. With UA I know I'm getting a free meal and a free drink and the only debate is whether or not I get a bigger seat (for free).

If AC is going to copy the bad stuff (AQD) from UA, it is time they coughed up something good.
I like what UA is doing. The only problem, UA will never be my first airline for a free $7 drink.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I like what UA is doing. The only problem, UA will never be my first airline for a free $7 drink.
It isn't worth switching airlines for in and of itself no but everything adds up. It's not like everyone on here can't afford a sandwich, but it's a nice feeling when you're getting a usable benefit. The free sandwich interests me.

Unlike the apparent number of alcoholics who need to get their fix every flight, the drink does not.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Member

Free market competition at work.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

And the menu

Dont forget you get to pay double as an SE just for a chance to use your ecredits on AC. And you wont know whether you clear until the gate because AC management has said AC customers cannot handle upgrade list transparency, and if you havent eaten, you ll just go hungry But hey, you just paid 2x as much as the person next to you for flex.
Blah, blah, blah. Apparently UA will fly me to SYD for $500 with a 365 day confirmed upgrade to F.

Whatever.

I flew AC to LAX return for $650 USD in Flex. Upgraded at T-12 to a lie flat seat. I doubt I paid double, my upgrade cleared in advance and I ordered the steak so I wasn't hungry.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Further to the post and comment upthread, I just happened to see the "United Premier 1K and Global Services Members Now Get Free Food and Drinks" over at The Points Guy. http://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/unit...od-and-drinks/

Most interesting to me was the line:

"The news came in the form of a FlyerTalk post, with a United rep confirming the change."

Now this is IMPRESSIVE.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26051181-post1.html

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 20, 2016 at 8:39 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:36 pm

Why can't they just bring back free food for everyone in Y just like the good old days.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:55 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
For the new upgraded SE that pay $20K I think Ben meets you guys for beer and chips each quarter and then cuts your grass or washes your car once every summer?
Almost, but not quite - that's the $150K AQD Threshold Gift
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by agjil
Why can't they just bring back free food for everyone in Y just like the good old days.
Why not turn every seat into a SQ F cabin on domestics too and sell it at Y prices?

This is a good move but honestly doesn't target the premium pax that AC wants. Vouchers might be a nice added side benefit though.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by agjil
Because pax are to cheap to pay 1980 prices for airfares.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Because pax are to cheap to pay 1980 prices for airfares.
I am certainly willing to pay $15 or whatever to pre-order a hot meal in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.