Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird BP issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. You are not entitled to free E+ on United. Whether or not you can get it free is another matter.
2. The only way you're getting a free upgrade is if there aren't enough UA elites to fill the J cabin (which is DEFINITELY possible out of CUN - I flew CUN-ORD recently and J had 10 of 20 seats empty), AND they're oversold in the back. But you may be offered a relatively cheap upgrade at check-in if they know they can't fill J any other way.
3. The only way you're going to be able to switch airlines is if there are IRROPS.
I've never heard a good explanation of this - as a 50K, do I have the option to SDC at the airport, flying UA?

Work just stuck me on a pair of UA flights to SFO, and worse yet, it's booked through Expedia (and they didn't add my FF#).
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bartolo
If there's a middle name on your passport/Nexus that is not reflect with the exact spelling on your tx for a US bound flight, you could well be denied boarding. They are very strict about this.
Originally Posted by D582
Reservation systems do not entirely support the concept of a distinct 'middle' name field. This is why it gets squished together with the first name and title.

The middle name needs to be entered into APIS which distinctly has a middle name field and that is what really matters. I have flown, and continue to fly to and from the US and other countries on a regular basis with only my last name and first name on the ticket and reservation without issue.
I have a middle name on my passport, and I never add it to any tickets or APIS, and I have never had an issue.

Originally Posted by yvrgary
I've never heard a good explanation of this - as a 50K, do I have the option to SDC at the airport, flying UA?

Work just stuck me on a pair of UA flights to SFO, and worse yet, it's booked through Expedia (and they didn't add my FF#).
Yes, but you can't change to a flight operated by a different airline.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:51 am

But, for example, if they've got me flying SFO-PDX-YVR, can I change to SFO-LAX-YVR, assuming space avail?

Do I need to give a reason for the change?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by yvrgary
But, for example, if they've got me flying SFO-PDX-YVR, can I change to SFO-LAX-YVR, assuming space avail?

Do I need to give a reason for the change?
You don't need to give a reason, but there needs to be space, and the agent needs to think your routing is reasonable.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:50 am

You don't need to give a reason, but there needs to be space, and the agent needs to think your routing is reasonable.
Fair enough. Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I have a middle name on my passport, and I never add it to any tickets or APIS, and I have never had an issue.

I was warned by AC, a couple of US airlines, and the Nexus people (at renewal time) about the importance of the tx reflecting the exact name in the passport. Hawaiian actually checked for this. I have had AC agents do the API for me and they ask. Have also see a couple of stories/reports of boarding being denied. It's a pain to remember to add it but I haven't been willing to risk being denied boarding or issues at US border control.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I was warned by AC, a couple of US airlines, and the Nexus people (at renewal time) about the importance of the tx reflecting the exact name in the passport. Hawaiian actually checked for this. I have had AC agents do the API for me and they ask. Have also see a couple of stories/reports of boarding being denied. It's a pain to remember to add it but I haven't been willing to risk being denied boarding or issues at US border control.
They just told you the "simplified watered down" version.

There are two separate fields in the reservations system:

1. The names field used for the boarding pass/ticket should be fine with just your first/last name.

2. The APIS/SecureFlight field in the PNR (only visible to airline staff and travel agents) needs to have your full name as on ID, date of birth, sex, and known traveller number if nexus member.

To simply things, most online booking sites/corporate travel tools/corporate travel agents pulling data from travel profiles etc. use the same data field to populate both the "ticket/boarding pass name" and "APIS/SecureFlight" fields.

Once a flight reservation is made/ticket issued, it is always possible to manually edit the APIS/SecureFlight field. Also, an airport agent manually swiping your passport at check-in also updates this field.

Note: If you open up your booking on the aircanada.com website, you can also edit the APIS/SecureFlight field to include your other middle names if you only used your first/last name to make the initial booking. You can also edit your passport number, expiry date, destination address in the US etc.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Update:

Went to the airport, checked in my baggage. He couldn't figure out why status wasn't showing. Asked him to remove and re-add my Aeroplan number, as I had read on here to do that sometimes.

It worked, he printed me new BP's that had my status on it. Also had FirstMiddle Last. I asked if this was ok, he said totally fine as the system says First Middle Last.

Flew YEG-YYZ-CUN, no problems with status or BPs!

Also, holy crap is premium rouge small. I'd hate to fly in regular rouge for 5 hours
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
You should have gone YEG-YYC-CUN. Full mainline (domestic) J on the YYC-CUN leg.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
I wish I had a choice... we contracted it out to some trip group who did the lowest fare humanly possible.

Tango fare, which is kind of ok. I accrue AQS not AQM anyways.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erome
... we contracted it out to some trip group who did the lowest fare humanly possible.
Always bad idea. At the core of the problem and at the end of the day, not really the lowest fare.

That's really what the problem is about. Why airlines have "unbundled.' Moved as most as they could out of the "fare."
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:19 pm

I've "heard" that, and if I ever encounter a problem, I'll absolutely start using my middle name.

But I cross the border very regularly in both directions, with NEXUS, Global Entry, and just regular screening, and there has never been an issue. So until then...

Originally Posted by daniellam
They just told you the "simplified watered down" version.

There are two separate fields in the reservations system:

1. The names field used for the boarding pass/ticket should be fine with just your first/last name.

2. The APIS/SecureFlight field in the PNR (only visible to airline staff and travel agents) needs to have your full name as on ID, date of birth, sex, and known traveller number if nexus member.

To simply things, most online booking sites/corporate travel tools/corporate travel agents pulling data from travel profiles etc. use the same data field to populate both the "ticket/boarding pass name" and "APIS/SecureFlight" fields.

Once a flight reservation is made/ticket issued, it is always possible to manually edit the APIS/SecureFlight field. Also, an airport agent manually swiping your passport at check-in also updates this field.

Note: If you open up your booking on the aircanada.com website, you can also edit the APIS/SecureFlight field to include your other middle names if you only used your first/last name to make the initial booking. You can also edit your passport number, expiry date, destination address in the US etc.
But even in APIS, I never enter my middle name, and I never have an issue.

So while I'm certainly not offering legal advice, I don't think it matters.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I've never had problems using my first-last no-middle despite middle on passport and NEXUS, but after some Asian travel where TA insisted on middle on the ticket, I have started using it. I figure, it doesn't cost me anything. I thought about it and decided holding out would be based merely on inertia. Refusing to change has no other payoff to me, and once I started thinking about whether I wanted to change or not, I had already done 90% of the work involved. Unlike other people who write articles as "John Q. Doe", I never ever ever use my middle name or initial but if they prefer it, I guess that's why I have it. I don't see any reason not to use it other than forgetting out of habit. But if the field is there as a separate field, I'll put it.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I've never had problems using my first-last no-middle despite middle on passport and NEXUS, but after some Asian travel where TA insisted on middle on the ticket, I have started using it. I figure, it doesn't cost me anything. I thought about it and decided holding out would be based merely on inertia. Refusing to change has no other payoff to me, and once I started thinking about whether I wanted to change or not, I had already done 90% of the work involved. Unlike other people who write articles as "John Q. Doe", I never ever ever use my middle name or initial but if they prefer it, I guess that's why I have it. I don't see any reason not to use it other than forgetting out of habit. But if the field is there as a separate field, I'll put it.
Whereas for me, I'd probably file the paperwork to remove my middle name before I started using it anywhere
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Whereas for me, I'd probably file the paperwork to remove my middle name before I started using it anywhere
I knew a guy at work who had a pretty common surname and fairly common first name, and every time he applied for a loan, he had to sign a stack of papers saying "I am not nor have I ever been known as firstname A lastname, or firstname B lastname, or firstname C lastname, ..." so if you dropped your middle, you'd probably still have to encounter it occasionally as an AKA or formerly-known-as. But anyway... good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.