Search

Weird BP issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Weird BP issue

Hey all,

So I my company contracted out to a travel company for booking an upcoming flight.

So on the original booking they sent, it had FirstNameMiddleName LastName, as opposed to FirstName MiddleName LastName. It also didn't have my aeroplan number on it.

So I called the company, they looked into it, said the name is ok like that, only problem was she had given the wrong aeroplan number to the agent. She said this should be corrected.

So I go online, I see the booking, it still says FirstMiddle Last, but it connects to my aeroplan now. So I use some eupgrades on the departure flight (which is for Sat am).

I do the checkin and see that theres no aeroplan number. I select change aeroplan number and a message says 'because you eupgraded with a different aeroplan number it cannot be changed'.

I get the BP and it still says FirstMiddle Last, and it also has no status on it. It does say business class and premium rouge (for segments 1 and 2).

I called AC and they said the name is fine. I forgot to ask about the aeroplan number. I'm worried that I won't get credited for it, or that my status wont get recognized. I'm flying back on United so it's important they see my *Gold for a preferred seat...

Thoughts?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
sounds like CWT lol.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:33 am
Original Poster

What does CWT stand for?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Erome
What does CWT stand for?
Carson Wagonlit Travel
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I get the BP and it still says FirstMiddle Last, and it also has no status on it. It does say business class and premium rouge (for segments 1 and 2).

I called AC and they said the name is fine. I forgot to ask about the aeroplan number. I'm worried that I won't get credited for it, or that my status wont get recognized. I'm flying back on United so it's important they see my *Gold for a preferred seat...

Thoughts?
I had this same thing last week (FirstMiddle Last, though it did get the right AP number). Also on a ticket booked by a TA.

e-Up processed fine, and the flights posted to my account right on time.

Your mileage may vary, so to speak.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by yvrgary
I had this same thing last week (FirstMiddle Last, though it did get the right AP number). Also on a ticket booked by a TA.

As a rule - I always insist my tickets only be issued First Last. No initial, no middle name - I don't care that my passport has a middle name (or 2 or more like my wife). It reduces problems such as online checkin on other carriers - no issues with aeroplan. Every once in a while - something sneaks through with an initial - and it gives me nothing but problems.

Anyhow - I can't explain how you were upgraded but your number was not in the file. Also - the status on the boarding pass almost never lies. If you don't see it - it's not in the system.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary

Tickets booked through our in-house TA always show FirstMiddle Last. Never an issue with any part of the flying or points crediting process.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

So I call AC - they say the aeroplan is in the system. Otherwise they said I couldnt eupgrade.

They said they dont know why its not showing on BP.

So all he could offer was 'it should be ok'.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
As a rule - I always insist my tickets only be issued First Last. No initial, no middle name - I don't care that my passport has a middle name (or 2 or more like my wife). It reduces problems such as online checkin on other carriers - no issues with aeroplan. Every once in a while - something sneaks through with an initial - and it gives me nothing but problems.
I have the opposite problem. There is someone with a similar name to mine on the DHP list. I make sure first and middle are on there to prevent the 20 minute call at checkin.

Even then, on a recent YYJ-YVR-SFO-KOA-SFO-YVR-YYJ mixedAC/UA trip, and with boarding pass in hand and no issue to that point, they didn't want to let me board the last YVR-YYJ leg without the phone call for approval.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So I call AC - they say the aeroplan is in the system. Otherwise they said I couldnt eupgrade.

They said they dont know why its not showing on BP.

So all he could offer was 'it should be ok'.
I'd find an airport agent.

Asking reservations why something isn't showing on the boarding pass isn't going to get you very far.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, good call.

I need to check a bag this trip, so when I go to priority check in I'll see if they can clear some of this up.

Another inquiry - on the way back from CUN on the 21st, I fly with UA (so best bet is to get a preferred seat).

Does UA ever Op Up to J for Star Gold?

I was contemplating maybe trying for a 'day of change' at the airport, to try to get on some AC metal and use my eupgrades. That 4.5 hour flight to Denver is going to suck...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah, good call.

I need to check a bag this trip, so when I go to priority check in I'll see if they can clear some of this up.

Another inquiry - on the way back from CUN on the 21st, I fly with UA (so best bet is to get a preferred seat).

I was contemplating maybe trying for a 'day of change' at the airport, to try to get on some AC metal and use my eupgrades. That 4.5 hour flight to Denver is going to suck...
1. You are not entitled to free E+ on United. Whether or not you can get it free is another matter.
2. The only way you're getting a free upgrade is if there aren't enough UA elites to fill the J cabin (which is DEFINITELY possible out of CUN - I flew CUN-ORD recently and J had 10 of 20 seats empty), AND they're oversold in the back. But you may be offered a relatively cheap upgrade at check-in if they know they can't fill J any other way.
3. The only way you're going to be able to switch airlines is if there are IRROPS.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I received an Op-Up on United once as a *G... originally booked on NH 787, before the battery fiasco. Then the 787 caught fire, and the Dreamliners were grounded. Everyone on that flight was rebooked onto UA's flight.

Guess they ran out of UA elites to upgrade, so they started upgrading *G to J.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr

Anyhow - I can't explain how you were upgraded but your number was not in the file. Also - the status on the boarding pass almost never lies. If you don't see it - it's not in the system.
If there's a middle name on your passport/Nexus that is not reflect with the exact spelling on your tx for a US bound flight, you could well be denied boarding. They are very strict about this.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bartolo
If there's a middle name on your passport/Nexus that is not reflect with the exact spelling on your tx for a US bound flight, you could well be denied boarding. They are very strict about this.
Reservation systems do not entirely support the concept of a distinct 'middle' name field. This is why it gets squished together with the first name and title.

The middle name needs to be entered into APIS which distinctly has a middle name field and that is what really matters. I have flown, and continue to fly to and from the US and other countries on a regular basis with only my last name and first name on the ticket and reservation without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.