Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC moving from 23 ticketing platforms to 1 - March 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC moving from 23 ticketing platforms to 1 - March 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:36 pm

This will bring a lot of grief to us travellers. Not due to IT failures, but due to IT features. I fear a chaos like the lufthansa group and NZ have introduced: Lots of extra fees, disconnected from the booking class. You could book the most expensive booking class and still be forced to pay extra for lots of things. No free checked luggage for status passengers, etc.

When the load factor is high, they stop caring about customer loyalty.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
...IT should be managed by a customer focused technical person who's strength is managing people and is capable of communicating their vision to the team.

Yes, and that is what I should have said !!!

I was a tekkie for my first 20 or so years in IT and a manager for the last 24 ...

Thank you!!!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:49 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by sokolov
This will bring a lot of grief to us travellers. Not due to IT failures, but due to IT features. I fear a chaos like the lufthansa group and NZ have introduced: Lots of extra fees, disconnected from the booking class. You could book the most expensive booking class and still be forced to pay extra for lots of things. No free checked luggage for status passengers, etc.

When the load factor is high, they stop caring about customer loyalty.
I think you are overly optimistic.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Yukonprince
...IT should be managed by a customer focused technical person who's strength is managing people and is capable of communicating their vision to the team.

Yes, and that is what I should have said !!!

I was a tekkie for my first 20 or so years in IT and a manager for the last 24 ...

Thank you!!!
I'll do it!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Soooo. Has this happened yet? Is this why AQD is reset to 0?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
Don't know whether the ticketing thing has happened, but doubt it has anything to do with AQD resetting to zero, that has been happening off and on for weeks.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
Don't think so. The AQD thing is probably just straight up incompetence.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by KenHamer
What could possibly go wrong?
AC does not appear to be alone. Look no further than the P & G website. Large company. Website a disaster for some time now and despite several fixes, justified complaints abound.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bartolo
AC does not appear to be alone. Look no further than the P & G website. Large company. Website a disaster for some time now and despite several fixes, justified complaints abound.
Try TD Waterhouse's new web site. It is down almost every day for some technical reason.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've come to the conclusion that IT development, implementation, and changes never go well in any large organization.

At the beginning, everyone dreams in technicolour and the IT folks blow rainbows up people's arses.

By project's end, all the good stuff has been delayed (or, if you're unlucky, scoped out), costs have overrun 10000%, things don't work, things that should be tested aren't (I once got scolded for breaking the system because I didn't follow procedures -- I thought that was a good thing), and there's absolutely no accountability.

The organization takes the brunt of it (made fun of, called stupid, look incompetent, etc.) while the IT consultants still get paid their full rates and have a guaranteed contract for life because they have just ensured future work for themselves.

Am I wrong?

(Oh, and this sounds like construction as well.)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

That's why software people should only be let out of their cages under direct, immediate and heavily armed supervision.

And it's not just *large* software projects that go that way.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

That's why software people should only be let out of their cages under direct, immediate and heavily armed supervision.

And it's not just *large* software projects that go that way.
Software devs are generally not to blame. Leadership at the top is usually the biggest problem - processes and procedures that are counter to basic common sense.

The biggest one that I've run into in any large systems deployment is this notion that one big flip from one thing to the next is the right way - because obviously you've tested it all in QA and it should just work. If it doesn't, roll it back! Why do you think there are so many problems with all of these sites and systems... because downtime is "acceptable" for so many of them. Downtime is almost never acceptable.

How much you want to bet a good chunk of the people on this forum could run the IT group at AC infinitely better for far less money (given a couple of years to make the switch)?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by epiphani
Software devs are generally not to blame. Leadership at the top is usually the biggest problem - processes and procedures that are counter to basic common sense.
Fish rots from the head.

BTW, seems that at this point, things are still working as usual. Month is not over so looks like the switch has not happened yet.

Good thing is, I don't need to buy a ticket any time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.