Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Aeroplan CC Options

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Air Canada Aeroplan CC Options

I travel from YYZ to NYC (typically LGA) a couple of times a month. But unfortunately due to the short distance its a lot of hours in airports for almost no reward status.

So I was looking for an Aeroplan CC that would help out. In order of importance the things I care about are:

* Zone 2 Boarding
* Lounge Access (particularly in LGA where you have to pay for wifi after 30 minutes and the Air Canada area is typically pretty crowded)
* Aeroplan Rewards

I was looking at the American Express AeroplanPlus Reserve Card, which looks like a decent (although expensive) option for what I want. But the fact that it doesn't have priority boarding makes it completely not worth the money.

Right now it looks like my best option is to get the Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card for priority boarding and rewards and then just buy an annual MLL pass for lounge access.

It's at the top end of what I want to pay though, so just wondering if I'm missing some better option.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC 25k
Originally Posted by SammyOES
Right now it looks like my best option is to get the Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card for priority boarding and rewards and then just buy an annual MLL pass for lounge access.
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card has all your requirements including a Priority Pass membership for lounges. Depending how often you fly, buying additional discounted credits once you use your 6(?) complimentary ones would likely be cheaper than an MLL membership.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Oh nice, I didn't really think about going that route - I was just seeing that the Air Canada lounge pass required a flight booked with rewards and didn't really think about just buying extra passes on the PP membership.

Probably makes sense because I wouldn't need to go to the lounge on every flight anyway - just ones where I end up getting there early or the flight is delayed.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:29 pm
alc

so, 4 flights a month for 12 months will be 48 flights (i.e. 48 AQS) hence, you should be E35K status, if not E50K with other flight you might have. With E35K, you get the 1st two points you want.

Maybe sometimes check and see if YTZ-YUL-NYC is about the same price as YYZ-NYC direct. This will get in a few more AQS to help you qualify for E50K.

I am not sure how much this leg usually is, but just remember the new AQD requirement in 2016 for 2017 status.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...17-status.html
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
The Amex Aeroplat is a pretty good card for people without status - it includes priority check-in and lounge access and is much cheaper than the very overpriced Reserve card. It doesn't, however, meet your requirement for priority boarding.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
900 bucks for a credit card is even more ridiculous than 500.

Even 900$ only gives you 5 "free" bags a year.

Back when YYZ Valet parking was $28 a day, it could make sense for a weekend w/the Amex deal, but now that they jacked it up to 40, I'll just take the UP or uber.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC 25k
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege - more info

Priority Pass Membership includes 6 visits per year, additional visits are billed to your card at US$27/each.

NYC area Lounges:
La Guardia -
MLL (Central Terminal)

JFK (Intl.) -
Air France Lounge (Terminal 1)
KAL Business Class Lounge (Terminal 1)
Wingtips Lounge (Terminal 4)

Newark (Intl.) -
Art & Lounge (Terminal B)
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

I guess E35 is quite doable. E50 seems unlikely because sometimes a non Star Alliance flight is cheaper by enough that I have to take it.

I didn't realize stop-overs increased the number of segments flown. It would be a pain usually but might be worth it if I was close to the next level.

Thanks for all the great tips.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
....Thanks for all the great tips.
And Welcome to FT!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:26 am

I travel from YYZ to NYC (typically LGA) a couple of times a month. But unfortunately due to the short distance its a lot of hours in airports for almost no reward status.

So I was looking for an Aeroplan CC that would help out. In order of importance the things I care about are:

* Zone 2 Boarding
* Lounge Access (particularly in LGA where you have to pay for wifi after 30 minutes and the Air Canada area is typically pretty crowded)
* Aeroplan Rewards

I was looking at the American Express AeroplanPlus Reserve Card, which looks like a decent (although expensive) option for what I want. But the fact that it doesn't have priority boarding makes it completely not worth the money.

It's at the top end of what I want to pay though, so just wondering if I'm missing some better option.
AMEX Platinum?
60K points via referral = 4 short-haul flights R/T (like YYZ-LGA)
Priority Pass
LGA Centurion lounge!!!

can't help on the boarding, but do you really need it for YYZ-LGA?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
It really is my main motivation.

I hate fighting with people that line up really early to board. And many of these commuter flights have full overhead luggage compartments. So each flight I have to decide how willing I am to jockey for position or stand in a long line vs risk getting delayed when they have to check my luggage or give up my already miniscule legroom to hold my carry on.

Originally Posted by jerryhung
AMEX Platinum?
60K points via referral = 4 short-haul flights R/T (like YYZ-LGA)
Priority Pass
LGA Centurion lounge!!!

Anyway, boarding is my main priority right now. I find lining up early for boarding really annoying - but on a lot of these commuter flights the overhead luggage area fills up. So its a matter of deciding if I'm going to line up and jockey for position in the giant mass of people or if I'm going to risk having my bag be checked or stuck in my already small legroom.

I think I'll go with the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege for now and then if I reach status that gives me priority boarding I can re-evaluate.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 10, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:48 pm
alc

....Anyway, boarding is my main priority right now.
For Zone 2, you can also just get a TD Aeroplan Infinite VISA. And you can get that for free if you open a TD All-Inclusive account. To waived the monthly fee on the TD All-Inclusive account, you just need to put $5000 in the account. There are other benefits with the TD All-Inclusive account, but they are not Aeroplan related, hence not going to list them here.

Now, let's work on getting the E35K status next year.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:56 pm

The regular Infinite gets you jack squat on revenue flights, benefits are only for Aeroplan reward tickets.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by alc
For Zone 2, you can also just get a TD Aeroplan Infinite VISA. And you can get that for free if you open a TD All-Inclusive account. To waived the monthly fee on the TD All-Inclusive account, you just need to put $5000 in the account. There are other benefits with the TD All-Inclusive account, but they are not Aeroplan related, hence not going to list them here.

Now, let's work on getting the E35K status next year.
To add to this, there's a $300 sign up promo for opening a TD bank account Click on the Get $300 bonus offer on this webpage
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I don't bank with TD, and its probably more expensive for me at this point to park $5000 in an account.

Understanding all of the fine print is what drove me to post here. Because I kept thinking one card would do what I wanted only to realize there was some random catch (like only giving priority boarding for reward flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.