Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC*E, BA, KL
My 1st impressions of these new changes is that they are far too complicated and discriminate against those Canadians not currently based in Canada. I've flown more this year than I have before and could have hit SE for the 1st time but chose not to because I went with convenience. Turns out that it's actually not that bad flying without status on other carriers, especially when you can buy add-ons. So I think next year will be my last as an AC Elite after a good 10 year spell. I just can't be doing with a program that's so complicated - I just want to fly and be rewarded for it.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by agjil
This announcement makes AC officially the leader in the revenue-based status world.

1) $20K requirement for the top-tier is one of the most demanding amount (if not the most) among all the revenue based FFPs out there.

2) No exceptions for people living outside of Canada.

3) No exceptions for credit card holders who spend more than a certain amount.

4) Tango vs Flex differential still exists for AQM and eUpgrade eligibility.

5) Miles not given based on amount spent while making earning status revenue based. (basically not rewarding those who buy expensive tickets)

All I can say is...and I said this many times before...AC keeps finding new ways to surprise me every year.
RE: #3. I think if they incorporated credit card spend into it, then that'd be more fair. But I'm biased because I have an aeroplan card with high spend.

Honestly, they need to spell out what the benefits are to us. If they offer a crap ton of upgrades and a lot more benefits, then I'd be happy to do $20k. But not for the benefits they offered us in 2015.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Someone somewhere must be sitting on a spreadsheet they're confident in[...]
I'd hope the AC quants would use slightly more sophisticated tools than an excel spreadsheet ! lol

Originally Posted by YYT82
Because I had choices (and I pushed some spend to AC because I wanted to), and I will have even more choices next year (but I may start pushing away from AC since I can).
That makes sense. Hope it turns out the best for you then.

Originally Posted by mountaingrl
Ughhh this might kill SE for us bottom feeders!
But I guess that is the point. of this new requirement...
It probably was the point, but hey, after all, the airlines are playing the same game as us right?

Originally Posted by drvannostren
You start to wonder where the breaking point is as well. We get devals (YQ/Copay) and then some people get them back (SE), people are saying they wanna see the benefits for 2017, but what could they give back that had been taken away? They've essentially killed the eUPs, AP miles have been devalued, adding in this AQD, etc etc. So what true benefit could they give you?

Where's the line of the devaluations? I'm not saying it's the FF apocalypse. The airlines are trying to weed our lower spenders. Airlines came up with these programs to reward frequent FLYING because by default that meant you were spending lots of money. Then alliances cam in and threw a bit of a wrench into things, then people figured out mileage running, and took back from the airlines again, so now they're taking back from ALL of us rather than just some.

So while I know this is another topic, what does 2020 look like? I'm gonna open a new thread for that, but I'm curious to what you all think.
In the grand scheme of things, I guess that it still provides excellent value.

I was arguing with another FTer about the value given back to FFs just in terms of points.

Say one flies 100K miles and is SE, that person gets 200K AE miles. With that(give or take a few scraps), they can "buy" a R/T in F class. What's the $ value on that? $10K?

So by spending $20K with AC, you a $10K value in return! 50% ROI! Seems to me that just that alone is worth accumulating points!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by agjil
This announcement makes AC officially the leader in the revenue-based status world.

1) $20K requirement for the top-tier is one of the most demanding amount (if not the most) among all the revenue based FFPs out there.

2) No exceptions for people living outside of Canada.

3) No exceptions for credit card holders who spend more than a certain amount.

4) Tango vs Flex differential still exists for AQM and eUpgrade eligibility.

5) Miles not given based on amount spent while making earning status revenue based. (basically not rewarding those who buy expensive tickets)

All I can say is...and I said this many times before...AC keeps finding new ways to surprise me every year.
I wouldn't say #5 is true......yet. They have only announced AQD but not miles awarded. This would be part of the still missing 2016 benefits email?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NordsFan
That's my reading as well. Means that I already have $515 in the bank towards SE in 2017 !

If they would only confirm whether or not popcorn will be added to the J cabin amenities in 2017, I could decide if I'll play the game next year...
I will buy the popcorn if you Know a good lawyer to help me figure out the legal stuff with these new offerings?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Wow. This really is the end!

I meet these requirements but honestly, this is the end of my relationship with AC. Not because it affects me substantially, but because of what they signal they think of their best customers.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by mountaingrl
Ughhh this might kill SE for us bottom feeders!
But I guess that is the point. of this new requirement...
It's one thing to kill off the true bottom feeders though, it's another to kill off middle people. I suppose I artificially make SE on segments, but my spend with AC is pretty high, it's just not 20k high.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I thought I was dreaming.

I was wrong.

Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I thought was I was dreaming.

I was wrong.

I was hoping it was another April Fools post!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thinking about this, it's actually much worse than one may think. $20k spend for 100k AQM already would be quite steep, but given that neither taxes/fees nor most *A flights count, most flyers would be looking at closer to $25k-$30k.
Totally agree - while many FF may look at their total spend and say "yeah, I can spend $20k", many of the $ that a typical FF would spend on fees and partner flights aren't counted. Seems quite steep for them to start off at $20k for SE the first year of this; even $15K for SE would be a higher cpm than the other tiers.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
So glad the Canadian dollar is weak! CAD $20K = $15K USD! A few J/PE trips TPAC and TATL should do it.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:22 pm

This is called culling the ranks of SE's. In spite of ACs best efforts perhaps the number of S100Ks have not gone down too much and the cheapening of the product continues unabated. The 11,000 dollar extra spend from 75 to 100 is really quite steep. I suppose all ranks will have their benefits further enhanced and the new SE's will have great benefits to be revealed to them in Dec 2016. Just have faith and trust in AC and they will do the right thing by you. (Incidentally in 2020 you will need to spend 100,000 dollars to get SE status.)
I will have to see what happens to my RTW bookings which are 014 stock--they will have to break it down to the AC flights but how? SQ does do it for the PPS club qualification only
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Oh well - at least I got 2 years of SE status before it finally went kaboom - kind of predictable. I can't see myself spending $20.000 next year. I am wondering if it will even be worth trying to make E75K
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:23 pm

Location: either in Salishaan, or at an isolated colliery in the Canadian northland
Programs: AC P75: previously, quintuple secret pterodactyl wings, every year
Just received the e-mail, which included various typos and broken links....

Funny thing is that, even though I do plan to retire next month, and my travels thereafter shall be on floatplanes and ferries, I'd still requal as E100K for next year based upon this year's spend and segs. Heck, would even make SE150K on the strength of all-too-frequent multi-segment commuting on Dashes in and out of remote stations.

Maybe the goal of this exercise is to pare the SE ranks down to, I dunno, senators, MPs, and corporate litigators? Certainly not us hard-working colliers, not by half.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
$20,000 AQD is closer to $23,000 actual dollars right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.