Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I'll never hit $20k AQD... I've already dropped to AC E50K for 2016, after 6 years as SE100K. For 2017 qualification, I'll be moving over to AS/AA. Even $6k spend on AC for E50K is too steep as a USA based AC Altitude member.

It was fun while it lasted. Loved the concierges, especially in YVR.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
I hope that they will provide us with a statement of our current 2015 spend - I'm very interested in knowing how they will price a ticket with other non-AC segments.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
I hope that they will provide us with a statement of our current 2015 spend - I'm very interested in knowing how they will price a ticket with other non-AC segments.
I doubt it. That would make it too easy to decide if you want to spend with AC. Giving up valuable testing-the-waters spend.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cairo604
$20,000 AQD is closer to $23,000 actual dollars right?
At least. It obviously depends on your routes, but taxes and fees can make up a substantial part of your ticket.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by Plumber
It will also kill SE for those Tango flyers paying $100 or less per segment and qualifying on 95 segments...

Spend will need to be >$200 per segment.
Actually it will kill it for many FF. Previously 47 segments on AC metal were required so this works out to about $400+ per segment since only AC metal counts.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Anyone NOT MRing anymore? Count me in that group.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
Originally Posted by YYT82
Although I will have no problems making the cut, the question is 'am I willing to'?

I'm waiting to see what the benefits look like for 2017, and then I'll decide. Lots of international travels coming up for 2016.

That's pretty arrogant for AC, but I'm sure many of us will still fly AC.
I completely share this sentiment. Now I have to go check with my other crazy frequent flier friends to see if switching to UA or even China Eastern is of any advantage given my flying patterns.

The only perk SE has that's worth anything to my travel is IKK.... aside from that Super Elite offers me very little extra differentiated value from the other lower tiers.

Until AC lets us know the 2017 SE benefits, I'm okay with dropping out for a year or forever...
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I like the message the Marriott CEO came out with, it remains to be seen if he's truthful, but in the statement he mentions how integral the loyalty members are and that loyalty programs should be there to encourage more business, not devalue out the others. At least that's how I heard it.

If he's truthful, I think the airlines could all learn a thing or two. Rather than a race to the bottom, why not be a front runner? If one major legacy carrier in the US pumped up their program, don't you think people would gradually flock to it?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor

The only perk SE has that's worth anything to my travel is IKK.... aside from that Super Elite offers me very little extra differentiated value from the other lower tiers.

For me the best SE perks are:

IKK
Concierge
Dedicated SE check in lines
Higher eup/standby priority.

I'm not convinced that those benefits are worth thousands of additional AC spend. If I'm spending it anyway who cares.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm surprised and disappointed about the business of crediting AQD only for AC metal or AC codeshares on AC stock. But I suppose only AC metal and AC codeshares actually generate revenue for AC, so that's what they're aiming at.

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
If they are going to demand $20,000 spend for 100K they better tell us what the 100K program will include for 2017 before as well..........
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Highly arrogant of AC to introduce this without telling us what the 2017 status perks are.
One could make that argument every year though, whether the requirement is AQM, AQS or AQD.

Originally Posted by ffsim
The $20k minimum indeed seems disproportionate to the other tiers, but the 014 stock requirement is even more restrictive, IMO. The mantra of 'never book codeshares' will end up biting a lot of current Altitude status holders in the rear
Why is $20K so outrageous for SE? There are a lot of benefits that are only available to SEs - concierge, YQ waiver on international flights, IKK at regular prices, etc - so it seems reasonable to me for SE to require a higher cpm than the other levels. Presuming they maintain outsized benefits for SEs, of course.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Seems like what they are trying to do is pretty clear to me.

Premium status = Premium Pax

Edit: I foresee real SE enhancements for 2017 if their technique works.
This is what AC has been implying for a while (the first part of your post). I hope the latter part is true as well.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
It would be nice if they showed everyone their assumed 2016 spend to see "if" they would qualify for 2017.

My travel is booked all over the place, so it is difficult to capture my actual spend. I am sure I have hit my $20,000 but still

Plus, at least with the US airlines, they do add dollar multipliers for top tiers. No such luck here
Revenue multipliers are only for redeemable miles, not for status miles. And who knows, maybe that will be one of the benefits.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I guess the biggest shock for me is the discrepancy between all the tiers other than SE and SE. 12cpm for everything else, 20cpm for SE.
rehoult made an interesting post a few weeks ago, and I believe he had suggested that based on conversations with knowledgeable people at AC, 20 cpm was a threshold for them over which they viewed customers as being quite profitable, so I wasn't shocked.

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
At least the changes are consistent with the tenor of previous Altitude enhancements. If you want SE, you'll pretty much have to fly paid J. For middling people like me (Y/PY flyer) the spend requirement is no biggie, and the elimination of the AC metal requirement actually gives me more flexibility in avoiding AC's slaveships when desired.
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Wow, that's worse than expected.

$20k minimum spend for SE status?!?

Guess that'll be my last year of SE status.
AC reps have talked about wanting to reward their most profitable customers. That's what they're trying to do here.

Originally Posted by NeoRichards
WOW.. I am SO glad I left AC 2 years ago for UNITED... Not sure about the rest of you, but these changes really suck.. LIke ... AC?.

AIR CANADA - you are now DEAD TO ME.
I guess since why fly and rankourabu are both suspended, someone had to post this, but other than the cpm requirement for SE, this hardly strikes me as being much worse than UA.

Originally Posted by iMedic
I read it initially as AQM or (AQS + AQD).

They need a better comms person.
^. I believe the AC metal requirements were also written in such a fashion when they were first announced.

Originally Posted by drvannostren
LMU won't earn AQD, but eUP co-pay will? So you're making it even harder to hit that 20k since SE100 doesn't pay co-pays. For those people who travel on passes this will be easy still. Our YMM-YYT passes are $750 each way roughly. That's only 13 round trips, but living in YVR I doubt I'll get even close.

At least eMCO counts, so if you can get some sweet VDBs that makes it a bit easier.
This bugs me too. Why not earn AQD for LMU, baggage fees, BOB, etc? It's all revenue for AC.

Originally Posted by FreddyBe
This seriously complicates planning for global fliers (and their travel agents). As we all know, fares can be substantially different for the same seat marketed by different carriers. Before we needed only worry about the partners' mileage accrual based on fare bucket. Now there's that, plus the AQD dimension.

As well as raising the bar for the short-haulers, this change effectively reduces competition for AC from its own *A partners. Much more than the AC metal requirement, is my instinct.
This is an interesting aspect and I wonder how UA, LH, etc are feeling about this right now. It really does reduce the attractiveness of flights on *A partners.

Originally Posted by shawneve
Someone else also mentioned, why not just go pure spend? Why bother with AQM and AQS.
If I take approx. 25 Flex flights from YYZ-YVR I would likely hit that spend, but unless I connect, I won't hit the AQS. I can hit that spend which is important to AC, why not let me do it without the hassle of connecting?
That's a reasonable point, but it's an issue with segment running in general.

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I REALLY hope they also show you how many AQD you'll earn before purchasing.

I don't wanna purchase a flight in HOPES that it's an AQD earner, because I'm still a bit confused, plus I wanna know how much of my fare is AQD eligible, we pay so much tax in Canada there's a good chance only 60% of your fare even counts.

I wanna see AQM/AQS/AQD broadcast before purchase.
This should be mandatory. Sadly, given AC's IT prowess (or lack thereof), we're probably dreaming.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thinking about this, it's actually much worse than one may think. $20k spend for 100k AQM already would be quite steep, but given that neither taxes/fees nor most *A flights count, most flyers would be looking at closer to $25k-$30k.

With the drastic SE cutbacks last year, I don't see how any flyer would consider earning SE status a worthwhile goal.

While introducing a minimum spend requirement may make some sense (albeit debatable), I think AC is making two mistakes:

1) One major goal of loyalty programs is to incentivize additional buiness / generate marginal revenue. I guess quite a few SEs make an effort to shift some business to AC and ensure they reach the 100k AQM each year. This group will likely become extinct since the requirements are just ridiculous. Based on the new program most SEs will merely be flyers who happen to earn SE status as a result of flying regularly in Lat/PE/J.

2) I've always thought AC could do a much better job at attracting int'l frequent flyers (e.g. a FFer based in Europe who does 4-5 long-haul flights to Asia/Africa and 5-6 long-haul flights to NA and may decide to choose AC for the latter). These changes pretty much eliminate the int'l customer base (except maybe for a few FFers who "commute" between home and Canada).
Re #1: how are the requirements ridiculous? AC wants to reward profitable customers. $20K may be a lot for people on FT min-max to maximise benefits, but for a lot of business travellers buying last-minute tickets or people flying J, $20K will get hit easily.

There will also undoubtedly be some people redirecting business to AC to make sure they meet the AQD requirements.

Re #2: do a lot of those people see much value in being AC FFs anyway though? And how much revenue does AC generate from them? Pretty much only whatever flights they fly on AC metal.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
"The AQD requirement also applies to all members, regardless of residency."

Very interesting.

$20k is a little steep. I spent that in 2014, but not 2015. I think there's a reasonable chance I'll spend it in 2016.

Actually right after writing that, I realized it's all in CAD. If they do another EYW, I'll definitely hit $20k in 2016.

I guess the biggest shock for me is the discrepancy between all the tiers other than SE and SE. 12cpm for everything else, 20cpm for SE.

Also, if I buy a ticket from AC that flies YYZ-LHR-JNB, you only earn AQD on "half" of it.

However, the one thing I will say is that I'm glad this came out now.

We're still waiting to find out what the benefits are in 2016, but we already know the qualification criteria for 2017.
I wonder though what the actual spend will be for people. Taxes not included, dollars spent on *A metal does not count, so if you travel where 1/3 of your flights on an alliance carriers then i can see someone having to spend 35k to qualify for SE.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Glad I went for E50K this year
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mevlannen
Just received the e-mail, which included various typos and broken links....

Funny thing is that, even though I do plan to retire next month, and my travels thereafter shall be on floatplanes and ferries, I'd still requal as E100K for next year based upon this year's spend and segs. Heck, would even make SE150K on the strength of all-too-frequent multi-segment commuting on Dashes in and out of remote stations.

Maybe the goal of this exercise is to pare the SE ranks down to, I dunno, senators, MPs, and corporate litigators? Certainly not us hard-working colliers, not by half.
SE150K? Did I miss that ?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by shawneve
The YQ on Aeroplan tickets for AC flights should count towards AQD!!!
^

Also, I just thought about this, what about change fees? I incur a bunch of those every year on business travel. I don't see them mentioned explicitly one way or the other.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Bracketing in the description isn't particularly clear.
What they mean is (AQM or AQS) and (AQD). But if could be read as (AQM) or (AQS and AQD).

Overall, won't change anything for most business travellers I guess.
I think it will for those who have a choice. if i am going to travel every other week i want to be rewarded. this will hurt their loads i expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.