Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring back boarding music!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
In 2018 alone I have set foot on 22 or so flights that involved carriers with boarding music and I must say I love the ambiance. While some may put me in the bucket of FOTSG, I certainly feel I fly enough to be able to put forward my opinion on this topic. For those that feel they fly far more than me and would get annoyed with such music, I would humbly suggest they/you do what I do when I have had enough which is to put on earphones.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
In 2018 alone I have set foot on 22 or so flights that involved carriers with boarding music and I must say I love the ambiance. While some may put me in the bucket of FOTSG, I certainly feel I fly enough to be able to put forward my opinion on this topic. For those that feel they fly far more than me and would get annoyed with such music, I would humbly suggest they/you do what I do when I have had enough which is to put on earphones.
Agreed. Having boarding music definitely sets the mood for a nice and enjoyable flight. I always enjoy boarding to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue on UA. It almost makes me forget that I am about to fly UA!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasdou
Agreed. Having boarding music definitely sets the mood for a nice and enjoyable flight. I always enjoy boarding to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue on UA. It almost makes me forget that I am about to fly UA!
+1,000,000
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I've always found this choice to be rather unusual... It's a chaotic piece with long stretches lacking resolve, not exactly calming for the FOTSG. AC needs a "theme". New hold vs old hold music, I say reincarnate the old music! (although even without status I found hold times were rather short, limiting my enjoyment of the new tracks)
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC*A
In 2009ish, Air Canada used a song called "El Vuelo" by Hughes de Courson in commercials. I liked it a lot, almost as much as I like ANA's boarding music. The song itself is nice as well, with instrumental, vocal, and even potentially some bagpipes (?) but given the fact that its lyrics are neither English nor French I wonder if the airline would run into language issues.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
One potential issue... I flew NH twice in the past week. I enjoyed the music.

But I'm not an NH frequent flyer. If you heard the same music every flight, twice a week (I won't even get in to EYW itineraries), would you still enjoy it?

There are a lot of things that a FOTSG will enjoy, but they don't factor it in to their purchase decision.

If it will annoy your FFs (and crew), is it worth doing just to give a grandmother or her grandchild a warm fuzzy feeling?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it won't annoy most FFs. But given how I feel about the AC safety videos (past and present), I suspect it would.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:26 am

Flew YYZ-PHL back in July on AirCanada - there was no Boarding Music, but after the safety video ended there were two commercials for products that were unrelated to Air Canada in anyway, essentially TV ads. The audio was played through the overhead speaker system. Frankly I found it crass and annoying. By all means sell ads on the screens, but pipe the sound through earbuds. Is AC now about to put display ads on the overhead bin doors like on a bus?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by peter1962
Flew YYZ-PHL back in July on AirCanada - there was no Boarding Music, but after the safety video ended there were two commercials for products that were unrelated to Air Canada in anyway, essentially TV ads. The audio was played through the overhead speaker system. Frankly I found it crass and annoying. By all means sell ads on the screens, but pipe the sound through earbuds.
this is a common thing when flying AC. Happens often.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I don’t recall UA using Rhapsody in Blue as boarding music in recent memory. They usually play a nice collection of modern relaxing instrumental tracks now on their wide bodies and 757s with IFE
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by kevinharding
In 2009ish, Air Canada used a song called "El Vuelo" by Hughes de Courson in commercials. I liked it a lot, almost as much as I like ANA's boarding music. The song itself is nice as well, with instrumental, vocal, and even potentially some bagpipes (?) but given the fact that its lyrics are neither English nor French I wonder if the airline would run into language issues.
I was literally about to post this - I absolutely loved the ambiance of this song and have always thought they should is it for boarding music for international flights. It would set a wonderful tone for passengers beginning a vacation. And, these kinds of things are memorable to people for a long time. Just look at the mentioned of United’s jingle - you hear it and you think of the airline.

Westjet could play KD Lang’s Turn Me Round perhaps?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: air miles
Next ac ft thread. "Uncouple the boarding music" i didnt ask for boarding music why am i paying for it in my fare. It should be an option while purchasing your ticket. Boarding music with charge, no boarding music.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:26 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Flash news! AC integrates Spotify into their mobile app.

Pax will now be able to select their choice of boarding music with SEMMs getting priority.

We apologize if your first choice is not available.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how much, if anything, it would cost AC to play boarding music as part of "SOP".
Also would/could AC crew object to this if it adds an extra step to their work?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Just flew WestJet in last 2 flights. They had very cool modern soothing boarding music on those flights. Provided just the right ambience. Air Canada is a step behind on this one.
Nitehawk and Symmetre like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Air Canada, brings back boarding musics!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.