Bring back boarding music!

Old Oct 25, 15, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Bring back boarding music!

Guess I really miss boarding/deplaning music. Lately I had a trip to Asia, with four airlines: United, Asiana, ANA, and Air Canada. The boarding musics from all the three airlines fondly reminded me of the good old days, more than sentimental feeling, including flying Air Canada over 10-15 years ago, when ACTV music was played at boarding while I was looking for my economic class seat.

Asiana is using Bach baroque concertos, and ANA seems to use Japanese melodies. I do not particularly enjoy the choices of loud United musics, but still a great nostalgic feeling. I also quite enjoy Lufthansa's lounge music.

Many people do not care about AC boarding music, but I'd love to see Air Canada re-introduce it.
Old Oct 25, 15, 8:08 pm

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
I do like pre-boarding music on Asian carriers as I only fly them 6x a year. To imagine hearing it for every flight though...
Old Oct 25, 15, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by lespoir View Post
The boarding musics from all the three airlines fondly reminded me of the good old days, more than sentimental feeling, including flying Air Canada over 10-15 years ago, when ACTV music was played at boarding while I was looking for my economic class seat.
I remember that ACTV slideshow displayed on the projectors with music. If anyone has a link to it, I'd appreciate it.
Old Oct 25, 15, 9:54 pm
formerly yvrgary

Programs: AC 75K, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, FOTSG Platinum
Anything but the Muzak remixes of famous techno songs that AA are using.
Old Oct 25, 15, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I vote yes to bringing boarding music.

It really makes the experience / mood more classy.

I really like the boarding music on Air France, despite being onboard one of their crashed plane once, lol.
Old Oct 25, 15, 10:48 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I vote yes too. Recently flew on OZ and really enjoyed the classical music which was played during boarding take off and landing. It felt much more relaxing and civilised. AC IFE supports it too so it can't be that difficult to bring back.
Old Oct 26, 15, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Unions claimed it hurt their lazy bum brains so AC stopped it for fear of litigation.

(Yeah I'm being sarcastic)
Old Oct 26, 15, 3:09 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
I like the ANA boarding music.

Their safety video too for that matter. Notice how many times they use the word please!

Last edited by SparseFlyer; Oct 26, 15 at 3:16 am
Old Oct 26, 15, 5:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
The topic has been brought up before, and boarding music ceased when gate to gate IFE was introduced combined with limitations of the Thales system. Boarding music/boarding videos have been projected over the P.A. system which caused an interrupt to the IFE - it was an either or situation. Next generation aircraft and soon to be converted 777's and 330's have the Panasonic eX system, and there is a tab on the software for boarding music without disengaging the IFE - perhaps it is making a comeback.
Old Oct 26, 15, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
The topic has been brought up before, and boarding music ceased when gate to gate IFE was introduced combined with limitations of the Thales system. Boarding music/boarding videos have been projected over the P.A. system which caused an interrupt to the IFE - it was an either or situation. Next generation aircraft and soon to be converted 777's and 330's have the Panasonic eX system, and there is a tab on the software for boarding music without disengaging the IFE - perhaps it is making a comeback.
It works on most of the top arilines of the world, except AC finds excuses for everything.
Old Oct 26, 15, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
It works on most of the top arilines of the world, except AC finds excuses for everything.
Re-read. Engaging the boarding music (a P.A. function) via the Thales System interrupted gate to gate IFE which clearly the Customer wanted. Other airlines have boarding music/videos which interrupts the IFE as I recently experienced on LAN.
Old Oct 26, 15, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by winnipegrev View Post
I remember that ACTV slideshow displayed on the projectors with music. If anyone has a link to it, I'd appreciate it.
I am also in search of this "actv" (lower case, if I remember it correctly), with the slideshows. Yes, if anyone has a link, I'd love to know as well.

Cheers
Old Oct 26, 15, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by lespoir View Post
I am also in search of this "actv" (lower case, if I remember it correctly), with the slideshows. Yes, if anyone has a link, I'd love to know as well.

Cheers
Doubt there'd be a link. Series of boarding videos first on VHS followed by Hi-8 and projected over Sony Transcom & TEAC last generation systems.
Old Oct 26, 15, 2:47 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Looks like AC didn't want to pay fees to SOCAN for playing boarding music on the ground.

The fees are as follows:

http://www.socan.ca/tariff/Infocard_13A_EN.pdf

Or perhaps AC was previously playing boarding music and someone reported them to SOCAN?
Old Oct 27, 15, 2:03 pm

I like the music they play in the washrooms on Air New Zealand. Gets louder when you lock the door. The fake bookshelf wall paper is also quite entertaining.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: