Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AD (Azul) - new AC partner in Brazil?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AT Gold, National Exec Elite

A huge Brazilian flight deals blog is reporting that AC and AD (Azul) will announce a FFP partnership this week. Apparently CEO let the news slip in a news interview slip-up: http://www.melhoresdestinos.com.br/a...tml#more-55794

Would make sense, since AD is already a codeshare and FFP partner for UA.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
But with O6 already being a partner and within the alliance, why would they need this? I mean I guess it can never hurt to have too many partners but I'm just not sure I can make sense of this, especially with GOL just signing the interline agreement.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:52 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drvannostren
But with O6 already being a partner and within the alliance, why would they need this? I mean I guess it can never hurt to have too many partners but I'm just not sure I can make sense of this, especially with GOL just signing the interline agreement.
I'm happy to hear this from my side; although Avianca Brasil is part of *A, losing TAM was a bit of a blow. TAM was the largest airline in Brazil, and O6 is the 4th; with Azul being the 2nd largest, this could help to recapture some routes. Well, now they have the #2, 3, and 4 airlines in Brazil as partners... so perhaps a little overkill.

Also, here's hoping there is more than a max of 100% miles earned with Azul, like O6 is limited to.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AT Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Absolute
I'm happy to hear this from my side; although Avianca Brasil is part of *A, losing TAM was a bit of a blow. TAM was the largest airline in Brazil, and O6 is the 4th; with Azul being the 2nd largest, this could help to recapture some routes. Well, now they have the #2, 3, and 4 airlines in Brazil as partners... so perhaps a little overkill.

Also, here's hoping there is more than a max of 100% miles earned with Azul, like O6 is limited to.
The problem with all Brazilian airlines other than TAM is very limited coverage from GRU, where the bulk of international flights land. (Even JJ isn't bursting at the seams with GRU connections.)

And who knows, with the weaker Brazilian economy, all airlines flying to the country are hurting… if it comes to fruition, maybe it's an effort on the part of AC to get as many feeders as possible, at least in the short to medium term.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by drvannostren
The O6 network is a sideshow compared to Azul's.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
July 8 2020

Info and details in links below:

Aeroplan Adds South America’s Azul As Mileage Earn and Burn Partner (VFTW)

https://viewfromthewing.com/aeroplan...-burn-partner/

New: Earn & Redeem Air Canada Aeroplan Miles On Azul (OMAAT)

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-aeroplan-azul/

Aeroplan Partner page for Azul

https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...AzulAirlines#/
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
July 8 2020

Info and details in links below:

Aeroplan Adds South America’s Azul As Mileage Earn and Burn Partner (VFTW)

https://viewfromthewing.com/aeroplan...-burn-partner/

New: Earn & Redeem Air Canada Aeroplan Miles On Azul (OMAAT)

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-aeroplan-azul/

Aeroplan Partner page for Azul

https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...AzulAirlines#/
Given that the main shareholder is/was also the main/a significant shareholder of TP, that makes lots of sense.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Timing is everything and considering Brazil right now, perhaps this announcement is something that should have been postponed.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Timing is everything and considering Brazil right now, perhaps this announcement is something that should have been postponed.
No. If the partnership was ready to go now, there's no rational reason to delay announcing it.
NB_Falcon likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No. If the partnership was ready to go now, there's no rational reason to delay announcing it.
Does it make sense to promote anything that can be interpreted as corporate irresponsibility that might damage the brand value? It is not the best time to promote anything travel related to Brazil. The announcement should have waited until Canadians can fly to Brazil or use the airline being promoted.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 11, 2020 at 11:06 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:31 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Does it make sense to promote anything that can be interpreted as corporate irresponsibility that might damage the brand value? It is not the best time to promote anything travel related to Brazil. The announcement should have waited until Canadians can fly to Brazil or use the airline being promoted.
This is a massive overreaction. This is a tiny piece on the company's website, not a splashy multi-platform ad campaign.
NB_Falcon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.