Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AD (Azul) - new AC partner in Brazil?

AD (Azul) - new AC partner in Brazil?

Old Oct 14, 15, 2:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: YOW
Programs: A3*G, National Exec Elite
Posts: 69
AD (Azul) - new AC partner in Brazil?

A huge Brazilian flight deals blog is reporting that AC and AD (Azul) will announce a FFP partnership this week. Apparently CEO let the news slip in a news interview slip-up: http://www.melhoresdestinos.com.br/a...tml#more-55794

Would make sense, since AD is already a codeshare and FFP partner for UA.
jonnyow is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 3:23 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 4,291
But with O6 already being a partner and within the alliance, why would they need this? I mean I guess it can never hurt to have too many partners but I'm just not sure I can make sense of this, especially with GOL just signing the interline agreement.
drvannostren is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 3:52 pm
  #3  
SPG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: YOW
Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,651
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
But with O6 already being a partner and within the alliance, why would they need this? I mean I guess it can never hurt to have too many partners but I'm just not sure I can make sense of this, especially with GOL just signing the interline agreement.
I'm happy to hear this from my side; although Avianca Brasil is part of *A, losing TAM was a bit of a blow. TAM was the largest airline in Brazil, and O6 is the 4th; with Azul being the 2nd largest, this could help to recapture some routes. Well, now they have the #2, 3, and 4 airlines in Brazil as partners... so perhaps a little overkill.

Also, here's hoping there is more than a max of 100% miles earned with Azul, like O6 is limited to.
Absolute is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 6:35 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: YOW
Programs: A3*G, National Exec Elite
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
I'm happy to hear this from my side; although Avianca Brasil is part of *A, losing TAM was a bit of a blow. TAM was the largest airline in Brazil, and O6 is the 4th; with Azul being the 2nd largest, this could help to recapture some routes. Well, now they have the #2, 3, and 4 airlines in Brazil as partners... so perhaps a little overkill.

Also, here's hoping there is more than a max of 100% miles earned with Azul, like O6 is limited to.
The problem with all Brazilian airlines other than TAM is very limited coverage from GRU, where the bulk of international flights land. (Even JJ isn't bursting at the seams with GRU connections.)

And who knows, with the weaker Brazilian economy, all airlines flying to the country are hurting… if it comes to fruition, maybe it's an effort on the part of AC to get as many feeders as possible, at least in the short to medium term.
jonnyow is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 11:56 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SJC
Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
But with O6 already being a partner and within the alliance, why would they need this? I mean I guess it can never hurt to have too many partners but I'm just not sure I can make sense of this, especially with GOL just signing the interline agreement.
The O6 network is a sideshow compared to Azul's.
nerdbirdsjc is offline  
Old Jul 8, 20, 10:31 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,430
July 8 2020

Info and details in links below:


Aeroplan Adds South America’s Azul As Mileage Earn and Burn Partner (VFTW)

https://viewfromthewing.com/aeroplan...-burn-partner/


New: Earn & Redeem Air Canada Aeroplan Miles On Azul (OMAAT)

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-aeroplan-azul/


Aeroplan Partner page for Azul

https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...AzulAirlines#/
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
24left is offline  
Old Jul 8, 20, 10:49 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,468
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
July 8 2020

Info and details in links below:


Aeroplan Adds South America’s Azul As Mileage Earn and Burn Partner (VFTW)

https://viewfromthewing.com/aeroplan...-burn-partner/


New: Earn & Redeem Air Canada Aeroplan Miles On Azul (OMAAT)

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-aeroplan-azul/


Aeroplan Partner page for Azul

https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...AzulAirlines#/
Given that the main shareholder is/was also the main/a significant shareholder of TP, that makes lots of sense.
Stranger is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 2:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the air
Programs: Tinder
Posts: 2,669
Timing is everything and considering Brazil right now, perhaps this announcement is something that should have been postponed.
Transpacificflyer is offline  
Old Jul 10, 20, 2:28 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 8,847
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
Timing is everything and considering Brazil right now, perhaps this announcement is something that should have been postponed.
No. If the partnership was ready to go now, there's no rational reason to delay announcing it.
NB_Falcon likes this.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Jul 11, 20, 9:24 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the air
Programs: Tinder
Posts: 2,669
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
No. If the partnership was ready to go now, there's no rational reason to delay announcing it.
Does it make sense to promote anything that can be interpreted as corporate irresponsibility that might damage the brand value? It is not the best time to promote anything travel related to Brazil. The announcement should have waited until Canadians can fly to Brazil or use the airline being promoted.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 11, 20 at 11:06 pm Reason: Off topic
Transpacificflyer is offline  
Old Jul 11, 20, 10:31 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 8,847
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
Does it make sense to promote anything that can be interpreted as corporate irresponsibility that might damage the brand value? It is not the best time to promote anything travel related to Brazil. The announcement should have waited until Canadians can fly to Brazil or use the airline being promoted.
This is a massive overreaction. This is a tiny piece on the company's website, not a splashy multi-platform ad campaign.
NB_Falcon likes this.
Adam Smith is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: