Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread: CIBC Aeroplan credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master thread: CIBC Aeroplan credit cards

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
My statements get issued late in the month, and I got my SQM/SQS fine for April. Did you spend enough on the last statement to generate the boost?
Yup. I spent $8,900 so I should see at least 1,000 SQM. April’s posted fine. The only change I see is the new EDQ reporting (which is likely useless for most of us). I've sent an email to the super elite email address.

Last edited by Benner; May 10, 2021 at 10:33 am Reason: AQM > SQM and EQD > EDQ
Old May 10, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by Benner
Yup. I spent $8,900 so I should see at least 1,000 SQM.
Your previous post said CIBC Aeroplan Infinite, do you have VI or VIP? If VI it's 1000 SQM per $10,000 (cumulative since start of year)
Old May 10, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Your previous post said CIBC Aeroplan Infinite, do you have VI or VIP? If VI it's 1000 SQM per $10,000 (cumulative since start of year)
Sorry. VIP.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm trying to figure out why CIBC's bonus miles for travel and dining on the VIP card (1.5 points per $ vs the 1.25 base earn rate) post separately to Aeroplan from the same bonus on gas and grocery... Maybe because the regular Infinite card gets the gas and grocery but not travel and dining, and somehow it's easier for them to post it that way?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:00 pm

I'm trying to figure out why CIBC's bonus miles for travel and dining on the VIP card (1.5 points per $ vs the 1.25 base earn rate) post separately to Aeroplan from the same bonus on gas and grocery... Maybe because the regular Infinite card gets the gas and grocery but not travel and dining, and somehow it's easier for them to post it that way?
Or maybe it allows them to offer different promos for each category? Though I think that gas has a promo right now, and that's not separate.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Cerberus
Thanks for the info Adam, much appreciated. I currently have a CIBC Adventura Infinite card. I can't see the value of paying nearly 600/year for the Aeroplan Infinite Privilege Card unfortunately in my use case
@Cerberus, I understand the annual fee is quite high, and for years I stuck with the regular Infinite card rather than the privilege because I felt the same way. Have you given it a thorough evaluation in light of the new benefits though? For the extra $460 a year, you get:
  • Rollover of up to 50 eUps
  • Rollover of SQM/SQS beyond what status you qualify for
  • Discounted pricing on Aeroplan redemptions
  • Bonus SQM/SQS for spending on the card
  • 1.25 points per $ basic earning vs 1/$ on the Aventura
  • Right now, there's a promo on to uptier your status for next year if you spend $10K on the card in the next couple months

The big question might be on the relative value of Aeroplan points vs Aventura points, and I don't have much insight in to that. Apologies if you've already considered all this, but just thought I'd share my thoughts on the VIP card, since I did see a material positive change in the value proposition with the new program.
Cerberus and painintheuk like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Thanks for the info Adam, much appreciated.

I currently have a CIBC Adventura Infinite card. I can't see the value of paying nearly 600/year for the Aeroplan Infinite Privilege Card unfortunately in my use case
I was originally thinking along the same lines and my SO was DEFINITELY thinking the same but with the AMEX Reserve card.

It has worked out OK for me and, due to cash back promos on the Reserve card, cost me less than my old AMEX Aeroplan Gold card (that I have now ditched). See my post at:

CASH BACK PAYS OFF

I am sure there won't be as many cash back promos next year but one never knows.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Aug 17, 2021 at 11:38 am
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
@Cerberus, I understand the annual fee is quite high, and for years I stuck with the regular Infinite card rather than the privilege because I felt the same way. Have you given it a thorough evaluation in light of the new benefits though? For the extra $460 a year, you get:
  • Rollover of up to 50 eUps
  • Rollover of SQM/SQS beyond what status you qualify for
  • Discounted pricing on Aeroplan redemptions
  • Bonus SQM/SQS for spending on the card
  • 1.25 points per $ basic earning vs 1/$ on the Aventura
  • Right now, there's a promo on to uptier your status for next year if you spend $10K on the card in the next couple months

The big question might be on the relative value of Aeroplan points vs Aventura points, and I don't have much insight in to that. Apologies if you've already considered all this, but just thought I'd share my thoughts on the VIP card, since I did see a material positive change in the value proposition with the new program.
So after reviewing your notes and then having a chat with my wife and CIBC, I was able to start the process to switch us over the Aeroplan Infinite Privilege card. Didn't hurt that I was able to get them to waive the annual fee once. Now, the question is, how do I get the upgrades that I currently have to roll over?

Many thanks again for your help and information Adam!
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:32 pm

So after reviewing your notes and then having a chat with my wife and CIBC, I was able to start the process to switch us over the Aeroplan Infinite Privilege card. Didn't hurt that I was able to get them to waive the annual fee once. Now, the question is, how do I get the upgrades that I currently have to roll over?

Congrats on getting a fee waiver! You shouldn't need to do anything to rollover the e-upgrades. At the end of the year 50 should roll over automatically, though they may not appear in your account until March.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:33 pm

Didn't hurt that I was able to get them to waive the annual fee once.
Good result! I didn't manage to get that.

Now, the question is, how do I get the upgrades that I currently have to roll over?
You don't need to do anything, they'll just roll over automatically, as long as you keep the card through at least the end of the year.

Happy to help
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2MM, bonvoy titanium lifetime, united silver
Did anyone else not receive their CIBC visa infinite privilege sqm for October ? I got the aeroplan points but no sqm and am now on the maddening aeroplan saying call CIBC and CIBC saying call aeroplan carousel of frustration.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by gadflyboy
Did anyone else not receive their CIBC visa infinite privilege sqm for October ? I got the aeroplan points but no sqm and am now on the maddening aeroplan saying call CIBC and CIBC saying call aeroplan carousel of frustration.
Probably a stupid question, but did you cross a $5k threshold to get it? I didn't get SQM, but also didn't spend much that month. I don't keep close enough track, really.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2MM, bonvoy titanium lifetime, united silver
Not a stupid question at all. I did indeed cross the threshold. Between the flight and the credit card 20 k plus sqm for October have not been credited…😭
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:58 pm

Did anyone else not receive their CIBC visa infinite privilege sqm for October ?
Yes, I got mine. Showed up at the same time as the Aeroplan points.
gadflyboy likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Got mine 3 days after the points
gadflyboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.