Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Enhancements to Policy on Musical Instruments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC E35, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by biglinguist
Family members and I sometimes travel with guitars, so I'm very happy to see this. But I'm betting maybe one GA in a hundred will know about the rule allowing guitars as carry-on even if they exceed the carry-on dimensions.

As to the concern about people using instrument cases as giant carry-on luggage... maybe they'll make you open the case and play a tune? "Oh my God! Somebody has replaced my guitar with socks!"
I'm pretty sure that I can get a harmonica to squawk a little bit.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This shall hereafter be known as a "Kazoo Fare."
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cperciva
As a violinist, the pre-board part here is hugely important. I've always (eventually) found overhead bin space, but I've always been worried about it; knowing that a $20k violin will get into the overhead bin before all the $50 suitcases even board takes a lot of the stress away.
Do you want the people with $50 suitcases to be shuffling your violin around, ramming their bags against it?

I can see the benefit for boarding later

Originally Posted by biglinguist
Good point. Maybe cow and his friends could fit snowboards in them, though.
Hey, I don't need this - I have a three bag allowance!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do you want the people with $50 suitcases to be shuffling your violin around, ramming their bags against it?
Doesn't really matter. I bash my violin case into things all the time... that's why it's in a case.

The nightmare scenario is "sorry, there's no overhead bin space left, your violin will have to go into the cargo hold", since luggage down there gets exposed to far more than just a bit of shuffling...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Certain children may qualify as musical instruments.
Lol. I had a good laugh with that one
Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Doesn't really matter. I bash my violin case into things all the time... that's why it's in a case.

The nightmare scenario is "sorry, there's no overhead bin space left, your violin will have to go into the cargo hold", since luggage down there gets exposed to far more than just a bit of shuffling...
Insist on buying excess valuation insurance from the GA. That is enough of a PITA that they may forget about the "cargo hold" stuff.

I have no problem with professional musicians needing to bring their instruments on board; what annoys me are no-talent hipster D-bags insisting they have to bring their guitars on board so they can torture their friends and relatives at their destination and then getting upset when told they can't use up the overhead space for three regular rollaboards.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
* String instruments (e.g. guitars, violins and violas) can be carried on board - even if their dimensions slightly exceed our carry-on size limits.
Wonder where they plan to store a double bass.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Insist on buying excess valuation insurance from the GA. That is enough of a PITA that they may forget about the "cargo hold" stuff.

I have no problem with professional musicians needing to bring their instruments on board; what annoys me are no-talent hipster D-bags insisting they have to bring their guitars on board so they can torture their friends and relatives at their destination and then getting upset when told they can't use up the overhead space for three regular rollaboards.
Worse... The no-talent hipster d-bags play them on the flight as their d-bag hipster friends sing along to some obscure song that they only know and think they are hot poop because nobody else knows.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
As a violinist, the pre-board part here is hugely important. I've always (eventually) found overhead bin space, but I've always been worried about it; knowing that a $20k violin will get into the overhead bin before all the $50 suitcases even board takes a lot of the stress away.
My concern has always been the Wally the Slob and Edna multi bag folks who toss their bags into the bin and/or shove everything aside to make room for their oversized bags. I have been on rapidair flights where one of these people will demand (not ask) that my small briefcase be removed and put under my seat so that one of their extra bags can fit. I shudder to think what they do with small instrument cases. AC still can't control its Wally and Ednas on its flights.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite

So what's the rationale for this change? Presumably to legitimize telling people if they want to bring a guitar on board that they must purchase the second seat? How do they secure the instrument for take-off/landing?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This shall hereafter be known as a "Kazoo Fare."
+1!

LOL
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
My $50 suitcase is more important to me, than your $20K violin to me though.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:43 pm

Probably a really bad move to put your violin in the overhead bin first. Take your seat early and rest easy knowing everyone boarding after you is throwing about 100lbs of bags on top of your 20K instrument.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
I did find the change in the AC policy interesting. I am a musician - not professional - but I do play and travel a bit. One of my instruments is an Alto Saxophone - 60 years old - irreplaceable. It weights around 5 kg in its case and is quite small. I've always put it in the overhead and I would never check it - even if I had a proper case.

The new rules are not great as officially they say that I can not take it on because it is over-sized. It is a bit long, but it is narrow and light weight. This policy makes no sense and I don't know why they just don't go back to the old one.

There is a reasonable size limit. Some of the instruments are extremely valuable and can not be replaced and the last thing you need is some baggage handler scribbling a message in permanent pen on your instrument.

I will continue to chance it but the policy makes no sense and is really quite an inconvenience for me. I actually would change my carrier to one that is more liberal.

Come on AC - just go back to what it was. You don't even normally have one instrument on a flight so this is truly a rare occurrence.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
So what's the rationale for this change? Presumably to legitimize telling people if they want to bring a guitar on board that they must purchase the second seat? How do they secure the instrument for take-off/landing?
I saw it happen once, a larger instrument. It must be placed in a window seat in a non-exit row, and they secure it to the seat using seatbelt extenders. If the owner did not pre-board, it would be a significant disruption to the orderly boarding process.

Not sure what they would do though if a passenger booked J for him/herself, and booked Y for the instrument.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.