Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Would you pay for an Aeroplan 24-hour hold policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:21 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat

Some programs are more generous with their award ticket hold policies (Korean and AA come to mind) while others don't have a hold policy at all (BA, AC).

Personally, I would be more than happy to pay a reasonable non-ref amount to hold Aeroplan reservations for 24 hours. Or at least the ability to cancel within 24 hours for less than the current fee of $90.

How about you guys?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm just waiting until I actually need to cancel within 24 hours so I can file a DOT complaint.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have used United's 'fare lock' where you can lock in a fare for 7 days for ~$US30.

On some occasions I would be willing to pay to lock in an Aeroplan itinerary for a period of time...but probably no more than $30.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:31 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm just waiting until I actually need to cancel within 24 hours so I can file a DOT complaint.
How would this work though for itineraries that don't involve the US?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plumber
I have used United's 'fare lock' where you can lock in a fare for 7 days for ~$US30.
You can do it for 3 days for free if you know what I mean

Originally Posted by Far Siren
How would this work though for itineraries that don't involve the US?
To start, 95% of my itineraries start or end in SFO

My address on file is SFO, so they charge me everything in USD, so I think there may be something there too.

I'm not saying a DOT complaint against Aeroplan is useful if you live in YYZ and only book YYZ-YVR, but I'll take whatever legal avenues I can.

Actually there was a wholly domestic Canada itinerary I booked earlier this year and then wanted to cancel within 24 hours. I should go over the DOT policy again. But my guess is it's something like "US ticket issuers" or "itineraries involving the US", so it probably wouldn't be covered.

Reminds me I got an email back from the FAA this morning about the PFC. It said I should call them
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I would, but only if I hadn't already gone through the effort of calling in, if I'm gonna have to call spend that $30 and another $30 on top to hold it? Nah, I'm just gonna pull the trigger if I get what I want.

But I'd be in favor of this if they improved the search to actually be able to book the stuff we all have to call for. It'd save them lots of money too. Employee 0 call agents, give me a site that has some teeth and then employee some good IT people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.