Search

Latest AC Listens survey - wine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Silvercity
SG serves Krug Champgne and 2nd Grorth Bordeaux and it worth staying up on an overnight flight.
Are you talking J or F?

F is a very different kettle of fish and not a fair comparison.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Silvercity
I have personally given up on the Wine. In 2 years I don't even drink or let alone ask what they have. The wine is pure garbage. Yes you heard me say that! If you understand how they buy it you would get this. It's massed produced specifically for airlines and bought at less than $10 per bottle.
Interesting. As indicated upthread, I'm no fan of the current AC wines, but are you sure about that?

Most of the AC wines can be purchased via regular retail distribution channels.

Even if the wines were specifically made for the airlines, that's not necessarily an indication of poor quality. I visited a winery near CPT a few years ago where barrels were marked with the customers' name which included CX and LH. Probably no top-of-the-shelf wines, but perfectly drinkable.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
I can't be the only FF who would prefer a great beer list to a great wine list...

SN and LH whoop AC here.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by D404
I can't be the only FF who would prefer a great beer list to a great wine list...

SN and LH whoop AC here.
That's an excellent point - they should be able to put together an "interesting" J beer list (could be all domestic micro breweries) and would cost very little more than the dreck currently on offer - and likely cheaper for them than having people drink wine (unless lav flushes are expensive ).

Problem is I think they are tied to an exclusivity contract with Molson-Coors (who also rep the lone import brand on offer- Heineken).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
On the BRU route they should serve Westvleteren 12 in J
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Ugh the beer. God.

The beer choice on AC is actually why I stared drinking wine. The wine choice on AC is why I started drinking hard liquor.

AC has driven me to alcoholism because of their crappy beer and wine
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC has driven me to alcoholism because of their crappy beer and wine
So that's your "crutch" reasoning?

You should join AA... not the airline.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
On the BRU route they should serve Westvleteren 12 in J
They could serve any of a few dozen different types of Belgian beer and be better off than any of the choices they have now!

My guess is that weight (bottles vs. cans) plays a major factor in their beer choices, even aside from the contract with Molson that another poster points out.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC, WS, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
Problem is I think they are tied to an exclusivity contract with Molson-Coors (who also rep the lone import brand on offer- Heineken).
I would be perfectly happy with one of Molson's "captive" craft brands, even on a limited basis (e.g. Granville Islane ex-YVR, Creemore ex-YYZ).

While they're at it, put it on tap in the MLL (DL does a pretty good job with Sweetwater in the SkyClub).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Get rid of the Drappier Champagne already!

Back to the wine topic... I was very pleased to see this latest Air Canada Listens survey. ^

How long has AC been serving Drappier as their only choice of Champagne? Hopefully this is an indication that AC is finally going to change it. There are plenty of other Champagnes at the same or slightly higher price point.

Since most of the other wine on board is plonk... at least it's nice to have a decent Champagne to fall back on.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't know if they still do this, but in F, SQ sometimes picks certain flights (probably only A380's) to have unobtainable/crazy bottles of wine (I think they rotate 6 per year?). I got lucky once to have such a flight (LAX->SIN) and it was a Pauillac Grand Gru from 198..something. I remember looking it up and it was a 2500$ bottle.

Maybe we can have that kind of service on AC one day?

rotfl.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by Stranger
I strongly disagree. Food and drink in international J just sucks.
Hit and miss, perhaps. Definitely room for improvement. I was happy to see this survey. Some minor and probably inexpensive tweaks might go a long way.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I wonder if they got this idea from FT? But how about an open ended AC listens survey? Like Ac is actually listening...... tell us what you would like to.........
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by screw2000
I would be perfectly happy with one of Molson's "captive" craft brands, even on a limited basis (e.g. Granville Islane ex-YVR, Creemore ex-YYZ).

While they're at it, put it on tap in the MLL (DL does a pretty good job with Sweetwater in the SkyClub).
I like the beer they have in YYZ. I don't remember what it's called. But it's the only lounge I actually have a beer in
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by why fly
look who posted that and ask yourself really?????
Objection. Badgering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.