Search

Latest AC Listens survey - wine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Latest AC Listens survey - wine

Just completed the latest AC listens survey. after asking how often I flew in Business Class, I got a bunch of questions related to their wine offering in International Business Class.

Hopefully this is a sign that they are finally looking to invest something to upgrade what they make available to us.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
This is so typical of AC. Here they are down in the weeds worrying about what kind of wine they're serving, while they apparently ignore the fact that when it comes to getting people to their destinations on time with a reasonable level of comfort and service, they suck.

Bens, listen up (again!): the on-board product is fine once the wheels leave the ground. The service on the ground before and after the flight needs major improvement.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Funny, I don't have significant issues with "service on the ground" - at least issues within AC's control.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Sopwith
This is so typical of AC. Here they are down in the weeds worrying about what kind of wine they're serving, while they apparently ignore the fact that when it comes to getting people to their destinations on time with a reasonable level of comfort and service, they suck.

Bens, listen up (again!): the on-board product is fine once the wheels leave the ground. The service on the ground before and after the flight needs major improvement.
Perhaps because the topic of food and beverage is extremely prevalent here on FT
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
Funny, I don't have significant issues with "service on the ground" - at least issues within AC's control.
Agreed

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Perhaps because the topic of food and beverage is extremely prevalent here on FT
Well come on now. I demand a $300 bottle of wine and $120 steak dinner, cooked to perfection. Anything less is just a sign that the airline isn't putting enough effort in.

But no, I find the service is generally great. Which reminds me, I need to write in about a couple incidents (crappy catering and awesome service).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sopwith
I strongly disagree. Food and drink in international J just sucks.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apart from the time for priority luggage to show up at YYZ, I mostly agree.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just completed the latest AC listens survey. after asking how often I flew in Business Class, I got a bunch of questions related to their wine offering in International Business Class.

Hopefully this is a sign that they are finally looking to invest something to upgrade what they make available to us.
Actually a decent survey IMO.

And indeed, it would be nice if AC upgraded the wine offering.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Personally I hope somebody checked off <Amarone> on the wish list -- good Amarone.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Personally I hope somebody checked off <Amarone> on the wish list -- good Amarone.
Agree that Amarone would be a fantastic choice for J - a strong flavour profile to help deal with the numbing of the taste buds at altitude.

Problem was we could only pick countries on one page and grape varieties on another. Corvina was not one of the available choices.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite

Yes, but did they really need a survey to tell them the present selections suck? Consistently? They have sucked hard for years. Anybody with a tongue and functioning taste buds could tell them that. The fact that they need a survey to show this is just depressing.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Agreed on both accounts.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like Amarone and I would be happy to see it on the list. However I don't really see Amarone as being well suited for a plane wine list.

Plus, a decent one surely would be way more than (an event increased) AC wine budget, I would think. Probably at least twice what they spend today. I could see them going up a bit, maybe by 30 to 50%, but I suspect it's not reasonable to expect they would double the budget.

If they would get rid of Ken and his fixation with fruit and look for someone with a concern for balance, that would help for starters.

(Mind you, amarone is all about fruit and nothing for balance. But at least it's a good wine and I do like it. However it's difficult with food. Nice for sipping with friends after dinner.)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold

so is downgrading passengers from PE to Y and yet AC still does nothing about compensation/refunds, even after Ben was alerted.
But there is always hope that will be the next survey.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Personally, I don't think selecting some decent/drinkable wines is rocket science.

A reasonably safe bet would be to have a look at the "by the glass" wines served at 5* hotels (which usually retail for ~$20CAD/bottle).

You'd likely end up with a:

- a *quality* Canadian Chardonnay or Sauviugnon Blanc
- a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
- an Australian Shiraz
- a South African Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinotage
- an Argentian Malbec
- a French wine

Once implemented, one could replace 1-2 of the above with somewhat "outside the box" choices.

AC could also partner with some Canadian wineries and feature a different wine every month on int'l routes (otherwise number of wineries is likely very limited). IMO both NZ and SA do an excellent job at featuring domeatic wines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.