Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latest AC Listens survey - wine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Funny how we both arrived at $1M in savings using different parameters (we only agreed on the number of days.)

(I shall use this as an example the next time I teach someone about approximations and how one doesn't need to know the exact number for each parameter.)
I'm pretty confident on the tax/duty savings, but the number of flights was a very rough calc while looking at a map.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:32 pm

(I shall use this as an example the next time I teach someone about approximations and how one doesn't need to know the exact number for each parameter.)
Best Reference: https://what-if.xkcd.com/84/
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rehoult
Thanks - I only remembered it was an Italian guy who discussed this issue at length, but had forgotten his name was Fermi.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Funny how we both arrived at $1M in savings using different parameters (we only agreed on the number of days.)

You have all done Fermi proud (not the ET part... but the Fermi Problem part).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks - I only remembered it was an Italian guy who discussed this issue at length, had had forgotten his name was Fermi.
Great minds think alike ^
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Great minds think alike ^
Indeed.

Now the interesting question is: How many hours/days did the AC beancounter spend on coming to the same conclusion?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:46 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
How difficult could it be to get a decent Rioja at least. Great QPR and so much selection to choose from.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Indeed.

Now the interesting question is: How many hours/days did the AC beancounter spend on coming to the same conclusion?
Same beancounter who back in the day figured out how much $ they could save by having AC J pax put on the earfoam thingy on the headsets?

Morons. Complete and sheer morons.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:36 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ridefar
Yes, but did they really need a survey to tell them the present selections suck? Consistently? They have sucked hard for years. Anybody with a tongue and functioning taste buds could tell them that. The fact that they need a survey to show this is just depressing.
Typical business management. . .

We are going to see specialty Niagara and Okanagan region wines depending on which coast you are leaving from. . .
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Typical business management. . .

We are going to see specialty Niagara and Okanagan region wines depending on which coast you are leaving from. . .
That would be fine with me, especially some of the Sauvignon Blancs from the Okanagan Valley are really good.

Though I'm not sure that'll happen unless AC can reach a mutually beneficial agreement with some of the wineries (major discounts in return for some marketing exposure).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Perhaps because the topic of food and beverage is extremely prevalent here on FT
The topic of dirty planes is quite prevalent as well. Yet, no survey, nor any action at all, seemingly taken taken to address it. Perhaps better wine in your filthy J pod will make the experience more palatable?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Agreed.

They need to serve the Drappier as part of J pre-board protocol.

Sick and tired of the "reasons" as to why they do not.
Chilled Drappier ,please.

I have asked for champagne pre-flight. If crew has time,I have been served champagne twice pre-flight.

There are some very nice Foxtrot Pinot Noirs and Chardonnay wines out of Okanagan as well as a LaFrenz Cab Sav. While there are great wines from the "rest of the world" , I find it appropriate that AC promote Canada.Heck< I would be fine with a Stoneboat bubbly that is very decent ,when chilled properly
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
The topic of dirty planes is quite prevalent as well. Yet, no survey, nor any action at all, seemingly taken taken to address it. Perhaps better wine in your filthy J pod will make the experience more palatable?
You seriously expect a survey about dirty aircrafts?

What questions would you expect?
"How much do you enjoy sitting in a dirty seat on a scale form 1 to 5?"
"Please rank the following types of dirt based on your perceived level of acceptance: spilled drinks, finterprints on monitor, crumbs everywhere, dead animals, living animals, used issues"

/sarcasm off

And yes, I agree, the cleanliness of some of the pods leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
I have personally given up on the Wine. In 2 years I don't even drink or let alone ask what they have. The wine is pure garbage. Yes you heard me say that! If you understand how they buy it you would get this. It's massed produced specifically for airlines and bought at less than $10 per bottle. If you want wine that works at 30,000ft mostly only French Bordeaux, Burgundy, and or Rhone. Yes I love a collect lots French wine but it matches food like no other. Yes serve Amarone with desert as the wine was intended to for. A good Italian Chianti would suffice as well. All in all AC does care like other airlines that make an effort. SG serves Krug Champgne and 2nd Grorth Bordeaux and it worth staying up on an overnight flight.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
You seriously expect a survey about dirty aircrafts?

What questions would you expect?
"How much do you enjoy sitting in a dirty seat on a scale form 1 to 5?"
"Please rank the following types of dirt based on your perceived level of acceptance: spilled drinks, finterprints on monitor, crumbs everywhere, dead animals, living animals, used issues"

/sarcasm off

And yes, I agree, the cleanliness of some of the pods leaves a lot to be desired.
No of course I don't clearly my sarcasm was lost. My point was rather than if AC are using the frequency of certain topic being discussed here to drive actions, I'd prefer they cleaned the damn planes before they focused too much energy on improving the wine offering. As someone else put it, it smacks of tinkering around the edges without fixing some of the more fundamental issues. I suppose its more fun to be involved in wine improvements than what seem to be difficult, but fundamentally more important actions!

Last edited by AtlanticXpat; Aug 28, 2015 at 6:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.