Search

Latest AC Listens survey - wine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
AC could also partner with some Canadian wineries and feature a different wine every month on int'l routes (otherwise number of wineries is likely very limited). IMO both NZ and SA do an excellent job at featuring domeatic wines.
I commented about this in the survey - I think AC should take it upon itself to actively promote the "brand" of Canada including serving at least one very good Canadian wine - preferably from a mid-sized winery that is big enough to meet AC's needs but not "industrial".

Although expensive, but I think they should also offer icewine with dessert.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by The Lev
Just completed the latest AC listens survey. after asking how often I flew in Business Class, I got a bunch of questions related to their wine offering in International Business Class.

Hopefully this is a sign that they are finally looking to invest something to upgrade what they make available to us.
I don't drink wine, so this doesn't really impact me, but having posted TATL and TPAC menus for the last several months - the frickin' wine list has been the same.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
How about real champagne in J. At least for TPAC's. I don't even like champagne, but gobbled it up on BR ^ Thought it was real classy
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
How about real champagne in J. At least for TPAC's. I don't even like champagne, but gobbled it up on BR ^ Thought it was real classy
At does serve real (French) Champagne in int'l J: Drappier

(not to be confused with the "sparkling wine" served pre-departure)

While BR spends 3-4x as much per bottle, the Drappier AC serves is perfectly drinkable.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
At does serve real (French) Champagne in int'l J: Drappier

(not to be confused with the "sparkling wine" served pre-departure)

While BR spends 3-4x as much per bottle, the Drappier AC serves is perfectly drinkable.
Agreed.

They need to serve the Drappier as part of J pre-board protocol.

Sick and tired of the "reasons" as to why they do not.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Agreed.

They need to serve the Drappier as part of J pre-board protocol.

Sick and tired of the "reasons" as to why they do not.
Why do they not?

On BR, the FA had 3 waters, 3 orange juices, and 1 champagne in her tray. I was like...duh, champagne. And when I downed it, she asked me what I wanted. Take a guess

I'd be lucky to get another glass of water/OJ on the ground on AC while waiting for the plebs to board....<ok a bit dykwia lol>
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:06 pm

? Drappier is Champagne and is loaded on all mainline TPAC & TATL flights.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do they not?

On BR, the FA had 3 waters, 3 orange juices, and 1 champagne in her tray. I was like...duh, champagne. And when I downed it, she asked me what I wanted. Take a guess

I'd be lucky to get another glass of water/OJ on the ground on AC while waiting for the plebs to board....<ok a bit dykwia lol>
I don't know why - from the other threads about the pre-board "sparkling wine", I still don't understand the garbage being said about "laws" or "protocols" despite every other airlines on this planet, and other planets in other galaxies service champagne before takeoff.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult
? Drappier is Champagne and is loaded on all mainline TPAC & TATL flights.
I think SAP is referring to pre-takeoff service in J, where they only serve the sparkling wine.

This whole thing defies any common sense to me.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know why - from the other threads about the pre-board "sparkling wine", I still don't understand the garbage being said about "laws" or "protocols" despite every other airlines on this planet, and other planets in other galaxies service champagne before takeoff.
IMO there's a very simple reason AC serves sparkling wine as the pre-departure drink: COST

(I believe AC needs to pay taxes on drinks consumed on the ground, so serving the real champagne in the air only makes accounting easier, but it really boils down to the cost of the bottle itself.)

Since AC serves 1-2 bottles pre-departure on every int'l flight, not serving the real champagne saves a lot of money. I'd guess the cost of the "sparking wine" is 1/3 of the Drappier.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO there's a very simple reason AC serves sparkling wine as the pre-departure drink: COST

(I believe AC needs to pay taxes on drinks consumed on the ground, so serving the real champagne in the air only makes accounting easier, but it really boils down to the cost of the bottle itself.)

Since AC serves 1-2 bottles pre-departure on every int'l flight, not serving the real champagne saves a lot of money. I'd guess the cost of the "sparking wine" is 1/3 of the Drappier.
*sigh*
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:18 pm
Suspended

I think SAP is referring to pre-takeoff service in J, where they only serve the sparkling wine.

This whole thing defies any common sense to me.
Correct ^

Who cheapens the product? The pax? NO. AC DOES.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*sigh*
Who cheapens the product? The pax? NO. AC DOES.
I don't disagree.

Just pointing out why AC probably chooses to serve the "sparkling wine" instead of the Drappier pre-departure.

I'd guess the savings are >$1m per year (assuming >100 int'l flights/day x 1-2 bottles/flight x >$25 savings/bottle), so some beancounter decided it wasn#t worth the investment.

The cynic in me may even argue there are "positive" spillover effects since some pax may choose to avoid drinking the proper champagne based on the taste of the pre-departure drink.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:23 pm

Exactly. They likely save ~$20 per bottle by serving US sparkling, which is duty free under NAFTA. Call it two (it's probably three) per TPAC/TATL flight, ~70 TPAC/TATL flights per day, 365 days per year and you've saved just over $1M.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult
Exactly. They likely save ~$20 per bottle by serving US sparkling, which is duty free under NAFTA. Call it two (it's probably three) per TPAC/TATL flight, ~70 TPAC/TATL flights per day, 365 days per year and you've saved just over $1M.
Funny how we both arrived at $1M in savings using different parameters (we only agreed on the number of days.)

(I shall use this as an example the next time I teach someone about approximations and how one doesn't need to know the exact number for each parameter.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.