Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Downgraded from business to economy on Lufthansa segment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Downgraded from business to economy on Lufthansa segment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:35 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Maybe.
That’s interesting. Sounds like a nightmare to me though. I enjoy travel , but your schedule seems very laborious. Not sure how much work can be done at clients or job sites etc given the travel time per week.
Must be very interesting. ^

I'm glad I am able to manage my travel more manageable levels and send staff for the rest.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RZR
That’s interesting. Sounds like a nightmare to me though. I enjoy travel , but your schedule seems very laborious. Not sure how much work can be done at clients or job sites etc given the travel time per week.
Must be very interesting. ^

I'm glad I am able to manage my travel more manageable levels and send staff for the rest.
I get compensated nicely. I am still relatively "young" and single so I doing just fine. Plus, wherever I go I have acquaintances and some friends so I get to be social in almost every city I go to on this planet.

Many here have the "woe is you" mentality of travel - but I am the opposite. I work hard and play hard, and get compensated well for the work-life balance. I make it the way I make it. Most others fail at that. The more I fly to different cities around the world, the more fun I have.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:37 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I get compensated nicely. I am still relatively "young" and single so I doing just fine. Plus, wherever I go I have acquaintances and some friends so I get to be social in almost every city I go to on this planet.

Many here have the "woe is you" mentality of travel - but I am the opposite. I work hard and play hard, and get compensated well for the work-life balance. I make it the way I make it. Most others fail at that. The more I fly to different cities around the world, the more fun I have.
Quodos ! year's ago i used to do 200k actual , fun for 2 years. Ventured on my own now and travel to the places I want and send staff to others. for me, it's better now this way. but , it was fun years ago,
I'm also still relatively young - have the same work and party philosophy.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So is this the lounge thread, or are we talking about an involuntary downgrade?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Welcome to our small-ish fraternity of 400K+ AQMers
Thanks yyznomad. I know you're a long time, dues-paying leading member of this fraternity.

I'm afraid my membership was brief - after 2 years >300k, I have since retrenched to about 150k AQM/yr by leaving my employer and launching my own business. I continue to enjoy travelling, but I'm at a stage of life where time with family is more important.

Someone asked above how 400k was possible - I was a large global company's lead expert in a specialized field. That tended to average 200-250k/yr, and then for 4 mos I ended up with simultaneous ongoing projects in South America and the Middle East that unexpectedly needed weekly and monthly visits, respectively. Paid J, of course, otherwise no way. Wasn't too bad, since I somehow don't suffer from jet lag; I would run half-day or full-day workshops, and had plenty of thinking time to get other work done at 35,000'. When opportunity presented itself, I would visit friends, or at least take half a day off to sightsee, go hiking, or attend a musical concert.

My former employer is now one of my clients, but I rather than "the system" calls the shots.

[Now, under the stern eye of canadiancow, we return to the topic at hand ]

Last edited by montrealer; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:48 pm Reason: Added trailer to keep us on topic; canadiancow is right....
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by yvrgary
YYZ-HKG, return J, every other week.

Or YVR-YYZ, return J, once a week, with a few side trips.
After the first 100K or so, why not switch to CX for variety if nothing else?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
There's a guy who flies United that did 1 million BIS one year. He's a FTer. I know one of his very regular routes is NA-SYD.
he has his own thread over at UA I think hes at 10mm now
Oh and UA will END First Class in all UA flights to SYD next year. but he seems to be OK with it.
All UA planes will be the 787-900's to SYD

here is the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...air-gs-53.html

Last edited by why fly; Aug 28, 2015 at 7:32 pm Reason: add thread
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Arcanum
After the first 100K or so, why not switch to CX for variety if nothing else?
Careful with this conversation! Dorian asked the same question by starting a new thread and it got locked and he got banned.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:56 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
As a data point, I was recently downgraded on an Aeroplan Business Award ticket. I realize that this is about paid business tickets, but it speaks to low compensation for those on Aeroplan tickets and knowing your options and outcomes.

It was 1 segment, on a 10 segment RTW equalling about 3 hours in business on Air India that we lost. The flight was cancelled by AI about 14 days prior to travel and re-timed to less frequencies per week.

We were offered the opportunity to re-book into other reward space. Options were to accept the involuntary downgrade into available economy space or stay another night in the Maldives ($500+ a night) to fly on another day where business award space was available. We ended up accepting the downgrade.

I wrote in to ask for compensation of 5000 Aeroplan miles each; the difference between an N/A Africa business / economy award divided by ten 75,000 / 10 = 7,500, rounded down to 5,000. I was told by the Aeroplan agents handling the re-booking that the compensation was "set", but I figured it wouldn't hurt to apply a reasonable argument.

After 5 months and two email requests to the Aeroplan documents address, we got a non distinction earning credit of 2,000 Aeroplan miles each.

Pretty pathetic compensation if you ask me. . . It goes to show that the good will isn't all to generous no matter what the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.