Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Extra services on *A partners as AC *G/elite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra services on *A partners as AC *G/elite?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvrgary
It's been fascinating watching the Euro carriers try to adjust to life in RyanWorld, for example, this new mini-site BA have launched to do a cost comparison against Ryanair and Easyjet.

http://www.britishairways.com.br/tra.../public/en_gb#

I've got a BRU-EDI leg week after next, and neither OWS nor *G status could get my large carry-on onboard without a fee at the lowest-Y fare.

Oddly, both BA and SN were happy to offer complimentary seat selection, just nothing bigger than a laptop without paying either a baggage fee or a Flex-equivalent fare.
Carry-on isn't a *G benefit though.

Checked luggage is.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Carry-on isn't a *G benefit though.

Checked luggage is.
Yeah, I didn't write that clearly.

BA, LX and SN all offer "hand baggage only" fares, under which the checked-baggage allowances for elite members do not apply.

So, providing my carry-on meets their size rules, I can take it in the cabin, but as a *G or OWS I'd have to pay to check it.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:40 pm

Yeah, I didn't write that clearly.

BA, LX and SN all offer "hand baggage only" fares, under which the checked-baggage allowances for elite members do not apply.

So, providing my carry-on meets their size rules, I can take it in the cabin, but as a *G or OWS I'd have to pay to check it.
Oh. That's... is that even allowed?

I'd be writing into *A about that.

Or heck, even write into AC about how another airline is not honouring the *G status they've given you.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are they even allowed to do that?

What's the point of an alliance-wide benefit...
Indeed, it's quite pathetic.

Both LH and LX have introduced fares which exclude the *G baggage allowance. In fact, even LH/LX HONs (who typically spend >30k Euros to earn that status) don't get a free bag.

Since LH is one of the major players, I doubt *A will go after them.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
NZ - they often "block" middle seats for me so I don't have anyone next to me (which is great in Y) and the SDs often will come and introduce themselves to me and say "we've ensured you don't have anyone beside you and if you need anything during the flight please ask for me"

SQ - received an op-up from SIN-SYD which was nice (flight was oversold, guy beside me was also *G)

LH - op-up at gate from FRA-CDG

LX - had someone met me in ZRH to help me with a tight connection

UA - used to get E+, but as noted this has changed. Never received any other service from UA.

CA - blocked middle seat (told me they blocked it at the checkin counter in HKG).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by kwflyer
LH blocks the next seat next to you if you're *G and the plane isn't completely full. Something I wish AC would do as well.
Originally Posted by The Lev
I've received several op ups (including J to F on LX) and had the SD thank me for my patronage (Asian airlines). I think LH does (or at least did) seat blocking for *G.
I travelled LH a few segments this week with my wife and infant. When I asked for an empty seat next to us, I was told they cannot block the seat.
I know in the past they did, but I think they do not any anymore.

Originally Posted by MB24
I fly UA quite a bit, and have received the occasional op-up. I used to always be able to change seats to E+ for free simply by asking the United Club agent if "there's any chance I could get a better seat?" and passing over my boarding pass--they often even gave me bulkhead or exit row. Starting about a year ago, they've always said no, not unless you pay.
As some posters mentioned, UA no longer offers E+ for free to *G.
I asked on a few segments this week and was told no.
The only one where I got E+ was when I had no seat assigned and at the gate they gave me E+, presumably because E- was full already.
The E+ situation with United is a really problem now because over half the flight was reserved for E+ so what ends up happening is E+ is mostly empty while E- is packed.
If E+ was only a few rows and it was an empty flight, you could count on the middle seat next to you being empty in E-. With 60% of the Y cabin E+, the E- section is packed to the gills before they would even think about assigning E+ seats for free.

I will be thinking twice from now on before buying a Y ticket on UA.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AC E75K; SPG Gold; IHG Ambassador; NEXUS
Originally Posted by mendy7511
The only one where I got E+ was when I had no seat assigned and at the gate they gave me E+, presumably because E- was full already.
This has worked for me a few times too--I deliberately didn't choose a seat at booking. Of course you run the risk of a middle seat way in the back if E- ISN'T full.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:23 pm

As some posters mentioned, UA no longer offers E+ for free to *G.
I asked on a few segments this week and was told no.
The E+ situation with United is a really problem now because over half the flight was reserved for E+ so what ends up happening is E+ is mostly empty while E- is packed.
If E+ was only a few rows and it was an empty flight, you could count on the middle seat next to you being empty in E-. With 60% of the Y cabin E+, the E- section is packed to the gills before they would even think about assigning E+ seats for free.

I will be thinking twice from now on before buying a Y ticket on UA.
I loved that. I'd get E+ in a place like SDQ, and I'd have four rows of three seats to myself, while E- was 100% full.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:49 pm

The other way of looking at this is that buying E+ in advance is now about a 50% at getting a middle seat blocked off as well.

Standard-Y seat, a bit of extra legroom, middle seat blocked... in some parts of the world they call this "business class". I don't agree, but for forty bucks I call it a bargain.

I know, I know, anything that isn't .....ing about the airline makes me a filthy apologist traitor. I'm sleeping fine tonight.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:16 pm

Worth noting that some of the Euro carriers (including BA, SN and LX, I'm not sure about LH) have introduced "hand baggage only" fares, to compete more directly with the LCCs, and explicitly state that alliance-elite baggage allowances don't apply.

For example, from the Swiss website:

"Passengers with the following status have a higher baggage limit on all SWISS-operated flights in Classic, Flex and Business. This benefit does not apply with Light fares."
I agree with the surprises of many. *A airlines should not be allowed to have "hand luggage" only fees - nor should "no lounge access," "no priority boarding," etc. fees be allowed.

Being part of an alliance means taking the good (*A passenger business) with the bad (*G passenger benefits). If airlines want to generate revenue or save costs, they can charge for or take away non *G benefits (miles, seat selection, seat blocking, etc.). Sadly, I doubt that *A will do anything about this for member airlines who don't confirm.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by INEC
I agree with the surprises of many. *A airlines should not be allowed to have "hand luggage" only fees - nor should "no lounge access," "no priority boarding," etc. fees be allowed.
AFAIK the fares to which I refer don't restrict lounge access or priority boarding, but I booked the more useful fare for the luggage allowance.

Also worth noting that those hand-baggage fares largely don't earn miles in the host or partner programs, though I could never get a straight answer on whether it would count for an AQS.

I don't have any problem with them selling those fares - I'd rather see kettles fly BA than Ryan - but I agree entirely that they should continue to honour alliance policy.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:51 pm

AFAIK the fares to which I refer don't restrict lounge access or priority boarding, but I booked the more useful fare for the luggage allowance.

Also worth noting that those hand-baggage fares largely don't earn miles in the host or partner programs, though I could never get a straight answer on whether it would count for an AQS.

I don't have any problem with them selling those fares - I'd rather see kettles fly BA than Ryan - but I agree entirely that they should continue to honour alliance policy.
I think generally if a flight earns 1 or more AQM, it earns 1 AQS. Otherwise, it does not.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I would suggest never to EXPECT anything, even seat selection sometimes. I hadn't flown any airline that didn't allow free seat selection in a long time. Obvs some airlines charge for E+ or preferred seats, but LOT wanted $25 even for me to just pick an aisle seat. I did just in case, but if the flight is like 70% on the way out I won't be paying on the way back and I'll just hope to seat myself .

I generally find that you get nothing when it comes to the aircraft and in the air. On the ground the benefits are standard basically which I really like. But I think the biggest benefit is using it as a card to play in certain situations or that it'll work in your favor in certain situations.

I got an op-up, for a flight I thought I might miss the cut-off for on ANA, it was only GMP-HND but I got a nice J seat, presumably because Y was oversold and I had status. UA is fairly stingy, but that's ok, they wanna reserve E+ for their own elites, I get that. But personally I think T-24 they really should let other elites grab E+ for free as well, but that's a bit OT. I'm probably 3/6 on just asking. IAH has flat out refused me whenever I've asked, DEN I asked twice and got E+ twice for free. Got it once out of PTY as well.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
UA is fairly stingy, but that's ok, they wanna reserve E+ for their own elites, I get that. But personally I think T-24 they really should let other elites grab E+ for free as well, but that's a bit OT. I'm probably 3/6 on just asking. IAH has flat out refused me whenever I've asked, DEN I asked twice and got E+ twice for free. Got it once out of PTY as well.
"I'm Gold" as you point at "Star Alliance Gold" on your boarding pass tends to work well in stations where the primary language is not English

Not that I've had much trouble elsewhere.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by drvannostren

UA is fairly stingy, but that's ok, they wanna reserve E+ for their own elites, I get that. But personally I think T-24 they really should let other elites grab E+ for free as well, but that's a bit OT. I'm probably 3/6 on just asking. IAH has flat out refused me whenever I've asked, DEN I asked twice and got E+ twice for free. Got it once out of PTY as well.
I got a free SDC and a free E+ seat out of a UA gate agent this week in LAS going to SFO. Probably the friendliest GA I've ever met, ever. But, other than that I haven't gotten anything out of UA beyond the rules in a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.