Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Extra services on *A partners as AC *G/elite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra services on *A partners as AC *G/elite?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:31 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hermanc
I think priority boarding is part of *G benefits? As for second carry-on, is it full size or personal item?
It may be mandatory *G benefits, but NZ only has one priority boarding, so it's worth slightly more than AC/UA Zone 2.

As for the carry-on, the full page is here, but basically regular customers get one carry-on only, up to 7 kg*. *G, along with NZ elites and J, get two bags, up to 14 kg total, of which one can be 10 kg. And they're fairly strict about enforcing those limits, in my (somewhat limited) experience.

*A "personal item" is also included, but unlike AC, the "personal item" is a small, thin laptop bag, a small purse, a camera bag, not a big briefcase or monster purse or small duffel that AC will let you have as a personal item.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Originally Posted by hermanc
I think priority boarding is part of *G benefits? As for second carry-on, is it full size or personal item?
It may be mandatory *G benefits, but NZ only has one priority boarding, so it's worth slightly more than AC/UA Zone 2.

As for the carry-on, the full page is here, but basically regular customers get one carry-on only, up to 7 kg*. *G, along with NZ elites and J, get two bags, up to 14 kg total, of which one can be 10 kg. And they're fairly strict about enforcing those limits, in my (somewhat limited) experience.

*A "personal item" is also included, but unlike AC, the "personal item" is a small, thin laptop bag, a small purse, a camera bag, not a big briefcase or monster purse or small duffel that AC will let you have as a personal item.
Aren't limits in Australia / NZ enforced at security rather than at boarding / check in?

Food for thought for when I finally get around to going to Australia. My backpack is longer than my rollaboard
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pewpew
Aren't limits in Australia / NZ enforced at security rather than at boarding / check in?

Food for thought for when I finally get around to going to Australia. My backpack is longer than my rollaboard
Depends. I don't recall seeing any enforcement of carry-on restrictions at security in AUS. JQ enforces it at the gate prior to boarding and I would presume it's the same for QF and VA.

In NZ, my bag was weighed once by security, but they didn't hassle me even though it was overweight. But otherwise enforcement was by NZ at the gate or at check-in.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
I had four Thai flights in August, all gave priority boarding and extra baggage automatically. All flights I was given priority seats in bulkhead but I had to ask for that at check-in or at transfer desk.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Flew Avianca in Peru for a few domestic segments.

1. got upgraded with 3 family members on 2 segments when I asked at gate
2. priority boarding group 2
3. on 3 segments, they priority tagged all 4 pcs of luggage. on another, checkin agent only priority tagged those under my name.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
My wife and I haven't been AC*G for a couple of years now but we did receive Op Ups on UA occasionally and once on SQ LHR-SIN, which was really nice. On top of that, as they didn't have diabetic meals for my wife in J on that flight ( because we'd ordered them for our Y seats and they wouldn't serve her Y meals in J) they gave my wife a voucher for $100 US IIRC, which she used to buy herself jewellery from their Duty Free catalogue on the trip home. The food was fine in J ( to say the least)and she had no problems selecting suitable dishes, so it was totally unnecessary. She also got almost OTT apologies from the SD at each meal.

We were recently surprised, (as UA*Gs )to get op ups on 2 AC flights recently, YHZ-YYZ and YYZ -YQR. As unexpected as the SQ Op Ups TBH.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Fizzer

We were recently surprised, (as UA*Gs )to get op ups on 2 AC flights recently, YHZ-YYZ and YYZ -YQR. As unexpected as the SQ Op Ups TBH.
Just curious, did they offer meals to you? or told you were not entitled to one because you were upgraded?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Just curious, did they offer meals to you? or told you were not entitled to one because you were upgraded?
No we received regular J service. I thought of asking for a refund of our prepaid meals in Y but that would have been really cheeky.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I've taken only a handful of revenue flights on LH, but in Y, I've always gotten an exit row to myself, and/or an empty seat beside myself and another passenger, whereas the rest of the plane was pretty full.

Not sure if it's coincidence or *G, though.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I've taken only a handful of revenue flights on LH, but in Y, I've always gotten an exit row to myself, and/or an empty seat beside myself and another passenger, whereas the rest of the plane was pretty full.

Not sure if it's coincidence or *G, though.
LH blocks the next seat next to you if you're *G and the plane isn't completely full. Something I wish AC would do as well.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:08 pm

I've received more attention and privileges, including a few op-ups, as a *G flying with other *A carriers, than I ever did as a SuperElite flying with AC.

However, the airlines in the LH group seem to have started charging for checked baggage, which I thought was guaranteed free (one bag) as a *G, regardless of fare class or ticker.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by INEC
I've received more attention and privileges, including a few op-ups, as a *G flying with other *A carriers, than I ever did as a SuperElite flying with AC.

However, the airlines in the LH group seem to have started charging for checked baggage, which I thought was guaranteed free (one bag) as a *G, regardless of fare class or ticker.
*G gets you one bag more than your ticketed allowance. So at least one.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
*G gets you one bag more than your ticketed allowance. So at least one.
Worth noting that some of the Euro carriers (including BA, SN and LX, I'm not sure about LH) have introduced "hand baggage only" fares, to compete more directly with the LCCs, and explicitly state that alliance-elite baggage allowances don't apply.

For example, from the Swiss website:

"Passengers with the following status have a higher baggage limit on all SWISS-operated flights in Classic, Flex and Business. This benefit does not apply with Light fares."
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Worth noting that some of the Euro carriers (including BA, SN and LX, I'm not sure about LH) have introduced "hand baggage only" fares, to compete more directly with the LCCs, and explicitly state that alliance-elite baggage allowances don't apply.

For example, from the Swiss website:

"Passengers with the following status have a higher baggage limit on all SWISS-operated flights in Classic, Flex and Business. This benefit does not apply with Light fares."
Are they even allowed to do that?

What's the point of an alliance-wide benefit...
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are they even allowed to do that?

What's the point of an alliance-wide benefit...
It's been fascinating watching the Euro carriers try to adjust to life in RyanWorld, for example, this new mini-site BA have launched to do a cost comparison against Ryanair and Easyjet.

http://www.britishairways.com.br/tra.../public/en_gb#

I've got a BRU-EDI leg week after next, and neither OWS nor *G status could get my large carry-on onboard without a fee at the lowest-Y fare.

Oddly, both BA and SN were happy to offer complimentary seat selection, just nothing bigger than a laptop without paying either a baggage fee or a Flex-equivalent fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.