Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SD upgrades PAX after door close

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Are you able to share if SD's are allowed to move an employee to the J cabin?
As far as I know, only the gate agents decide who gets a seat in the J cabin based of a variety of criteria.

The flight crew can instruct cabin crew to move (x) number of people from a zone to the front for weight and balance purposes, status does not come into play for this, it is just move a body from one place to another.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by jaysona
The perspective (I believe) taken by AC management is that such gestures lead to the perception (we all know it to be fact though) of inconsistent service.

Then there will be those who feel they are high value travelers (but really aren't) that will start whining, complaining and writing a litany of useless letters to AC that someone has to be paid to deal with.

Instead of exercising "good judgement" how about exercising consistently good customer services - this is where *some* AC staff are sorely lacking.
You've correctly descibed an infinite feedback loop which is partly responsible for the inconsistent service we love to hate.

My point was that fear, among employees, prevents them from delivering good service from time to time. Empowering employees to use judgement in delivering customer service does not preclude that service being good also. AC needn't look further than their nearest domestic competitor for a model.

In the meantime, we might consider that complaining about other customers being treated inappropriately well doesn't actually motivate anyone to treat any of us better.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
with forums / facebook / twitter / instagram / whatever is next, becoming more and more relevant these days, I am surprised that any SD would allow this knowing the chance of now getting caught (vs in the 90's).
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
In the meantime, we might consider that complaining about other customers being treated inappropriately well doesn't actually motivate anyone to treat any of us better.
The problem is I've seen two people in the same row make the same request, and one of them getting it fulfilled while the other didn't.

That inevitably leads to complaints.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by aionesu
Why do you feel that having a 16 month lap infant temporarily taking up an empty J seat should be something that the airline says "no" to?

Note that on J international flights, infants pay 10% of the fare -- my 16 month old paid more than the SEs that got upgraded, for the right to sit on my lap.
Because I paid full price for my fare, which would be multiples of yours, and have better things to do than have a crying baby in my cabin that did not pay for the right to disturb others.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aionesu
I know this thread is mostly about employees sitting up front, but I've seen the opposite as well... we were on a YUL->CDG flight in paid J (well, P) and there were about 5-6 empty seats (on the HD, mind you). We asked the SD if our lap infant could, during the night, sleep on one of the empty pods instead of on our laps. The SD told us "I'll try to see if I can -- there are a few SEs that I have to bring up from the back". Ultimately, only 4 SEs came from Y, which left us the seat for our daughter... but it was still a bit of a shock to me to see the SD voluntarily and quite openly op-up all of the Y SEs...
You asked for and received a free upgrade... yet you found it shocking that other people might get upgrades too? Especially when they're SE?

Not sure how exactly you think you are special and nobody else is. Unless you were following the SD around you don't know if the SEs had asked previously or if the concierge had asked on their behalf. Regardless, they are SE and if a company employee wants to do something special for them, hats off to the employee.

I'm more shocked that you're shocked that you don't get an immediate free J seat for an infant but think that SEs should be entitled to nothing.

If I was an SE sitting cramped in the back and people up front were getting extra free seats for their babies my own sense of entitlement would slam into hyperdrive. If the bonus seat for your infant was so important you could have bought it. Similarly the SE could have bought their J seat. After that it's up to the company to sort out who (if anyone) who didn't pay for it gets a bonus product.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I think I'm going nuts... I thought I posted in this thread in the last 24 hours and thought there were other posts but they seem to be gone... and I don't recall any of the posts to be out of line...? Must be my advanced age!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I think I'm going nuts... I thought I posted in this thread in the last 24 hours and thought there were other posts but they seem to be gone... and I don't recall any of the posts to be out of line...? Must be my advanced age!
Hand of the paperboy?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Nothing cheapens the J cabin like filling it with AC staff, especially when they're clearly not supposed to be there (i.e. upgraded after take-off).

I think that's what's getting people so unhappy in this thread. The eUp program was gutted and FFs were told we were cheapening the J cabin, now it seems to have lots more AC staff, and sometimes they're getting up there as a favour from the SD rather than as a contractual entitlement. That sends a very bad message to the paying customers.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Nothing cheapens the J cabin like filling it with AC staff, especially when they're clearly not supposed to be there (i.e. upgraded after take-off).

I think that's what's getting people so unhappy in this thread. The eUp program was gutted and FFs were told we were cheapening the J cabin, now it seems to have lots more AC staff, and sometimes they're getting up there as a favour from the SD rather than as a contractual entitlement. That sends a very bad message to the paying customers.
+100000000

Although, truth be told, a group of 4 FAs walked right passed me and into Y when I was in a mostly empty A330 mini-J cabin last week. Their bags, on the other hand, stayed in the J bins
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence

Indeed even worse is AC apologists/OPMers who switch with off duty FA's (from J to Y) without telling the GA, thus ensuring that extra J seat doesn't go to other loyal revenue travellers.

The cheapening argument from AC was just poor excuse of AC using their limited undergraduate knowledge to get through their cognitive dissonance.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 30, 2015 at 4:16 am
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Bingo.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kwflyer
Indeed even worse is AC apologists/OPMers who switch with off duty FA's (from J to Y) without telling the GA, thus ensuring that extra J seat doesn't go to other loyal revenue travellers.
Huh... this actually happens?!!!! I must have missed part of this thread.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Huh... this actually happens?!!!! I must have missed part of this thread.
I'm not sure what this even means....?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorian
I'm not sure what this even means....?
Right - the description of such a scenario is already odd in the first place... need more details from kwflyer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.