Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SD upgrades PAX after door close

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
SD upgrades PAX after door close

Maybe a thread exists for this, could not find.

Just got off 1133. Prior to door close the male PAX in 4C chatted with the SD. About 20 min after takeoff a female PAX self-upgraded to 4A and was served as if she'd always been seated there.

I figured must be AC staff, but I figure against policy.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
No real name tag on SD.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Clearly it was a weight and balance issue.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Ben, if you're lurking...Dorian - I'd PM Ben about it to be frank. I'm sure it's against policy. The SD should be swatted on the head for this.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Clearly it was a weight and balance issue.
Well, there was quite the shift in that case!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dorian
Maybe a thread exists for this, could not find.

Just got off 1133. Prior to door close the male PAX in 4C chatted with the SD. About 20 min after takeoff a female PAX self-upgraded to 4A and was served as if she'd always been seated there.

I figured must be AC staff, but I figure against policy.
I wonder how those on the ug waitlist would've felt.

Oh wait, maybe the self-upgrading pax was tops on the upgrade waitlist? I'm sure people will offer 1,001 devil's advocate nonsense here!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, there was quite the shift in that case!
Maybe the J cabin was so cheapened that they had to upgrade the female pax to make it even or slightly classy.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Maybe the J cabin was so cheapened that they had to upgrade the female pax to make it even or slightly classy.
What if the female pax wasn't wearing shoes and had a skirt that was too short?

(ok, i'll stop now )
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:29 pm

Maybe the guy whipped out his credit card and paid the up-charge?

The problem with 'complaining' to AC is that basically hearsay testimony from members of the public is useless in the discipline process. If its observed by a member of AC management, sure. Or a rank-and-file worker willing to put their name on a complaint. But short of filing the complaint, and maybe having a plains-clothes AC Corporate Security person audit the SD on future flights for a transgression that might not occur again, there's little that can be done.

I used to manage people in a unionized environment; these sorts of things, unless they're systemic and provable with hard evidence, are very hard to discipline for.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz

The problem with 'complaining' to AC is that basically hearsay testimony from members of the public is useless in the discipline process. If its observed by a member of AC management, sure. Or a rank-and-file worker willing to put their name on a complaint. But short of filing the complaint, and maybe having a plains-clothes AC Corporate Security person audit the SD on future flights for a transgression that might not occur again, there's little that can be done.

I used to manage people in a unionized environment; these sorts of things, unless they're systemic and provable with hard evidence, are very hard to discipline for.
Of course.

But the thing is, we have been given a hard line from AC about the "cheapening" of the J cabin (which I don't necessarily like, but I get it) and to see or hear of these things is a bit irking because of the "perception" of the seemingly free upgrade...

I just hope that there is a legit reason for this perceived freebie. You know, like the thread about the weight and balance upgrade - that was a legit reason and didn't turn out to be a freebie just coz.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am so glad you brought this topic up....

Was on a flight last week where I experienced this too... Doors closed and then the SD brought two passengers from Y to J... One was clearly a FA, because she was chatting with the crew the whole time in the gallery. The others must have been the husband. I didn't think anything of it, other than a curiosity as to why 2 Y passengers were brought from Y to J after the door were closed.ot was a very empty flight in all classes.

What do you do in that situation? Report it and it's a "she said he said" situation. Who do you send the note for?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
This is the perfect explanation of the complaint system. I was speaking to an AC airport agent who mainly works at the gate during boarding and I learned many things I didn't know. One of them is that complaints from passengers are plentiful but never go anywhere; most of the time the employee doesn't even hear about the complaint. But if an AC staff member complains about another one, it's almost always escalated and taken much more seriously.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Well, I do have a photo of her occupying the seat....
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

I wonder how those on the ug waitlist would've felt.

Oh wait, maybe the self-upgrading pax was tops on the upgrade waitlist? I'm sure people will offer 1,001 devil's advocate nonsense here!
I believe there were 5 or 6 empty seats in J.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe there were 5 or 6 empty seats in J.
I was being sarcastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.