Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SD upgrades PAX after door close

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
This happened a few days ago on YYZ-DFW... Once we reached cruising altitude, the SD brought two passengers up from the back. Wasn't clear why; maybe a service issue, maybe just a favor. Perhaps there is greater opportunity for SD's to do this now if there are more open J seats (less e-upgrades) and less company scrutiny (unlike gate agents where any manipulation of the upgrade process is easier to spot).
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by zorn
These threads only make sense when someone who should have been seated in J (upgrade waitlist, standby J due to flight change, etc.) is not seated in J.

Otherwise it's a case of a busybody taking too much notice of where other people are seated.
I think you're being a little harsh. This thread makes perfect sense ever since AC made changes to their Altitude program and upgrade specifically aimed at making sure the J cabin is filled with pax paying to be there.

Unless the J passenger in question simply took a vacant seat in Y for takeoff, this is a pretty clear example of something AC should be aware of.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I know this thread is mostly about employees sitting up front, but I've seen the opposite as well... we were on a YUL->CDG flight in paid J (well, P) and there were about 5-6 empty seats (on the HD, mind you). We asked the SD if our lap infant could, during the night, sleep on one of the empty pods instead of on our laps. The SD told us "I'll try to see if I can -- there are a few SEs that I have to bring up from the back". Ultimately, only 4 SEs came from Y, which left us the seat for our daughter... but it was still a bit of a shock to me to see the SD voluntarily and quite openly op-up all of the Y SEs...

Now I'm willing to believe that maybe at the door, it looked like the cabin was full, and a large family missed the flight, so the upgrades were done in the air (with the credits being written down by hand and then uploaded), but whenever that's happened it was while verifying with the gate agent and the door open/closing... not 15 minutes after takeoff in mid-air.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Well, Thursday morning on YVR to YEG, I have just started watching my movie in 13A when the gate agent came in calling my first name and telling me they have moved me to 3D (last open spot) and handed me my new BP. That was a nice surprise! And I am not wearing skirt or high heals ;-)
So thanks AC for warm breakfast, really enjoyed it!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Suncana
Well, Thursday morning on YVR to YEG, I have just started watching my movie in 13A when the gate agent came in calling my first name and telling me they have moved me to 3D (last open spot) and handed me my new BP. That was a nice surprise! And I am not wearing skirt or high heals ;-)
So thanks AC for warm breakfast, really enjoyed it!
What plane?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:52 am

What does SD stand for? It's not in the FT glossary.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:26 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by willow16
What does SD stand for? It's not in the FT glossary.
service director aka 'in-charge'
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by SYM
service director aka 'in-charge'
Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Dorian
What plane?
E90, it was AC232 flight
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Suncana
E90, it was AC232 flight
13A to J for a W&B issue seems suspect to me.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by aionesu
I know this thread is mostly about employees sitting up front, but I've seen the opposite as well... we were on a YUL->CDG flight in paid J (well, P) and there were about 5-6 empty seats (on the HD, mind you). We asked the SD if our lap infant could, during the night, sleep on one of the empty pods instead of on our laps. The SD told us "I'll try to see if I can -- there are a few SEs that I have to bring up from the back". Ultimately, only 4 SEs came from Y, which left us the seat for our daughter... but it was still a bit of a shock to me to see the SD voluntarily and quite openly op-up all of the Y SEs...

Now I'm willing to believe that maybe at the door, it looked like the cabin was full, and a large family missed the flight, so the upgrades were done in the air (with the credits being written down by hand and then uploaded), but whenever that's happened it was while verifying with the gate agent and the door open/closing... not 15 minutes after takeoff in mid-air.
That is weird. The SD should have said no to you and all the SEs. A straightforward case of needed disciplinary action.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
13A to J for a W&B issue seems suspect to me.
It's usually from Zone D > Zone A, but I've on occasion been asked to relocate somebody from Zone B (Row 13) > Zone A (J/C).
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by Absolute
I was about to ask for that link as well, as I don't recall seeing anything about AC's loss of business revenue.
The consensus here seems to be that there will be less J seats. Not the kind of thing you do when you are selling many of them.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
That is weird. The SD should have said no to you and all the SEs. A straightforward case of needed disciplinary action.
Why do you feel that having a 16 month lap infant temporarily taking up an empty J seat should be something that the airline says "no" to?

Note that on J international flights, infants pay 10% of the fare -- my 16 month old paid more than the SEs that got upgraded, for the right to sit on my lap.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Exactly my point.

Exercising judgement to deliver good customer service, or to initiate service recovery, should never result in diciplinary action. That it does is an endemic problem within AC's culture. A problem that, more often than not, lowers the overall service standard we'd like to have.
The perspective (I believe) taken by AC management is that such gestures lead to the perception (we all know it to be fact though) of inconsistent service.

Then there will be those who feel they are high value travelers (but really aren't) that will start whining, complaining and writing a litany of useless letters to AC that someone has to be paid to deal with.

Instead of exercising "good judgement" how about exercising consistently good customer services - this is where *some* AC staff are sorely lacking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.