Wiki Posts
Search

Craziness in YYG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SE100k
Craziness in YYG

Hi! This is my first post with FT, but I've been lurking for a while. And of course, I'm starting out by complaining
This am at YYG while waiting in the priority line (J class, SE100k) the agent was helping a couple in coach with 10+ Bags when I walked up behind another SE who was already waiting.
The agent proceeded to take almost half an hour to figure out the couple's luggage and tickets. All the other agents continued to check in the folks in the regular line and ignore the two SE's in the priority line, despite our attempts to make eye contact and wave.
The other SE and I started chatting and were trying to be good natured about it, but I'm standing there in my high heels watching everyone in the coach line, plus at least a dozen folks who arrived well after me, pass me to get checked in first.
When I was finally checked in, the agent just said they were busy helping others and didn't seem concerned.
The whole thing was complete chaos. And, after all that, they announce there is no tea or coffee on board the flight so we should make sure to purchase some... So I'm not sure which karma gods I angered this am!
Usually the AC staff are extra wonderful at YYG, but I do wish they were alert to the few of us who fly far too much are standing in the priority line. Standing around for almost 30 minutes on my feet while I'm spending the kind of money I do each month on AC doesn't exactly scream, "We value your business."
/rant now complete!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
This stuff happens at smaller stations. I had the exact same experience at YLW earlier this year.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
YYG has a priority/se line?

Also "all the other agents". How many were on at YYG. I'm used to be there being perhaps 2 at best at stations like YSJ, YYG is a similar no?.

Thing is, if the agent spent 30 minutes dealing with that somebody the number 1 issue isn't that you weren't dealt with quicker/next but that it took 30 minutes to process that case in the first place.

That will have held everyone up. I've had times at YYT before where there are too many people bag dropping and not enough staff so I've been kept in line waiting whilst they (correctly) try and clear the huge backlog in the normal line.

YYT I wouldn't even call a small station by any means. But when you get down to small stations with between 1 and 3 staff, everyone on the same flight you have to accept this might happen, even if it's not supposed to.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
"All the other agents"? Usually there are no more than two, one at the Priority line and one at the regular line (plus sometimes a third at the line to purchase tickets).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Why did you wait. If you are in the zone 1 line, just walk up to the first agent that becomes available(basically cut in line). Don't wait to be called.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Why did you wait. If you are in the zone 1 line, just walk up to the first agent that becomes available(basically cut in line). Don't wait to be called.
Because we're Canadian.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:24 am

I had the same experience while checking in (J) at DXB for a flight to PEK aboard CA.

Priority line was trying to sort out the ticket of the couple ahead of us and all the while the other 2 positions checked in Y class.

When it was all said and done 40-50 people in the Y class line checked in ahead of us and we where the last in line and to go through security.

Priority lines can be a god send but sometimes are less useful then the regular lines.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AC*E50K
YYT is the worst for this. Everytime I line up in the P Lane (as a lowly E50) there is always a customer with some problem being sorted out, or the family with 10 kids getting checked-in. In my opinion, the agent working this desk should be available only for priority check-in, even if the regular line is lined up down the street. After all, that is the service they are offering. I'm sure the agent likes to help out the other agents, but a dedicated desk is just that.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE
Yes, definitely an issue at smaller stations, particularly during the summer. YHZ is more of a mid-size station, but a few weeks back, there were non-status customers had lined up ahead of us in the priority lane, and the agent proceeded to check them in, despite not being eligible for priority check-in. They spent about 5 minutes arguing with the agent over paying bag fees, so didn't have status and weren't traveling J.

It's unfortunate when the agents proceed to help customers like that who have lined up in the wrong line, but keep the SE/J passengers waiting. Seems to be more of an issue at small and mid-sized airports (often the larger stations seem to have agents directing customers before they line up).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: *G
It can happen anywhere when there is no one in the SE line, the agent calls the next person from the Elite or regular line, and bingo, there are suddenly 10 people, kids, bags, strollers at the SE desk. Happened to me recently at domestic/intl SE check-in at YYZ. Agent realized, tried to phone for help (no response) and eventually told the large group to stand aside while she dealt with the SE's in line.

A few years ago, I stood unattended in the SE line while all other priority pax were handled -just decided to stand and wait and see if anyone noticed or cared. They did not (also at YYZ).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYT82
This stuff happens at smaller stations. I had the exact same experience at YLW earlier this year.
No, this stuff happens at every station. I've experienced it at YYZ, YVR, SFO, and probably every other airport I've checked in at more than once.

Originally Posted by moorw003
That will have held everyone up. I've had times at YYT before where there are too many people bag dropping and not enough staff so I've been kept in line waiting whilst they (correctly) try and clear the huge backlog in the normal line.
I disagree that is "correct". If there is someone in the SE line, the next agent needs to call that person. If the SE line is empty, and there is someone in the priority line, the next agent needs to call that person. Only then should they call someone from the regular line.

I actually have a solution that would greatly mitigate this problem. Basically, the EXITS of all the lines need to be right beside each other. The problem in most stations seems to be that you have the SE line exiting at one end, and the priority line exiting 20 feet down. Or Priority and regular exiting 20 feet apart.

Make them all exit in the middle (this is not difficult - the YYZ transborder check-in area does this, although they have the stupid SE rope), and then every agent and passenger can easily see that there's someone in the "more priority" line.

"Next Super Elite please" or "Next priority please", and turn away someone who tries jump the queue.

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I'd be tempted to try this, but the problem is where the lines exit. If the agent right in front of the regular line opens up, it's a 5 foot walk for the person in the regular line, and a 30 foot walk for me from priority (at SFO - similar distances at other stations). If they organized the lines the way I described above, it would be very easy, because you'd both get there at the same time, and you could just say "I'm Super Elite", and then it's very obvious (to the agent) who has priority.

Originally Posted by YYTFog
YYT is the worst for this. Everytime I line up in the P Lane (as a lowly E50) there is always a customer with some problem being sorted out, or the family with 10 kids getting checked-in. In my opinion, the agent working this desk should be available only for priority check-in, even if the regular line is lined up down the street. After all, that is the service they are offering. I'm sure the agent likes to help out the other agents, but a dedicated desk is just that.
I've only checked in at YYT once, and while there was a "problem" (people from the regular line were served before me, once I was in the priority line), it wasn't that bad.

In my opinion, YVR transborder is the worst. It's a big station, with lots of staff, and there's even an SE line. I stood there for 20 minutes, while the priority and regular line both emptied out. I wrote in about that, and they said they'd let the station manager know, but I have my doubts.

My favourite is YVR domestic, because of the arrogance of the check-in agent who called me from the SE line. "Sir, please stand aside so I can help these priority passengers." Like... excuse me?

Check-in lines are the absolute worst unless the staff know you. Which for me, means SFO. I think everyone in a blue/grey tie/scarf knows my face, so if they see me in line, they call me over by name, and start working on my boarding passes.

Ugh. I need to stop ranting and get back to work
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by moorw003
YYG has a priority/se line?
Even YGK has a priority line. (and YGK typically handles a max. of 126 pax per day).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:33 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Because we're Canadian.
And not everyone suffers from DYKWIA syndrome.

But back in the day I used to fly AC regularly (up until 2006), the agents, regardless of which line they were serving, always motionned to the J line if the J agents were busy. Find it strange that this is no longer the case.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies to my whining
To be fair, YYG has been wonderful to fly out of in my experience. The staff there have usually been friendly, attentive and accommodating.
For those asking, there were 4 agents, 1 for P and other 3 for regular.
I agree - I could have been more aggressive and cut in front, but honestly that's not my style. That said - I got my knickers in a knot this am, but I should have remembered it's not like the agents were sitting around chit-chatting - they were working their butts off.
In retrospect, I should have just had an extra coffee on the way to the airport and chilled out a bit. Life's too short.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I actually have a solution that would greatly mitigate this problem. Basically, the EXITS of all the lines need to be right beside each other. The problem in most stations seems to be that you have the SE line exiting at one end, and the priority line exiting 20 feet down. Or Priority and regular exiting 20 feet apart.

Make them all exit in the middle (this is not difficult - the YYZ transborder check-in area does this, although they have the stupid SE rope), and then every agent and passenger can easily see that there's someone in the "more priority" line.

"Next Super Elite please" or "Next priority please", and turn away someone who tries jump the queue.
Smart!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.