Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question - Aeroplan Business Ticket booked Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question - Aeroplan Business Ticket booked Economy

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
Waitlists are cleared before any upgrades are made.
My experience was the opposite. Y seat on J Aeroplan award on AC transborder flight. Numerous upgrades cleared, but I remained in Y seat. An AC agent explained to me that I was at the very bottom of the list, after all upgrades, etc.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by echino
My experience was the opposite. Y seat on J Aeroplan award on AC transborder flight. Numerous upgrades cleared, but I remained in Y seat. An AC agent explained to me that I was at the very bottom of the list, after all upgrades, etc.
Because you have no status.

It's not that they clear "after", it's just that they're at the bottom of the fare class list.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:36 pm

nevermind.... too much time wasted on this topic, and nobody seems to be happy with any of the answers as it seems to be all over the map... Bottom line: seek confirmation whenever possible. Otherwise, it might just turn out to be a bit of a lotto, even though 'officially' AP J should get a person on the waitlist, not an upgrade list.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE
A few points:

1) A J ticket with segments only confirmed in Y, means you automatically go onto the waitlist for J seating. Fare rules require that an AP J ticket have at least one confirmed J segment prior to issuance.

2) Waitlists are cleared before any upgrades are made. Hence, the upgrade priority schema as quoted by "Ben" doesn't matter. Upgrades are only for passengers who bought Y tickets and want to travel in a class of service they strictly didn't pay for. Waitlists are for people who paid J fare (either cash or points) and were not able to be confirmed in J at the time of booking.
The terms of a mixed cabin Aeroplan reward are clear that you can "request an upgrade" at the airport for J seat. Everything else on this forum including info from AC reps and experience from other passengers says that they go on the upgrade list. OP's experience that their upgrade didn't clear when plenty of other upgrade requests cleared is a pretty good example of how they are handled on the upgrade list, differently than if someone bought a J ticket and was waitlisted for a seat.

Yes, the person has paid the points for J, but AC sets the rules and AC treats it as an upgrade, so there's a decent chance it may not clear.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
He most certainly did not say what you are paraphrasing. Do you not understand the difference between a waitlist and an upgrade list?

Aeroplan J, which puts a person on the waitlist, trumps status upgraders on AC, unless they pay for it in the form of a LMU or have a confirmed J seating prior to flight time. AP J tickets are most certainly not junior to non-confirmed upgrade candidates.
At one point (many years ago), this was correct. My understanding is that this was changed several years ago, and the current system where these are handled via the upgrade list has been in effect for a few years. What makes you think AP tickets are confirmed ahead of upgrade requests?
Old May 20, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
The terms of a mixed cabin Aeroplan reward are clear that you can "request an upgrade" at the airport for J seat. Everything else on this forum including info from AC reps and experience from other passengers says that they go on the upgrade list. OP's experience that their upgrade didn't clear when plenty of other upgrade requests cleared is a pretty good example of how they are handled on the upgrade list, differently than if someone bought a J ticket and was waitlisted for a seat.
We've had various posters who have indicated that it works through the behaviour I mention. And only one poster, thus far, who has indicated something different, in actual experience.

So its not entirely clear what the 'rules' are, but unless something has changed very recently, AP J goes onto a waitlist, not an upgrade list. And is not considered an 'upgrade'.

I wouldn't recommend anyone make a mixed booking unless they have no hurt feelings if they ultimately are forced to sit in Y as confirmed.

As J cabins continue to shrink to reflect revenue ticket demand, the prognosis for successful waitlisting and/or upgrading is likely to worsen.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:04 pm

We've had various posters who have indicated that it works through the behaviour I mention. And only one poster, thus far, who has indicated something different, in actual experience.

So its not entirely clear what the 'rules' are, but unless something has changed very recently, AP J goes onto a waitlist, not an upgrade list. And is not considered an 'upgrade'.

I wouldn't recommend anyone make a mixed booking unless they have no hurt feelings if they ultimately are forced to sit in Y as confirmed.

As J cabins continue to shrink to reflect revenue ticket demand, the prognosis for successful waitlisting and/or upgrading is likely to worsen.
The "upgrade list" is a "waitlist", so I'm not sure what you mean.

Also, when you book a mixed cabin itinerary, this is the message you get (current as of this morning, emphasis mine):

MIXED CABINS ON AIR CANADA

This itinerary includes Air Canada flights in both business and economy class. Request an upgrade at the airport on a standby basis. Please note standby is not guaranteed.
I'll also note that standby is a separate list that is processed AFTER upgrades.

So a no-status nominee on a low Flex fare will get an upgrade ahead of a SE on a J fare standing by from a later flight. But that SE will be offered the seat that that upgrader has vacated. And while you can say that you paid for J with Aeroplan, you've paid Aeroplan, but not Air Canada. In my example, you've paid AC for J. I have experienced this several times. The idea that you've paid for J, therefore you're at the top, simply isn't true.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:11 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
My previous thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...y-segment.html

The 'policy' is not clear to me at all regarding these situations.
Apologies, I thought I was pretty clear. For AC flights on an Aeroplan-issued award you will be allowed into the MLL even if you have a connecting flight in Y. For Star Alliance flights or for AC flights booked via a Star Alliance member, since we have no way of looking up your reservation, a valid Star Gold card is required for lounge entry.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:12 pm
Flying Blue Director

I was flat out denied in YYZ earlier this year. I was on an aeroplan J award coming from TPE-YYZ on EVA connecting to a Y flight to YOW. I was told it didn't matter that I was on a J redemption, my flight was Y and that was all there was to it. I started a thread, can't find it at the moment and although Ben replied to the thread I did not feel it was clarified at all.
You should have been allowed in YYZ assuming it was an Aeroplan award (ie not a *A award). If agent refused to look up your AC PNR to check for J redemption, I apologise but this was a mistake.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:17 pm
Flying Blue Director

It's the same list. Passengers who have paid [revenue] J but seated in Y are at the top of the waitlist for an upgrade, as technically an upgrade is any time you are moved from a lower cabin to a higher one and as far as the system is concerned you are seated in a lower cabin.

Aeroplan tickets are not considered 'revenue J' and as a result are prioritised below those that have paid revenue fares, distinguished by status. As canadiancow mentions (referencing what I said when I first posted the list) an Aeroplan Y ticket books into X which is at the bottom of the fare hierarchy, so as a result will be processed after revenue tickets (i.e. Flex/Latitude/Premium Economy) but ahead of those holding lower status. I hope that clears things up.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to this, the policy was changed in 2006: Not sure I would call that "very recently."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6725292-post1.html

Additionally, as mentioned earlier Ben did indeed at one point confirm that X is near the bottom, below revenue fare classes, within each status category:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23155613-post102.html
Old May 20, 2015, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
According to this, the policy was changed in 2006: Not sure I would call that "very recently."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6725292-post1.html
I'm getting a kick out of that thread.

What the heck are D and W?

It's interesting seeing the same arguments of who should have priority 9 years ago as we've had here recently.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I remember it not being clearly clarified. I've been both allowed in and denied in that situation. I was denied at a MLL and allowed in a United Club.
I had the exact opposite, allowed in MLL and denied in United Club (while allowed in UC in the same situation just days ago).
Old May 21, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Aeroplan tickets are not considered 'revenue J' and as a result are prioritised below those that have paid revenue fares, distinguished by status. As canadiancow mentions (referencing what I said when I first posted the list) an Aeroplan Y ticket books into X which is at the bottom of the fare hierarchy, so as a result will be processed after revenue tickets (i.e. Flex/Latitude/Premium Economy) but ahead of those holding lower status. I hope that clears things up.
So in a nutshell, someone in this situation is very far down the pecking order, behind any pax who has a revenue ticket in any fare class. They will only be ahead of other Aeroplan ticketholders with lower status, and op ups.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:21 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by jcoop
So in a nutshell, someone in this situation is very far down the pecking order, behind any pax who has a revenue ticket in any fare class. They will only be ahead of other Aeroplan ticketholders with lower status, and op ups.
No, as far as I understand it they will be behind revenue fare tickets held by those with the same status, but ahead of revenue tickets held by those of lesser status. i.e. SE in X will be ahead of E in H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.