Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada expanding its service to Copenhagen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada expanding its service to Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX MPC Gold, NH Diamond, TK Gold
CPH is an excellent choice for Europe Connection compare to other so-called "major hubs" like LHR or FRA. Flew several times between CPH and YYZ, the airport shopping area like Yorkdale or Sherway Gardens in Toronto. However the price is bit high (25% VAT!!??) Good to hear AC had add one more flight to CPH. Nevertheless, the SAS ground crew handling AC flight and the SAS lounge are kinda disappointed in my personal experience.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Me too, I'm rather surprised actually!

I can't speak to that directly, but I would invite you to listen to our analyst calls/webcasts when we announce our quarterly results. You can find the link here: https://www.aircanada.com/en/about/investor/
Fair enough. I will do that, thx.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by ensco
Canada trade with Sweden is more than 2x that of Denmark.
What are the trade numbers for the Öresund area vs. the Stockholm area?
Canadian companies working with tech companies in the Lund-Malmö area want CPH flights, not ARN flights. For companies in the Gothenburg area, CPH flights work just as well as ARN flights.
Why would AC offer both ARN and CPH flights when CPH flights serve major Swedish areas better than ARN flights would?
Old May 6, 2015, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....Our schedule, network, natural geographic position (e.g. flying from a US city to Asia usually requires one to fly over YYZ or YVR anyway, and if you're making a connection YYZ/YVR are much more pleasant airports through which to connect than JFK or ORD or SFO), etc., all lends credence to our growth plans - which you can see is targeting international (vs regional) expansion and more sixth freedom traffic. Over the past five or six years, our new routes have seen roughly a 90% success (vs 50% about a decade ago), and many (such as CPH) are seeing added capacity YoY....

This is actually a very interesting post from Ben. Obviously TLV is not Asia, but I noticed an increase of pax from the U.S. on those flights back in late 2012. I had posted once in another thread that I had asked some of them why they were flying AC via YYZ to TLV. (These particular pax conversations were on more than one flight and they indicated they had originated in LAX or SFO and were traveling to TLV for tech business/conferences)

The answers why AC via YYZ were:
1. They liked the service
2. More than one indicated they refuse to go through any New York area airports
3. If they were UA FFs, AC had an advantage over LY
4. LY was not always available on some of their travel dates.
5. On the return to Canada (and just as with my AC 4 flights for eg.), U.S. Customs cards are handed out onboard which also makes the connection process easier.

Yes, I've already pointed out that these onboard conversations were a small sample size, but it still provided me with some interesting insight.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Obviously TLV is not Asia
Are you sure?
Old May 6, 2015, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Are you sure?
Funny guy.

Ben had mentioned Asia in his post. As I've flown to TLV on 23 return trips on more than one carrier, I was just posting my observations.

I've also had some interesting conversations recently with SEA-based pax who were on my flights to NRT, and they certainly have direct options available.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
What are the trade numbers for the Öresund area vs. the Stockholm area?
Canadian companies working with tech companies in the Lund-Malmö area want CPH flights, not ARN flights. For companies in the Gothenburg area, CPH flights work just as well as ARN flights.
Why would AC offer both ARN and CPH flights when CPH flights serve major Swedish areas better than ARN flights would?
No idea but this is a fair point.

However, there are far more tech companies in and around Stockholm than there are in Copenhagen or Malmö.

Reality is, they are not doing it, so I will drop it. It just seems to me that AC is doing a "me too" routing to CPH that isn't compelling on an O&D or connecting hub basis (CPH is a better hub but not much better) ... and are missing an interesting chance to pick up a lot of ARN traffic out of the U.S., on the model Ben L laid out above
Old May 6, 2015, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ensco
No idea but this is a fair point.

However, there are far more tech companies in and around Stockholm than there are in Copenhagen or Malmö.

Reality is, they are not doing it, so I will drop it. It just seems to me that AC is doing a "me too" routing to CPH that isn't compelling on an O&D or connecting hub basis (CPH is a better hub but not much better) ... and are missing an interesting chance to pick up a lot of ARN traffic out of the U.S., on the model Ben L laid out above
"Fly North American" Star Alliance passengers in the US and Canada already have the UA EWR-ARN flight, so an AC flight to ARN would have to compete against that.
There's probably a market for ARN flights in the summer (maybe more for Swedes going to Canada than vice versa), but probably not daily. For winter flights, it makes more sense to increase the CPH frequency than having a few flights to CPH and a few flights to ARN.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:02 am
Flying Blue Director

While I can't speak to CPH vs ARN in particular, I will say that we have a Network Planning team dedicated to doing just this (in fact, this is what ac-YUL does) - evaluating new routes, capacity optimisation, etc. I can tell you that if we saw an opportunity in ARN we would pursue it.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:17 am

"Fly North American" Star Alliance passengers in the US and Canada already have the UA EWR-ARN flight, so an AC flight to ARN would have to compete against that.

There's probably a market for ARN flights in the summer (maybe more for Swedes going to Canada than vice versa), but probably not daily. For winter flights, it makes more sense to increase the CPH frequency than having a few flights to CPH and a few flights to ARN.
Agree with your second point.

Re the EWR-ARN UA flight, that is a 9 hour flight on a 757, I have done it in coach twice, I'd sooner saw my arm off with a penknife than do that one again. The better option is an SK A340 that goes out of ORD 3-4 times a week.

While I can't speak to CPH vs ARN in particular, I will say that we have a Network Planning team dedicated to doing just this (in fact, this is what ac-YUL does) - evaluating new routes, capacity optimisation, etc. I can tell you that if we saw an opportunity in ARN we would pursue it.
Going into SAS was a bad decision for the Swedes 65 years ago, and they are still paying for it. There are other weird anomalies in Europe that are also a function of policy decisions made decades ago (ie the lack of long-haul service to Hamburg)

I would enjoy getting more visibility on network planning somehow (I get why this has to be kept mostly confidential). If I were 21 years old again, I would try to get into this - these mass optimization analyses are fascinating.

Last edited by tcook052; May 6, 2015 at 8:46 am
Old May 6, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wait what?

I have a July booking that's still on the 788. Although I'll admit you made me just go look it up
Originally Posted by D582
I think its 788 service until end of October then goes back to 763
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Now they just need to put the 787 back on the route!
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Haha, sorry. It's a frequent route for me, but past fall 15 it's reverting back to the old pods.

Yes, this please! I want to use AC to connect to my LH reward ticket in Mar 16, but it's back to the 763 and the pods. I want to fly the new 787 though...

As of right now I'm trying to see if I can connect via ORD, IAD or EWR on SAS instead.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not convinced. CPH appears to be the SK main hub, not ARN. Plus, ARN is further away. Most of Scandinavia is well served from CPH.

Anyway, looking at my patterns and final destinations, I have travelled to CPH once, BGO twice, OSL twice and GOT twice. Never to ARN... At least as a final destination. I once connected, going I think from OSL (but maybe GOT) to CDG.

(Apart from our last trip to BGO, this was all before AC started CPH though.)
Correct - CPH is the main SK hub and a better airport for transit than ARN.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Yes, this please! I want to use AC to connect to my LH reward ticket in Mar 16, but it's back to the 763 and the pods. I want to fly the new 787 though...

As of right now I'm trying to see if I can connect via ORD, IAD or EWR on SAS instead.
Unless you know for sure that the SK aircraft will have the new business cabin (all A330 aircraft should have it by that time), the AC pods would be more comfortable than the SK seats.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Unless you know for sure that the SK aircraft will have the new business cabin (all A330 aircraft should have it by that time), the AC pods would be more comfortable than the SK seats.
I am specifically aiming for routes served by A330, and with the upgraded J class seats. ^
Old May 6, 2015, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roastpuff
I am specifically aiming for routes served by A330, and with the upgraded J class seats. ^
Unless they do a last-minute switch to an A340...
Looking at recent award availability, SK has been VERY stingy with releasing award seats for flights with new business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.