Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada expanding its service to Copenhagen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.cph.dk/en/about-cph/press...to-copenhagen/

Air Canada wants to fly even more Danish travellers to international destinations via Toronto. From there, passengers have a vast choice of flights to US, Latin American and Caribbean destinations, for example.

There is a difference between winter and summer. This is true for air traffic, as well – the summer season normally being the busier period. Air Canada offers daily flights from Copenhagen to Toronto during the busy summer season, while flights have traditionally been cut down in winter.

That is about to change, however. Come next winter, Star Alliance airline Air Canada will increase its flights from Copenhagen from three to four a week.

“Our busy business travellers have long been requesting a Monday departure from CPH in the winter season in order to fit as much as possible into their business trip and return at the end of the week without too many stopovers. With our fourth weekly winter frequency, we are meeting this request,” said Marc Sam, Air Canada Country Manager.

Copenhagen Airport's Director of Airline Sales & Route Development Ole Wieth Christensen notes that leisure travellers also get additional options.

“This will make it even easier for Danish travellers to fly to Canada, and not least to use Air Canada's hub at Toronto Pearson International Airport, which offers convenient onward connections to the USA and South America, for example,” said Ole Wieth Christensen.

A founding member of the world's largest airline alliance, Star Alliance, Air Canada has 27,000 employees and operates flights to 178 destinations – a large number of them from Toronto Pearson International.

The added weekly winter flight from CPH will be on Mondays using one of the airline's Boeing B767 aircraft.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
It's also pretty good for us on the Canadian side for exploring northern Europe as no one else flies non-stop to Denmark, Sweden, Norway, or Finland from YYZ for most (perhaps all?) of the year. Also the FRA flight from YYZ has been considerably more expensive in Y than CPH any time I've checked prices. When I flew this route March 2014 there were quite a few empty seats though.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Now we just need AC to add a reasonable number of codeshares to other destinations in Europe and beyond with SAS from CPH (and Swiss from ZRH/GVA). Don't know why they have this seeming obsession with funneling everyone through FRA and MUC (OK - maybe it's the profit sharing agreement with LH and UA).
Old May 4, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
I wish I understood AC's decision to focus solely on serving the Nordics via CPH (this isn't new, it's been true for 40 years). At a minimum, they should be adding ARN rather than increasing capacity at CPH.

ARN (and OSL for that matter) is almost as big as CPH, and Sweden is both much bigger, and far more important as a trading/tourism country for Canada, than Denmark is.

I get that CPH is a slightly better Star Alliance connecting airport, but it's a marginal advantage, given the increase in European service across the board.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ensco
I wish I understood AC's decision to focus solely on serving the Nordics via CPH (this isn't new, it's been true for 40 years). At a minimum, they should be adding ARN rather than increasing capacity at CPH.

ARN (and OSL for that matter) is almost as big as CPH, and Sweden is both much bigger, and far more important as a trading/tourism country for Canada, than Denmark is.

I get that CPH is a slightly better Star Alliance connecting airport, but it's a marginal advantage, given the increase in European service across the board.
Going from three to four per week, and you would expect adding extra destinations? Atomizing further... Makes no sense whatsoever.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Going from three to four per week, and you would expect adding extra destinations? Atomizing further... Makes no sense whatsoever.
My main point is that serving CPH makes no sense vs ARN, if you have to pick one.

"Atomizing" does make sense sometimes btw. AC added GIG instead of increasing LIM from 3x weekly - I am not saying I think they should have increased LIM, just that there are some regions with traffic patterns where densing up a particular route isn't the only or best option.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:31 am

My main point is that serving CPH makes no sense vs ARN, if you have to pick one.

"Atomizing" does make sense sometimes btw. AC added GIG instead of increasing LIM from 3x weekly - I am not saying I think they should have increased LIM, just that there are some regions with traffic patterns where densing up a particular route isn't the only or best option.
GIG vs LIM? What the devil do those two have in common except that they are on the same continent?
Old May 4, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
wait, this just says increase from 3 to 4 flights a week... why does it need a press release?
Old May 4, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by Sebring
GIG vs LIM? What the devil do those two have in common except that they are on the same continent?
LOL +1 on this - We're not even talking the same thing. ARN and such are like an hour flying from CPH. GIG -> LIM is serious distance. GIG flights would not negatively impact LIM flights under any circumstances... They're so far apart! Thats like saying adding a flight to IST is going to Impact Dublin. Not likely.

It is interesting to note though that AC seems to be boosting a lot of its Euro destinations this fall. AMS got another run, CPH just got another run, Rome is going to run for 2 extra months 3 days from YYZ and 2 days from YUL instead of 3X to Milan.

It will be most interesting to see what AC itself has to say about its strategy tomorrow.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
wait, this just says increase from 3 to 4 flights a week... why does it need a press release?
Exactly! I opened this thinking maybe a flight to CPH from somewhere other than YYZ. Fingers crossed for YVR-CPH.

Brutal.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not convinced. CPH appears to be the SK main hub, not ARN. Plus, ARN is further away. Most of Scandinavia is well served from CPH.

Anyway, looking at my patterns and final destinations, I have travelled to CPH once, BGO twice, OSL twice and GOT twice. Never to ARN... At least as a final destination. I once connected, going I think from OSL (but maybe GOT) to CDG.

(Apart from our last trip to BGO, this was all before AC started CPH though.)
Old May 4, 2015, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by coisty
It's also pretty good for us on the Canadian side for exploring northern Europe as no one else flies non-stop to Denmark, Sweden, Norway, or Finland from YYZ for most (perhaps all?) of the year. Also the FRA flight from YYZ has been considerably more expensive in Y than CPH any time I've checked prices. When I flew this route March 2014 there were quite a few empty seats though.
A month ago on a Saturday YYZ-CPH, Y was oversold, and O and J only had a few seats left.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Not convinced. CPH appears to be the SK main hub, not ARN. Plus, ARN is further away. Most of Scandinavia is well served from CPH.

Anyway, looking at my patterns and final destinations, I have travelled to CPH once, BGO twice, OSL twice and GOT twice. Never to ARN... At least as a final destination. I once connected, going I think from OSL (but maybe GOT) to CDG.

(Apart from our last trip to BGO, this was all before AC started CPH though.)
Canada trade with Sweden is more than 2x that of Denmark.

CPH not the dominant SK hub any more, hasn't been for a while. From wiki....

SAS flights from ARN: Aalborg, Alicante, Amsterdam, Ankara (begins 30 June 2015), Athens, Barcelona, Bergen, Berlin–Tegel, Billund, Birmingham, Brussels, Budapest, Chicago–O'Hare, Copenhagen, Dublin, Düsseldorf, Edinburgh, Faro, Frankfurt, Geneva, Hamburg, Helsinki, Hong Kong (begins 10 September 2015),[33] London–Heathrow, Málaga, Manchester, Milan-Linate, Milan-Malpensa, Moscow–Sheremetyevo , Munich, Newark, Nice, Oslo–Gardermoen, Oulu, Palma de Mallorca, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Prague, Riga, Rome–Fiumicino, Saint Petersburg, Stavanger, Tampere, Thessaloniki, Tromsø, Trondheim, Turku, Vaasa, Vilnius, Zürich
Seasonal: Bastia, Biarritz, Bodø, Bologna, Bristol, Cagliari, Chania, Dubrovnik, Gazipaşa, Innsbruck, Malta, Naples, Olbia, Palermo, Pisa, Pristina, Pula,, Sarajevo, Split, Tel Aviv–Ben Gurion, Venice–Marco Polo

SAS flights from CPH: Aalborg, Aarhus, Aberdeen, Ålesund, Alicante, Amsterdam, Ankara (begins 6 June 2015), Athens, Barcelona, Beijing-Capital, Bergen, Berlin-Tegel, Billund, Birmingham, Bologna, Bremen, Brussels, Bucharest-Otopeni, Budapest, Chicago-O'Hare, Dublin, Düsseldorf, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Gdańsk, Geneva, Gothenburg-Landvetter, Hamburg, Hanover, Helsinki, Linköping, London-Heathrow, Luxembourg, Málaga, Manchester, Milan-Linate, Milan-Malpensa, Moscow-Sheremetyevo, Munich, Newark, Newcastle, Nice, Oslo-Gardermoen, Palanga, Palma de Mallorca, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Poznań, Prague, Pristina, Rome-Fiumicino, Saint Petersburg, San Francisco, Shanghai-Pudong, Stavanger, Stockholm-Arlanda, Stuttgart, Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion, Tokyo-Narita, Trondheim, Venice, Vilnius, Warsaw-Chopin, Washington-Dulles, Wrocław, Zürich
Seasonal: Bastia, Biarritz, Cagliari, Chania, Dubrovnik, Faro, Gazipaşa, Ivalo, Kiruna, Montpellier, Naples, Kittilä, Palermo, Pisa, Pristina, Pula, Salzburg, Split, Thessaloniki
Old May 4, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev
Now we just need AC to add a reasonable number of codeshares to other destinations in Europe and beyond with SAS from CPH (and Swiss from ZRH/GVA). Don't know why they have this seeming obsession with funneling everyone through FRA and MUC (OK - maybe it's the profit sharing agreement with LH and UA).
I would have been happy to fly SAS LHR-CPH-FRA, but their pricing was about triple the price of LHR-FRA n/s. BASed on this i don't hold out hope for SAS doing more intraEurope codeshares with AC.

I wonder if prorates is the reason for SAS and Swiss not doing more codeshares with AC and the rest of star. Mileage based prorates might make it uneconomical for SAS to fly the codeshare.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by coisty
Not on *A, but Finnair has 3x weekly YYZ-HEL. Not so great for onward connections outside of Europe but certainly a less painful transfer than LHR if you're headed somewhere else in northern Europe (e.g. OSL, ARN, TLL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.