Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
So that's how bean counters value your life it would appear? Our bottom line is more important than your safety...
You have outdone yourself this time.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by upgradesecret
You have outdone yourself this time.
+1

It would be really interesting to read an estimated cost for installing GPS landing instrumentation on AC's remaining Airbii that lack it.

Would this be less than the hull loss of the incident aircraft? The coming claim settlements from pax who were injured and traumatized? The regulatory proceedings and requirements that will flow from this event?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Ditto ^ All in all, I fly full well knowing I have a higher probability dying getting to the airport then flying.
If not on the way to the airport, then drinking in the lounge waiting for departure.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Watching CNN International here in Istanbul... this accident was mentioned briefly with visuals.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
+1

It would be really interesting to read an estimated cost for installing GPS landing instrumentation on AC's remaining Airbii that lack it.

Would this be less than the hull loss of the incident aircraft? The coming claim settlements from pax who were injured and traumatized? The regulatory proceedings and requirements that will flow from this event?
The rumour out there is that the inability to upgrade the very early frames to a GPS-enabled guidance solution and other modern avionics is one of the factors that accelerated AC's decision to order and seek rapid delivery of the 737Max planes rather than run the 320 fleet into the ground.

Its rather like a minor paint blemish on an old car and worn out engine that you know you're going to be getting rid of in a year or two. Few go running to the body shop for a $3000 re-paint in such circumstance.

As the evidence is shaping up, it appears that either there was some sort of windshear event, or the pilots lacked appropriate vertical guidance in low visibility and did not appropriately exercise their discretion to execute a missed approach.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

CBC: airbags deployed along with oxygen masks.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL-Gold; BAEC-Newbie Silver
Originally Posted by transportprof
+1

It all (probably) depends on the following:

A - Number of aircraft (w/o GPS)
B - Probable rate of accident (due to lack of GPS)
C - Average out-of-court settlement in each "hard landing"
X - Cost of installing GPS on all remaining AC aircraft

If X < A*B*C, then the bean counters might say no!

p.s: Adapted from "Flight Club," which in turn got it from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus_of_negligence
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by pitz
The rumour out there is that the inability to upgrade the very early frames to a GPS-enabled guidance solution and other modern avionics is one of the factors that accelerated AC's decision to order and seek rapid delivery of the 737Max planes rather than run the 320 fleet into the ground.
What a choice of words!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
Except Getthereitis is actually a thing in aviation.

http://www.flyaoamedia.com/flight-si...-pilot-killer/
I know it is. I've had extensive training in the concept. My point was this: it's unfair to comment and speculate in advance of any facts.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by umichguy
It all (probably) depends on the following:

A - Number of aircraft (w/o GPS)
B - Probable rate of accident (due to lack of GPS)
C - Average out-of-court settlement in each "hard landing"
X - Cost of installing GPS on all remaining AC aircraft

If X < A*B*C, then the bean counters might say no!

p.s: Adapted from "Flight Club," which in turn got it from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus_of_negligence
Where does the cost of the aircraft fit into the above equation? An A320 sells for +/- $100 million these days. What would a 20 year old bird be worth?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

TSB will hold a news conference today at 6:30pm AST (530pm EST)
CBC Nova Scotia will carry it live on their website.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia

EDIT:
If you click the link above, the first story has a video showing a news conference with Air Canadas VP. WOW, he sure seemed unprepared for that interview.
1st he calls it a crash, then he calls it a hard landing, then he calls it a crash again.

Also...
Reporter: How often does this type of accident happen at Air Canada?
AC VP: You know I'm not certain how often this happens at Air Canada

Like...seriously?

Last edited by pilotboy1985YYC; Mar 29, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:18 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Not at all. I'll break it down for you as it seems you did not comprehend what was written;
If the emergency services response times are as reported, the staffing and equipment cutbacks at Canada's airports are going to come back to bite the MoT's posterior.

No conclusion made. The definitive word is IF. The issue of response times has been an ongoing issue. CAR 303's legacy has been a major stated concern of Canada's firefighters and airline pilots associations.

It is not a conclusion, but a statement of expectation based upon past events that whenever emergency response times are even remotely raised, a lengthy discussion is held. Here's an example;

On 16 December 1997, barely two weeks after CAR 303 was proclaimed in law, an Air Canada Regional Jet crashed on a foggy night during an aborted landing at Fredericton, New Brunswick, one of the 28 designated airports with mandatory on-site ERS. Although the aircraft was destroyed and several people seriously injured, there were miraculously no fatalities. It took the one airport fire-fighter who was required to be on duty and who was just about to go off shift without a replacement about 15 minutes to locate the aircraft on the airport premises. This prompted numerous questions in the media about the adequacy of the new CAR. Within a week of the accident, the Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs publicized its deep misgivings about the new regulation. Coming just before Christmas, Transport Canada publicly downplayed these concerns.

Sound familiar? The current public reaction is a repeat of the reaction to the Fredericton incident. If the issue of response times is not raised in the coming days, you can criticize me all you want, but I can guarantee you that it will be raised.

As for my comment about the airport's disaster plan not looking too impressive, it was my opinion. Perhaps you see it as a stellar textbook response that should be emulated at other airports. okie dokie. We have different impressions of the response to the event.
My point was that you say "I'll wait for the investigation and the associated reports." and then, 13 minutes later you proceed to speculate on the emergency response situation. Yes, you said "IF" but that seems to contradict your statement on waiting for actual reports...with facts.

Public reaction is never measured sane. Media are more and more speculative and less and else reliable. At the moment, the only facts we know as facts is that something happened and a plane went off the runway. A bunch of people were sent to hospital. That's about it.

Eyewitness reports from people on the plane are unreliable, due to probable extreme overreaction and adrenalin, as well as anything said by official sources.

I was going to commend you on a logical statement of not jumping to any conclusions until official TSB reports, end then... poof! It was gone.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
TSB will hold a news conference today at 6:30pm AST (530pm EST)
CBC Nova Scotia will carry it live on their website.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia

EDIT:
If you click the link above, the first story has a video showing a news conference with Air Canadas VP. WOW, he sure seemed unprepared for that interview.
1st he calls it a crash, then he calls it a hard landing, then he calls it a crash again.

Also...
Reporter: How often does this type of accident happen at Air Canada?
AC VP: You know I'm not certain how often this happens at Air Canada

Like...seriously?

That was a terrible press conference. For an airline which had just imperiled 138 pax and crew, this guy seemed more annoyed having to talk about it than actually caring to get the right message across. I guess it's the true face of AC management.

CBC's expert says the technical description should be "hard landing resulting in a crash". Not crash landing or "poor landing"

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/nova...ding-1.3014165

However just after that, CBC headlines the event as a crash landing again. Lol

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; Mar 29, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
Would be interesting to compare how YHZ is equipped with say, BOS or LGA.
BOS and LGA have ~4x the traffic as YHZ.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
We can debate amongst ourselves whether it was a 'crash', a 'hard landing', a 'runway excursion' or merely an exciting introduction to Nova Scotia. The verbiage doesn't matter: the event will be properly defined as an accident by the TSB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.