Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to combine tickets for protection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

Hi there

I have an existing ticket, YYZ-LHR-JNB-FRA-YYZ, in business class.

However, I will need to depart from YYC and return to YYC, thus will need to buy a YYC-YYZ and YYZ-YYC ticket before departure and after arrival.

Is it possible for me to buy a economy class YYZ-YYC-YYZ ticket and have Air Canada combine the reservations so that I would be protected? If so, what's the best way to go about this?

Cheers,
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I don't believe they can be actually combined, but you can speak to AC customer service (or the Concierge - I believe you're SE?) and they will cross-reference the PNRs in the AC system, so that if there's a delay on one, it will be flagged on your other ticket.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Hi there

I have an existing ticket, YYZ-LHR-JNB-FRA-YYZ, in business class.

However, I will need to depart from YYC and return to YYC, thus will need to buy a YYC-YYZ and YYZ-YYC ticket before departure and after arrival.

Is it possible for me to buy a economy class YYZ-YYC-YYZ ticket and have Air Canada combine the reservations so that I would be protected? If so, what's the best way to go about this?

Cheers,
Can you not just call in and see if you can change the YYZ-LHR to YYC-LHR and the FRA-YYZ to FRA-YYC?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Any time that I have booked connecting flights on 2 different PNRs, I go to the check in counter and ask them to link the two, when I check in for my flight. They will do that, or put a note in your file, so that you are protected.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Any time that I have booked connecting flights on 2 different PNRs, I go to the check in counter and ask them to link the two, when I check in for my flight. They will do that, or put a note in your file, so that you are protected.
A note in the file does not necessarily mean that you arer protected.

But yes, they may try and help.

I suspect it's basically the same as checking luggage through.

I would second the suggestion, of inquiring whether changing the ticket is not overly pricey.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Whenever flying on separate PNRs, the airline does not have an obligation to protect you if you misconnect or during IRROPS. I wouldn't be too concerned though if it's all AC metal and you're SE.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
Whenever flying on separate PNRs, the airline does not have an obligation to protect you if you misconnect or during IRROPS. I wouldn't be too concerned though if it's all AC metal and you're SE.
That's actually not correct.

Originally Posted by http://www.aircanada.com/en/drs/documents/irop.pdf
This applies to:
-Customers holding separate tickets:
ƒ -Air Canada connecting to Air Canada
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC:50K
As cow says, you're protected on an AC-AC connection even if it's on two separate tickets... but it's still worth having the xref added so that they know that they need to protect you.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
I have done this and I was protected when bad wx threw YYZ into a spasm of IRROPS.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:20 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I just did something very similar and got a delay between the two tickets, causing a missed flight.

I did ask the bags to get checked through and when I came off the airplane, someone was there and had protected me on a later flight.

I'm not sure if this helped, or a gardian angel was with me, but I'm thinking checking luggage through can't hurt.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's actually not correct.
Originally Posted by cperciva
As cow says, you're protected on an AC-AC connection even if it's on two separate tickets... but it's still worth having the xref added so that they know that they need to protect you.
Interesting. Does this cover all cases? i.e. what's the difference between IROPS (> 2 hours) and a 20 minute flight delay which causes you to miss your flight on the next PNR?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:41 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by yvr76
Interesting. Does this cover all cases? i.e. what's the difference between IROPS (> 2 hours) and a 20 minute flight delay which causes you to miss your flight on the next PNR?
I'm not sure I am correctly interpreting your question. In either case, the airline is responsible for eventually betting you to your destination, are they not?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:59 am

Does anyone happen know if the above irop document that’s linked is still valid? The link is active and appears to have last been updated in 2019. Have a friend looking to book two separate tickets XXX-YYZ//YYZ-ZZZ with a 2h45m connection. Will save ~70k points over booking as a single ticket. Keeps trying to book as a multi city but it errors out on the payment page.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't have a link to a newer document, but if it's an AC to AC connection, you're probably fine... but you need to find an agent willing to help, which is likely to be the much bigger issue.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: ba silver
Like some suggested I would consider looking at changing the booking to depart YYC. There are so many sales that pop up and you may actually get a fare from YYC for little more ( or even nothing).

I have Been protected on AC issued separate tickets in the past without issue. The advantage I had was departing from an airport with AC employees.

The problem OP might have is if there are IROPs in JNB the LH ( or contracted employees) may not be willing or or able to help with rerouting.

Safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.