Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to combine tickets for protection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to combine tickets for protection?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Like some suggested I would consider looking at changing the booking to depart YYC. There are so many sales that pop up and you may actually get a fare from YYC for little more ( or even nothing).

I have Been protected on AC issued separate tickets in the past without issue. The advantage I had was departing from an airport with AC employees.

The problem OP might have is if there are IROPs in JNB the LH ( or contracted employees) may not be willing or or able to help with rerouting.

Safe travels!
Other than your middle paragraph, you're responding to a post from over 8 years ago
YYCCL3 and FlyerTalkUserName like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't have a link to a newer document, but if it's an AC to AC connection, you're probably fine... but you need to find an agent willing to help, which is likely to be the much bigger issue.
he found a very helpful agent who tried to book the itinerary over the phone as a multi city, but couldn’t accomplish it because it was a same-day connecting flight. He booked as two one-ways, and is going to roll the dice on the connection.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
One important note - if originating in usa, and going back to usa that is cabotage without minimum 4 hours in Canada (I believe 4…).
likely not your situation, you never know…
AC will have an issue with that…
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 3:51 pm

Would it make a difference if it's a booking with a partner airline and not AC?

Being in YXE I usually take a positioning flight to one of the coast airports so I can be in a different mileage band and not have to pay AC dynamic pricing. Looking to do YUL-IST-CAI-ADD-JRO (7,964mi) and in the past used WS for the positioning flight but came across this thread and looks like I can be protected right from YXE if I stick with AC as the separate positioning flight via cash or other booking means (Avion etc.)?

Not being protected the whole way was to stressful and really meant rolling the dice, instead was planning on going the night before and staying in a hotel but even that isn't 100% guaranteed especially in winter.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Burgertime
One important note - if originating in usa, and going back to usa that is cabotage without minimum 4 hours in Canada (I believe 4…).
likely not your situation, you never know…
AC will have an issue with that…
Thank you for noting! This is a US to EU routing, but I had a mild panic when I misread your post initially.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by matt.h10
Would it make a difference if it's a booking with a partner airline and not AC?

Being in YXE I usually take a positioning flight to one of the coast airports so I can be in a different mileage band and not have to pay AC dynamic pricing. Looking to do YUL-IST-CAI-ADD-JRO (7,964mi) and in the past used WS for the positioning flight but came across this thread and looks like I can be protected right from YXE if I stick with AC as the separate positioning flight via cash or other booking means (Avion etc.)?

Not being protected the whole way was to stressful and really meant rolling the dice, instead was planning on going the night before and staying in a hotel but even that isn't 100% guaranteed especially in winter.
The 4+ year old document that isn't meant for passengers suggests that yes, you would be protected.

I've only ever attempted (and all attempts were successful) to use these terms when both PNRs were:
1. Cash
2. 014, booked on AC.com
3. Entirely AC metal

The cost to AC to rebook you to OAL J at the last minute is not zero.
The cost to AC to rebook you from AC to AC is basically zero.

I would not gamble with anything this old. The schedule change policy has changed dozens of times in the last 4 years. The fact that we have not seen a more up to date IROP policy does not mean it hasn't changed.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Wondering if there’s any update to this? Unfortunately I can’t book a multi-city itinerary I want, so will have to do separate tickets. Would 014 stock vs 016 stock make a difference? My desire is to have a 1hr45m connection in YYZ but that might be too crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.