Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AirCanada - interline with AF, but what about fare w/ luggage optional?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I am flying with AC to CDG, and look to continue from CDG with AF to either ZRH or VIE, have not decided yet. I read on one of the post that AC has interline agreement with AF, which means that provided similar PNR on the tickets, I can get my luggage checked through, yes?

What happened though if the fare from CDG to VIE/ZRH is a fare type that has checked luggage as a paid option? Where would I get charged for the luggage fee, is it during check in?

The reason I do not buy the ticket as through tickets is that my itinerary is an award itinerary from UA. CDG is just the stopover, the real destination is ICN. We are flying to VIE or ZRH while we are in Europe since we don't want to spend all 5 days in Paris. We thought we might as well get the non-Paris itinerary out of the way first since we have to continue to ICN from CDG anyway.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by r0m8470
Hi, I am flying with AC to CDG, and look to continue from CDG with AF to either ZRH or VIE, have not decided yet. I read on one of the post that AC has interline agreement with AF, which means that provided similar PNR on the tickets, I can get my luggage checked through, yes?
Yes. In fact, you can present two separate tickets altogether to a suitably competent AC check-in agent, and they'll check you in for both the AC and the AF flights and check your bags through to the final destination.

What happened though if the fare from CDG to VIE/ZRH is a fare type that has checked luggage as a paid option? Where would I get charged for the luggage fee, is it during check in?
I'm not sure on this. If you buy it all on one PNR, the baggage check policy and fees only to the originating carrier. So in theory, you'd "avoid" the fees for the AF flights. Want to test it out?

The reason I do not buy the ticket as through tickets is that my itinerary is an award itinerary from UA. CDG is just the stopover, the real destination is ICN. We are flying to VIE or ZRH while we are in Europe since we don't want to spend all 5 days in Paris. We thought we might as well get the non-Paris itinerary out of the way first since we have to continue to ICN from CDG anyway.
I'm thinking that interline carriers have a sort of 'gentleman's agreement' whereby they don't bother collecting nor assessing bag fees on behalf of other carriers. It just goes through, as a courtesy. But I have no source that I can cite, so if someone asks you for the money, well, you should be prepared to fork it up.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pitz
I'm thinking that interline carriers have a sort of 'gentleman's agreement' whereby they don't bother collecting nor assessing bag fees on behalf of other carriers. It just goes through, as a courtesy. But I have no source that I can cite, so if someone asks you for the money, well, you should be prepared to fork it up.
Eh, AF would be perfectly within their rights to collect any baggage fee, and I would not be surprised if they did. Baggage fees apply per tickets per direction. Even if you link the itineraries by interlining, you've got two separate contracts with two separate airlines, and the former doesn't influence the latter.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
Eh, AF would be perfectly within their rights to collect any baggage fee, and I would not be surprised if they did. Baggage fees apply per tickets per direction. Even if you link the itineraries by interlining, you've got two separate contracts with two separate airlines, and the former doesn't influence the latter.
But does the infrastructure exist to make AC collect an AF fee? I don't think so. Even excess weight/excess baggage fees, AFAIK, are not shared amongst the carriers on an interline or code share agreement, as the belief is that such charges will net out to zero.

Contracts or not, I've just never heard of it happening. But as I suggested, the OP should try it out and see if they catch up with him for the fees!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.