Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada's aging 767-300's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Ahhh. Yep, I was on AC414
That same bird visited here as AC43/44 twice in the past 10 days.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold

Wow, it still shocks me how much you know about AC. Thanks
This and dozens of other AC-specific issues have been discussed to death, generally as they transpired, on other popular industry forums that do count airline employees among their members. winnipegrev may be an AC employee, or may simply have been reading the forums for several years and retained what he/she learned. I'm the furthest person from an AC insider and I recalled the same thing about the 767 interiors from my own readings. The topics were certainly varied and lively as AC lurched from crisis to crisis from the CP takeover point up to their present day rosier outlook.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Does anyone know how old the oldest 763's are? Does anyone know when they will be axed from the fleet?
You can check the age of specific airframes by looking up the aircraft registry on the TCCA website.

I was surprised to see the pods today YYZ to YUL, and was even more shocked to see that they had the LED overhead lighting feature
I believe the LEDs were added as part of the XM project that started about 8-10 years ago.

The lavs were tiny, and the hygiene is very poor. You have to hold down the cold/hot water WHILE washing your hands? That doesn't seem very bright to me (hygiene wise).
There are more germs on the doorknobs and keyboards you touch every day. Do a swab test, you'll be surprised what's on those and other daily items you use.

Why didn't they update the bins when they were refurbishing the aircraft anyways? (and why retrofit for LEDs, there are more important things to retro)
Cost and cost. Replacing bins costs money, takes longer which means the aircraft is AOG longer, therefore not making revenue for AC. LEDs last longer than flurescent bulbs, this means less maintenance costs.

Whoever he was, he was super courteous to the folks in J, and...something I've never seen before. The FA's during deboarding thanked people during deplaning. The Captain was there too...but the SD was out by where they usually gate check bags (on the jetway), thanking everyone again with a smile. I was shocked. I've never been thanked so many times by so many people.
Really? This has been SOP for all my flights wide body or otherwise. Wide body the SD and FAs always saying thak-you, Captain/FO many but not all the time. Narrow body, SD always saying thank-you, FA sometimes depending on their position (I assume) and Captain/FO as well sometimes.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Wide body the SD and FAs always saying thak-you, Captain/FO many but not all the time. Narrow body, SD always saying thank-you, FA sometimes depending on their position (I assume) and Captain/FO as well sometimes.
You may notice a correlation between bad landings and the cockpit door remaining closed/pilots seated when disembarking
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
You may notice a correlation between bad landings and the cockpit door remaining closed/pilots seated when disembarking
I don't recall ever experiencing a bad landing, I've walked away from every landing so far!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:11 pm

The original 777/787 order was on condition AC were to promptly finalize the contract. To do this, they needed pilot approval. That order would have had Boeing pay for and install 777-style interiors on all 767s, and IIRC winglets too.

But AC dragged its feet, thinking pilots would agree to fly shiny 777s just because they would be fun to fly, ignoring other things ACPA wanted. The deal lapsed, AC had to reorder the aircraft under less favourable conditions. Hence the old style bins.
Some would say that the pilots thought that they could hold the company for ransom and get the shiny new toys and a big pile of money.
That did not happen because the company cancelled the order.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:25 pm

The original 777/787 order was on condition AC were to promptly finalize the contract. To do this, they needed pilot approval. That order would have had Boeing pay for and install 777-style interiors on all 767s, and IIRC winglets too.

But AC dragged its feet, thinking pilots would agree to fly shiny 777s just because they would be fun to fly, ignoring other things ACPA wanted. The deal lapsed, AC had to reorder the aircraft under less favourable conditions. Hence the old style bins.
I actually heard the opposite regarding the acquisition terms of the "2nd" order from Boeing.

Weird. It doesn't say on the link Dorian gave me (unless I mis read it...). That make much more sense. It felt like a 30ish year old plane to me!
I can see why. Don't think there's an airline out there that works their 767 fleet harder than AC has used theirs ... They continually push them to the edges of their envelope.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 28, 2015 at 10:36 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I actually heard the opposite regarding the acquisition terms of the "2nd" order from Boeing.
Air Canada has always received sweetheart deals from Boing.
Especially since Boeing thought they had a deal sewn up for 777-200's back whenever and Air Canada realized that they could do better with Airbus 340's instead.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Some would say that the pilots thought that they could hold the company for ransom and get the shiny new toys and a big pile of money.
That did not happen because the company cancelled the order.
The pilots ended up more or less getting what they wanted. It was a long time ago but I seem to recall the pay rates AC proposed for flying the 787 and separately 777 were not on a competitive scale against the 767 and 333/343 rates at the time. And this was after pilots took major pay cuts after 9/11 and the company went cap in hand the year before the original order in 2003 asking for 15% salary rollback, not take their annual raise, and not take a bonus they had coming. If you also remember ACE talk of spinoffs and Milton - that angered the pilots too.

All employee groups made concessions after 9/11 when AC started struggling (well, struggling more than usual). But the other employees didn't take the same % pay cuts as pilots and were getting back to original pay faster. The pilots weren't happy when AC needed them to be.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Air Canada has always received sweetheart deals from Boing.
Especially since Boeing thought they had a deal sewn up for 777-200's back whenever and Air Canada realized that they could do better with Airbus 340's instead.
Agreed.
Have it on good authority the 787 terms AC negotiated are remarkable.
Always laugh when people around here attribute some Boeing products as "compensation for 787 delay". Boeing would gladly let AC out of their 787 order from what I've heard.
Think it's a very safe assumption the recent MAX order terms are in the same boat considering how it went down.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Agreed.
Have it on good authority the 787 terms AC negotiated are remarkable.
Always laugh when people around here attribute some Boeing products as "compensation for 787 delay". Boeing would gladly let AC out of their 787 order from what I've heard.
Think it's a very safe assumption the recent MAX order terms are in the same boat considering how it went down.
It was a big deal to get AC which looked to be going all Airbus back to Boeing's side, and I bet Boeing paid through the nose for it.

With the Max, they had better have gotten a good deal considering how much better the neo vs max seems to be for all other airlines.

3621 vs 2452 ordered.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Wirelessly posted (galaxy tab: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.0.1418 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Does anyone know how old the oldest 763's are? Does anyone know when they will be axed from the fleet?

I was surprised to see the pods today YYZ to YUL, and was even more shocked to see that they had the LED overhead lighting feature, but boy was this plane old. The lavs were tiny, and the hygiene is very poor. You have to hold down the cold/hot water WHILE washing your hands? That doesn't seem very bright to me (hygiene wise). Sure the product was XM style, but the pods were all worn down and dirty, plus the bins were tiny. My regulation bags fit, but I had to lay it wheels to the side like a douche but I had no choice. Why didn't they update the bins when they were refurbishing the aircraft anyways? (and why retrofit for LEDs, there are more important things to retro)

I'm not sure if they spec 1:50 on a widebody in Y (I don't think so IIRC), but service was worse in Y than on a YYZ YOW run which is shorter (on a narrowbody). When I heard the SD's first name was ____, I immediately went...hey, that could be ACYYZ/SD (I've PMd him). Whoever he was, he was super courteous to the folks in J, and...something I've never seen before. The FA's during deboarding thanked people during deplaning. The Captain was there too...but the SD was out by where they usually gate check bags (on the jetway), thanking everyone again with a smile. I was shocked. I've never been thanked so many times by so many people.

Downside? Delayed by an hour or so....back of my mind thinking that it's because the plane is so old...and then realizing if I posted it on FT I would have my genitals cut off

*puts armor suit on*
How many 763 flights have you been on? Your experience seems typical of any of the XM'd 763s I've been on.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jaysona

Really? This has been SOP for all my flights wide body or otherwise. Wide body the SD and FAs always saying thak-you, Captain/FO many but not all the time. Narrow body, SD always saying thank-you, FA sometimes depending on their position (I assume) and Captain/FO as well sometimes.
On the jetway? Certain not my experience...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:16 am

It was a big deal to get AC which looked to be going all Airbus back to Boeing's side, and I bet Boeing paid through the nose for it.

With the Max, they had better have gotten a good deal considering how much better the neo vs max seems to be for all other airlines.

3621 vs 2452 ordered.
Was personally hoping for the NEO as I think 321NEO will be a star for a long time. But, it's a bottom-line business and AC know how to cut deals for aircraft.

I can't wait for my first 737-9MAX YULYVR flight on a muggy, summer Montreal day ... Wheels might not get off the pavement before Ottawa.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:26 am

On the jetway? Certain not my experience...
I never mentioned the jetway, but yes it is not uncommon. I think it's just less crowded that way since there's also an FA at the door, so two people at the door saying goodbye can feel a tad cramped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.