Air Canada's aging 767-300's

Old Jan 28, 15, 6:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Air Canada's aging 767-300's

Does anyone know how old the oldest 763's are? Does anyone know when they will be axed from the fleet?

I was surprised to see the pods today YYZ to YUL, and was even more shocked to see that they had the LED overhead lighting feature, but boy was this plane old. The lavs were tiny, and the hygiene is very poor. You have to hold down the cold/hot water WHILE washing your hands? That doesn't seem very bright to me (hygiene wise). Sure the product was XM style, but the pods were all worn down and dirty, plus the bins were tiny. My regulation bags fit, but I had to lay it wheels to the side like a douche but I had no choice. Why didn't they update the bins when they were refurbishing the aircraft anyways? (and why retrofit for LEDs, there are more important things to retro)

I'm not sure if they spec 1:50 on a widebody in Y (I don't think so IIRC), but service was worse in Y than on a YYZ YOW run which is shorter (on a narrowbody). When I heard the SD's first name was ____, I immediately went...hey, that could be ACYYZ/SD (I've PMd him). Whoever he was, he was super courteous to the folks in J, and...something I've never seen before. The FA's during deboarding thanked people during deplaning. The Captain was there too...but the SD was out by where they usually gate check bags (on the jetway), thanking everyone again with a smile. I was shocked. I've never been thanked so many times by so many people.

Downside? Delayed by an hour or so....back of my mind thinking that it's because the plane is so old...and then realizing if I posted it on FT I would have my genitals cut off

*puts armor suit on*
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:19 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Air-Canada
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Thanks, but it doesn't address things like...when are they going to be removed, why didn't they completely gut and retrofit etc

I've been on other AC 767-300's...this one seemed much older than 2001. It had the old 747 top deck bin style....or am I losing my mind and every single 767 has that style...can anyone put in a bag wheels in on a 763?
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:21 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Thanks, but it doesn't address things like...when are they going to be removed, why didn't they completely gut and retrofit etc
Guess who doesn't have those answers? (hint: it's me)
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:29 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
6 of them are around 15 years old. The rest are between 22 and 27 years old.

Reminds me when I travelled London to Halifax in July, my mum and I were travelling the same day, but she was on Transat. I was talking to a woman at Heathrow about that and she said oh my son wouldn't let me get on a a 30 year old 310. I said so you'll go on a 25 year old 767 instead and she said oh don't say that!
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moorw003 View Post
6 of them are around 15 years old. The rest are between 22 and 27 years old.
Weird. It doesn't say on the link Dorian gave me (unless I mis read it...). That make much more sense. It felt like a 30ish year old plane to me!
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Does anyone know how old the oldest 763's are? Does anyone know when they will be axed from the fleet?

I was surprised to see the pods today YYZ to YUL, and was even more shocked to see that they had the LED overhead lighting feature, but boy was this plane old. The lavs were tiny, and the hygiene is very poor. You have to hold down the cold/hot water WHILE washing your hands? That doesn't seem very bright to me (hygiene wise). Sure the product was XM style, but the pods were all worn down and dirty, plus the bins were tiny. My regulation bags fit, but I had to lay it wheels to the side like a douche but I had no choice. Why didn't they update the bins when they were refurbishing the aircraft anyways? (and why retrofit for LEDs, there are more important things to retro)

I'm not sure if they spec 1:50 on a widebody in Y (I don't think so IIRC), but service was worse in Y than on a YYZ YOW run which is shorter (on a narrowbody). When I heard the SD's first name was ____, I immediately went...hey, that could be ACYYZ/SD (I've PMd him). Whoever he was, he was super courteous to the folks in J, and...something I've never seen before. The FA's during deboarding thanked people during deplaning. The Captain was there too...but the SD was out by where they usually gate check bags (on the jetway), thanking everyone again with a smile. I was shocked. I've never been thanked so many times by so many people.

Downside? Delayed by an hour or so....back of my mind thinking that it's because the plane is so old...and then realizing if I posted it on FT I would have my genitals cut off

*puts armor suit on*
Not guilty

I was "Transborder" today.
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:34 pm

The original 777/787 order was on condition AC were to promptly finalize the contract. To do this, they needed pilot approval. That order would have had Boeing pay for and install 777-style interiors on all 767s, and IIRC winglets too.

But AC dragged its feet, thinking pilots would agree to fly shiny 777s just because they would be fun to fly, ignoring other things ACPA wanted. The deal lapsed, AC had to reorder the aircraft under less favourable conditions. Hence the old style bins.
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:34 pm

EDIT. 2001 is the date when the planes switched over from Canadian Airlines to AC. The true dates can be found by clicking on the individual C/N numbers.
douglasr likes this.
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moorw003 View Post
The link Dorian gave shows the date they were delivered to AC. If you click on the c/n numbers on the far left, you can see the first flight data.
Ahhh. Thank you for the clarification

Originally Posted by winnipegrev View Post
The original 777/787 order was on condition AC were to promptly finalize the contract. To do this, they needed pilot approval. That order would have had Boeing pay for and install 777-style interiors on all 767s, and IIRC winglets too.

But AC dragged its feet, thinking pilots would agree to fly shiny 777s just because they would be fun to fly, ignoring other things ACPA wanted. The deal lapsed, AC had to reorder the aircraft under less favourable conditions. Hence the old style bins.
Wow, it still shocks me how much you know about AC. Thanks
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Ironically, the newest 763's in AC's Mainline fleet were the ex-Hawaiian Fins (691/692) which were the first to go to Rouge. Circa 2004.
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Since we're talking about fleet ages, I guess i'll expand on my question for you gurus, is AC's average fleet age considered old? I honestly did not know how old AC planes were until today...
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:50 pm

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Air%20Canada.htm

To briefly summarise, the 320's and the 767's are a bit long in the tooth and pushes the average up because they make up a huge strand of the fleet. All the other planes are much newer though.
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Since we're talking about fleet ages, I guess i'll expand on my question for you gurus, is AC's average fleet age considered old? I honestly did not know how old AC planes were until today...
A competitor with a newer average fleet age would like to tell you they're old.

B-52s have a planned service life of 100 years.

If you were on AC414 or AC421 today, that was C-GBZR, 23 years old.
Old Jan 28, 15, 7:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by After Burner View Post

If you were on AC414 or AC421 today, that was C-GBZR, 23 years old.
Ahhh. Yep, I was on AC414

Search this Thread