Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does the IKK benefit not apply to Rouge flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat

I've been trying to book YYZ-MCO for a family holiday and have noticed that on multiple dates/flights IKK economy flights are not available even when the flight is clearly not in an oversell situation (cheaper Flex fares being sold and seat map is only half full). I can purchase Aeroplan market fares on these same dates for 25% more miles (and slightly lower fees), but no IKK.

I confess that I have no previous experience trying to IKK economy class Rouge flights. Have they always been excepted from IKK or is this a new development? Given the ever expanding footprint of Rouge, I hope that this is a short term technical issue rather than a policy. I have sent a PM to Ben asking for assistance or clarification.

SG
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:22 am
alc

Last Jan (2014) when I was still SE, I was be able to IKK 4 Y seats for YYZ-CUN and another 4 Y seats for CUN-YYZ. The dates was during the X'mas holidays too. So unless something had changed, IKK should work for rouge flights.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE
Just booked an IKK Y on rouge for YYC-LAS yesterday (not available as classic reward). so seemed to work for me.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Maybe it is just me

...or perhaps they are now restricting it on dates/routes that they expect to sell out.

I will report back if Ben responds to my IM.

SG
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I had to do some shenanigans to IKK a rouge flight a year ago (it was booked 150/150, but I wanted to cancel my existing ticket and rebook it), and I know for a fact I got the last seat.

I'd call in and ask them about it. Lower Flex fares being available does not mean they're not oversold, and an empty seat map on a route that sells lots of Tango also doesn't mean much.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Snow Goose

SG
"I can purchase Aeroplan market fares on these same dates for 25% more miles (and slightly lower fees), but no IKK"

----> Yup. That seems to be the new 1KK. I can confirm that experience

"I hope that this is a short term technical issue rather than a policy. "

-----> Doubtful! It's all policy.

I have sent a PM to Ben asking for assistance or clarification.

-----> Good luck with that.

Welcome to the new SE.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I will report back if Ben responds to my IM.
I dunno if it's an honest mistake, but how are you IMing Ben? I mean...sheeeet.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I dunno if it's an honest mistake, but how are you IMing Ben? I mean...sheeeet.
Ok - PM

Happy now?

SG
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Ok - PM

Happy now?

SG
Damn. Nah I was genuinely curious and wasn't trolling. I've had great conversations about various things with Ben via email, but IM'ing was clearly out of my league, lol
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Op, did you try calling the Aeroplan line to see what they had to say? I have had a lot of success with YEG PHX IKK this winter. I have flown 11 family members on different dates via ACr on IKK when Classic flights weren't available.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Op, did you try calling the Aeroplan line to see what they had to say? I have had a lot of success with YEG PHX IKK this winter. I have flown 11 family members on different dates via ACr on IKK when Classic flights weren't available.
Yes, I called Aeroplan thinking that it was possibly a problem with the website. They were not able to access IKK either, but offered market fares as an alternative (which I declined).

SG
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Ben would tell you it is only certain routes on certain dates.

It is so obviously a misrepresentation that it is just absurd.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OP, try sending a DM to ACAltitude on Twitter. Let them know you're looking for Y (not J), which is only supposed to be capacity controlled if the flight is oversold.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
The stated benefit on the Altitude website is "access to any unsold Economy Class Seat."
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
The stated benefit on the Altitude website is "access to any unsold Economy Class Seat."
I think the real question is: do benefits that Altitude members receive on AC also accrue on all rouge flights in exactly the same way? Not having time to read all the T&Cs at Altitude right now, do they explicitly state any thing other than AC (mainlane)? In the past AC Express/Jazz was included. But is that coincidental or deliberate policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.