Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Geezuz. All this time I thought "Tim Ho Wan" was the fobby way to say Tim Hortons.
Lol same here.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Ok, I'm really confused... I thought I posted something here last night but now it's gone. Am I on crack?

Anyway, I forgot what I was going to say.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Two TATLs and two domestic PLHs in a 65 hour frame. Yay me.
But what do I know. In the midst of my oh amazing comic relief in this God-forsaken self-righteous bum licking and picking forum, at least I contrubute based on actual real-life experience.

500K AQM here I come!

I just farted.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Two TATLs and two domestic PLHs in a 65 hour frame. Yay me.
But what do I know. In the midst of my oh amazing comic relief in this God-forsaken self-righteous bum licking and picking forum, at least I contrubute based on actual real-life experience.

500K AQM here I come!

I just farted.
You gotta eat the bananas from the snack basket man.

Because Monkeys, never, craps.

Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
You gotta eat the bananas from the snack basket man.

Because Monkeys, never, craps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LdGai72Tt8Y
I didn't even need to see the youtube clip as I already knew you were referencing Bush Party man.

Bush party tonight. Bush party.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Well, I'm heading to DXB in the spring because I want to eat at a restaurant that shares my first name.

Originally Posted by above.the.clouds
I have been contemplating about doing a 12 hour flight to eat at a restaurant I love in Asia. I thought about the lunacy and then stopped myself. Now after reading these posts, perhaps I shall.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
Well, I'm heading to DXB in the spring because I want to eat at a restaurant that shares my first name.
If you do that, then you win.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:34 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by above.the.clouds
I have been contemplating about doing a 12 hour flight to eat at a restaurant I love in Asia. I thought about the lunacy and then stopped myself. Now after reading these posts, perhaps I shall.
I went to MAN this past weekend just for a soccer game. I've done YYC-YVR-YYC same day for a football game.

So why not fly to Asia to go eat at a restaurant?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by adam.smith
I went to MAN this past weekend just for a soccer game. I've done YYC-YVR-YYC same day for a football game.

Uhhh....the $6K price tag for the flight stops me...

Man....you guys in engineering land must be loaded.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Uhhh....the $6K price tag for the flight stops me...

Man....you guys in engineering land must be loaded.
I think above.the.clouds said he works for Microsoft, so he probably does okay.

Me, I'm in finance. I do okay and I have low fixed expenses. My apartment isn't very big, my girlfriend is largely self-financing, no kids. I spend money on cars and travel and not a ton else.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Sheesh. How long did SAP get suspended for??? He must have been really misbehaving...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: SE 100K

I'm from BC but study in MAN... what routing did you fly here?

The airport is pretty terrible eh?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Sheesh. How long did SAP get suspended for??? He must have been really misbehaving...
Nah...they're just a lot more "sensitive" in the other forums.

He'll be back this Friday IIRC.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:00 am

I think above.the.clouds said he works for Microsoft, so he probably does okay.

Me, I'm in finance. I do okay and I have low fixed expenses. My apartment isn't very big, my girlfriend is largely self-financing, no kids. I spend money on cars and travel and not a ton else.
6k is 12k before tax. After 40 years, that 6 or 12k turns into several hundred thousands if invested wisely.

I'm in finance too. I wish I was in finance working for a Silicon Valley company though.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I'm from BC but study in MAN... what routing did you fly here?

The airport is pretty terrible eh?
Was supposed to go YYC-LHR-MAN. Due to mechanical issues with both 333 flights (LHR and FRA) ex-YYC on Friday, AC850 was cancelled. Thankfully the concierge was able to re-route me YYC-YEG-LHR on the last AC898 of the year. I think flew BA LHR-MAN. All on one ticket bought on ac.com.

KLM was much cheaper, and the outbound was fine, but my issue was on the way back it required taking the first flight of the day MAN-AMS and then a fairly tight connection that I felt could be thrown off by fairly minor IRROPS, leaving me trying to find some god-awful many-stop routing home. Same thing with YYC-FRA-MAN.

So I went with the AC/BA option.

And yes, I didn't think much of the airport in MAN.

Originally Posted by CanRulez
6k is 12k before tax. After 40 years, that 6 or 12k turns into several hundred thousands if invested wisely.

I'm in finance too. I wish I was in finance working for a Silicon Valley company though.
Top marginal rate in AB is only 39%, so $6K is $9.8K. Although that's changing thanks to Rachel and, soon, Justin. So that Rachel can throw more money at the best-paid health care workers in the country and Justin can give tax cuts to people who make $90K a year

You're right about the magic of compounding, but I'm fine. My RRSPs and TFSA are maxed out and I have substantial non-registered investments, a healthy emergency fund, no debt other than a small mortgage, etc. Whether I invest wisely, I don't know (in YYC, diversification often consists of owning oil stocks AND gas stocks, and maybe some pipeline companies), but I do okay.

I work a job that comes with brutal hours and terrible expectations of constantly being available on weekends, vacations, etc. If I didn't spend money on the things I do, I'd have to quit and do something else.

So don't worry about me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.