Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNB and NBO in the works?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by The Lev
Also wouldn't be surprised to see a Rouge flight YUL to Marrakesh.
I would be surprised, or we would've seen YUL-CMN mainline years ago as RAM has run 3 flights exYUL in one day during peek season.

And you should see the price they charge.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Sebring
On JNB, that's ULH flying, and while the 788 certainly is capable of going the distance, there are serious pilot issues that would have to be resolved. I'm not aware of whether the ULH issue stands between AC and ACPA, but I wonder if a JNB service could be launched without a letter of understanding.
JNB-ATL currently flown by a Delta 77L is 8439mi vs. JNB-YYZ at 8303mi. Delta's flight is only blocked at 16h55m, add to that the 787's faster cruise speed and I bet AC could block it under 16h30m. I doubt ACPA would need to be further satisfied (A345 ULH ACPA delays were due to approving the physical crew rest space, IIRC).
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I would be surprised, or we would've seen YUL-CMN mainline years ago as RAM has run 3 flights exYUL in one day during peek season.

And you should see the price they charge.
So you're saying it will be mainline flying to Morocco?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
Are there any freedoms that would allow YYZNBOJNB?
From what I can tell the only bilateral with Kenya is for codeshare services, and the terms of the Canada-South Africa bilateral are not disclosed.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
South African already does JFK-JNB with a A340 and IAD-JNB with a A330 , I can't see why US based passengers would prefer a transit through YYZ to fly to JNB with AC. SA is also a *A member.

No idea if there is enough O&D traffic between YYZ and JNB to sustain an AC flight in addition to the SA flights as well as One World airlines with a stop in Europe.

Last edited by Jagboi; Dec 11, 2014 at 11:38 am
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
So you're saying it will be mainline flying to Morocco?
I have no effective predictive capabilities, but my wild guess would be AC will not be going to Morocco at all.

Or did I miss something about a new route there?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I have no effective predictive capabilities

I hear otherwise. And apparently, you can predict the weather.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by 24left
I hear otherwise. And apparently, you can predict the weather.
Then I got some REALLY bad news for you! LOL
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Then I got some REALLY bad news for you! LOL

C'mon, there's a graph for that
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Jagboi
South African already does JFK-JNB with a A340 and IAD-JNB with a A330 , I can't see why US based passengers would prefer a transit through YYZ to fly to JNB with AC. SA is also a *A member.

No idea if there is enough O&D traffic between YYZ and JNB to sustain an AC flight in addition to the SA flights as well as One World airlines with a stop in Europe.
SA is also perpetually teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, and don't they frequently have to stop in Dakar due to fuel and weight restrictions? Their J class is nice with slightly uneven service in my recollection--certainly nothing so bad that I would avoid them.

Every time I have flown to/from JNB the J cabins have been totally full (TK, LX, SA) and the Y cabin looked at least full-ish. But there is certainly a lot of capacity to JNB and CPT today between all of the options in *A and OW not to mention the Gulf airlines. I would love to see the route, and my bet is that there is sufficient traffic from Canada and NE USA to support it.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
C'mon, there's a graph for that
1 free MLL drink to whoever can find out what this is:

Hint: Tau = 0.5

No cheating.

24L can't play.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
1 free MLL drink to whoever can find out what this is:

Hint: Tau = 0.5

No cheating.

24L can't play.
I see Jesus!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
FWIW, I heard a SD say last week that JNB is coming soon.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:15 pm

South African already does JFK-JNB with a A340 and IAD-JNB with a A330, I can't see why US based passengers would prefer a transit through YYZ to fly to JNB with AC. SA is also a *A member.
SAA stops westbound to JFK, or at least they seem to schedule a DKR stop for JFK flights now. SAA's downgauge to A330 into IAD means stop both ways, everyday. Perfectly reasonable to assume pax might choose JNB-YYZ-ORD over JNB-DKR-JFK-ORD, for example, heck, JNB-YYZ-DCA might even get you downtown DC faster than JNB-DKR-IAD
What do you mean? How much O/D is there between ATL and JNB? I realize some level of O/D is required to make routes like this tick, but we're talking about a sector connecting gigantic hubs of two Alliance partners.
Think this is "when" not "if"

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Dec 11, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
YYZ to JNB will be awesome.

It's a good business route and it's a good leisure route too. Cape Town is an amazing city if you haven't been.

Snow in Toronto today, Safari by tomorrow morning.

And I would not mind a re-fueling stop if required. e.g. Ile de Sal, Dakar, Morocco, Lagos (Nigeria) or even Portugal.

Also it may be possible that the route is YYZ-NBO-JNB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.