Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
I understand but from his perspective the line says 1/2.

there were only 6 in business class yet about 12 in line ahead of him. If he wants to get in early on zone 2 then might as well get in line ...

and if he travels a lot he knows AC often let’s people board at different zones unless they are first couple in line. (I think part of it is because they rarely board at the time they say they will, except on long haul flights, in order to board as quickly as possible and make up time)

In the end the united set up is far better. Your issue goes away and if someone does try they enforce it.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase

there were only 6 in business class yet about 12 in line ahead of him. If he wants to get in early on zone 2 then might aswh well get in line ...

and if he travels a lot he knows AC often let’s people board at different zones unless they are first couple in line. (I think part of it is because they rarely board at the time they say they will, except on long haul flights, in order to board as quickly as possible and make up time)

In the end the united set up is far better. Your issue goes away and if someone does try they enforce it.
This. As an E75K/E50K flyer, I certainly want to board as early as possible, in my own zone of course, especially when I know bin space is going to be scarce. I will line up where AC tells me to line up, try to quietly look/ask around to see who is Zone 1 and let them through but I certainly don't want to start asking everyone in the line and come out as an entitled cheaper version of a DYKWIA.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:45 am

I know it has been said here before, but I want to also compliment the SFO staff for trying to keep people in line with respect to the different zones. Multiple announcements as well, explaining the zone system and where to line up.

Funny situation in YYZ last week. There were over 50 people on the standby list for YYZ-YUL. I'd never seen such a thing before. I had a seat assignment at OCI, but was switched to GTE once I arrived at the airport. At one point while boarding, the gate agents said something along the lines of "we have 23 zone 3 passengers who have yet to board. Please move out of the way if you are not in zone 3." I thought this was great.​​​​​ The only problem was that after zone 3, once zone 4 was called, people just went into any line, filling up the zone 1, 2, etc. Of course once I got my boarding pass, I just went directly to the boarding agent, bypassing the lines.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Was flying MEX-YYZ last week. Showed up 15 minutes before boarding to find a relatively long line for 1/2 and really long line for 3-5. Thought I might be able to scoot through when they called Zone 1. They called 1/2 together.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Flew out of BNA earlier this week. Other than an unusual verbal announcement for pre-boarding (zone 0), it was nice to see a relatively small station like BNA actually split the Z1 and Z2 announcements (even though there were no Z1 pax on my flight).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase

there were only 6 in business class yet about 12 in line ahead of him. If he wants to get in early on zone 2 then might as well get in line ...

I don't know how you inferred any of that from "J is booked 6/12, and there were a good 12 people in the zone 1 line already."

There was a separate 1 and 2 line. He was in the 1 line (as I said). Not the 1/2 line, because there wasn't one.

There were even more people patiently waiting their turn in the 2 line.

Originally Posted by jasdou
This. As an E75K/E50K flyer, I certainly want to board as early as possible, in my own zone of course, especially when I know bin space is going to be scarce. I will line up where AC tells me to line up, try to quietly look/ask around to see who is Zone 1 and let them through but I certainly don't want to start asking everyone in the line and come out as an entitled cheaper version of a DYKWIA.
Again, in this case, I was only referring to the zone 1 line. If you lined up where you were told, you would not have been in the zone 1 line.

However, in the case where there is a combined line, if they only call zone 1, are you going to rush forward? That's an important, but separate, topic.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
However, in the case where there is a combined line, if they only call zone 1, are you going to rush forward? That's an important, but separate, topic.
As a perpetual 50/75-er, I hover around the line area and wait until I see no more people walking to the gate during zone 1, then I’ll hop in line as quick as I can in anticipation of zone 2 being called. Usually when I see the GA reach for the mic or announcement button I’ll jump in there.

But I never stand IN the line during zone 1. I don’t want to put any DYKWIA’s in the position of having to squeeze past me. Not cool.
YYC traveler and jasdou like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:39 pm

I would not, but you knew that.

However I don’t really want to look like so called gate lice when waiting to board in my zone.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think we can all agree that the combined 1/2 line is a problem that AC could solve (maybe with more gate space?).

But when there are separate lines, there's just no excuse.

I'm zone 1. Move to the side. (reference: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24339693-post5.html)
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I'm zone 1. Move to the side. (reference: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24339693-post5.html)
Legend.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Zone 4 pax boarding when Zone 1 was called...what can I say.

Also, when the agent calls for Zone 1 boarding and you see more passengers lined up in Zone 1-2 lanes than the amount of J class seats available.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Zone 4 pax boarding when Zone 1 was called...what can I say.

Also, when the agent calls for Zone 1 boarding and you see more passengers lined up in Zone 1-2 lanes than the amount of J class seats available.
You do know that some SE, E75K, E50K, E35K and *G members fly in the back of the bus sometimes?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
You do know that some SE, E75K, E50K, E35K and *G members fly in the back of the bus sometimes?
Yes, but when Zone 1 is called specifically they're blocking Zone 1 pax from boarding.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Yes, but when Zone 1 is called specifically they're blocking Zone 1 pax from boarding.
Is it an IT glitch that as SE I get Zone 1 always?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Is it an IT glitch that as SE I get Zone 1 always?
Nope, SE's get Zone 1 boarding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.