Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
I checked in at the SE desk and still got Zone 5 on most of them except mine which was zone 1
Because that's not what "at the same time" means. They probably checked you in, then checked "them" in, one by one.

I don't know if I ever had an agent complete check-in in such a manner as to get my companions zone 1. The only time it's worked is through OLCI when I do it in one step.

It seems to assign the zone number during check-in, and looks at all pax status, and fare, to determine the correct zone. If your PNR-companion is checked in as a separate step, then they're the only one whose status is looked at.

Luckily for me the lowest status my companion's ever held was P25K, which still guaranteed they'd be zone 3, not that me bringing a +1 is usually an issue (though there was one time I was SE in J and they didn't want my no-status in Y coming with me, and a recent time where I was SE in J and they didn't want my no-status in PY coming with me, until she realized I was SE in J).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JetLife
How do you guys deal with people massing around the gate? I'm often boarding in Zone 3 but you have people from Zone 4 & 5 lined up together. I don't want to wait in line so I try to wait until the end of the Zone 3 boarding and get in front of the Zone 4 people but I can never tell where the separation is.
Some people ask those massed in front... sometimes I ask an agent if they are in non-shouting-earshot of me and that seems to make others aware around me...

Your best bet is to get to the gate earlier and stand at the front of the Zone 3-6 line and wait.
Other than that, it will be a challenge, IMHO.

But my best solution is to board last.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad

Some people ask those massed in front... sometimes I ask an agent if they are in non-shouting-earshot of me and that seems to make others aware around me...

Your best bet is to get to the gate earlier and stand at the front of the Zone 3-6 line and wait.
Other than that, it will be a challenge, IMHO.

But my best solution is to board last.
I usually board last but I'm 6' 4" so if I'm stuck on Rouge with my bag at my feet it can be a miserable flight.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JetLife
I usually board last but I'm 6' 4" so if I'm stuck on Rouge with my bag at my feet it can be a miserable flight.
I wasn't trying to pass judgement on your boarding preferences, and frankly that's irrelevant to me. Just giving you my tips on what I've done and seen done, and the best method for not having to wade through a herd of passengers all waiting to board.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad

I wasn't trying to pass judgement on your boarding preferences, and frankly that's irrelevant to me. Just giving you my tips on what I've done and seen done, and the best method for not having to wade through a herd of passengers all waiting to board.
I agree. I like to board first or last. In between is a gong show. If in J, I dont care when I board though some of those 767 Rouge have not enough bin space. If I am in Y, I like to board in Zone 1 so i can get my bag space and settle down though I am almost always in an aisle seat so will have to get up anyways.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
From the sheeple file:

February 5, YYZ gate 41, flight to YEG. I arrive around when boarding is supposed to start. Lots of people in the left line (Z 3+). Around 25 people in the middle line. No one in the right line. I notice that both the zone 2 sign (on the left side of the middle line) and the zone 1sign (on the right side of the middle line) point to the middle line. I casually mention this to the gate agent, who proceeds to swing the zone one sign around so it points to the right line.

About 10 people shift over to the right line, making comments like, "oh, I guess that makes more sense".

Yeah, no kidding.
flyquiet, canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
So here is a fun, and true boarding story from yesterday:

Flight 1619 (TPA-YUL) was delayed from 19:30 to 21:00 because of the weather situation in YUL. Delay was posted quite early (I knew about it around 2:00pm).

I go thru security at 19:50 and arrive at the gate at 19:55. As I am walking to the gate I see people boarding, which I assumed was for another flight that was using the gate before our plane arrived, but then I heard a boarding announcement for all zones, all rows for AC1619.

I go to the GA and say "what's up" and she says the plane arrived earlier than expected and they are trying to depart early. I then asked about the upgrade list to see if my upgrade was processed. She told me they couldn't process the upgrade list until the flight was closed for check in, and asked me to come back in 5 minutes. She then proceeded to announce "Final Boarding" for AC1619, which I believe was at 19:57.

I had never witnessed someone doing a final boarding call before the flight actually closed for check in.

I mentioned that there were likely people who were not even at the airport yet, since boarding was not supposed to commence for 30 mins. She just shrugged her shoulders and sent another GA to go check the restaurants.

Sure enough, my seatmate arrived huffing and puffing at 20:25.

To my surprise, everyone was on board and we left the gate almost 30 mins earlier than the delayed departure time.

Would have been an interesting scenario if they had left someone behind....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:27 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Sounds like the fun and games that I've run into in the Caribbean. But those are much smaller planes.

Glad it worked out.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Sounds like the fun and games that I've run into in the Caribbean.
Ahh, the Caribbean. Where flight schedules are mere suggestions and on time means anything within 12 hours of the "suggestion".
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
SFO G93 for 563 SFO-YVR.

I showed up for some zone greater than 3.

I walked into the empty 1/2 lane. When an agent freed up, she held back 3-5 and asked if I was zone 2.

I said "zone 1", and she boarded me.

Exactly as it should work.

AC@SFO has a special place in my heart.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Yesterday we had the musical instrument preboarding again.

So now the order is W, M, DYKWIA, 1, 2 ...

W - Wheelchair
M - Musical Instruments
etc

Makes me want to travel with a Tuba.
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cozmo456
Makes me want to travel with a Tuba.
You'd have to check that.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Harmonica?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
An inflatable mattress pad packed in a viola case seems perfectly sensible to me.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:33 pm

I’m sure I’m beating a dead horse, but the gate agents at SFO are great. Someone in zone 5 tried to board when only zone 3 was called. She was politely told to sit down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.