Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 29, 22, 4:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aselwyn
Wiki Link
AC link:
UPDATED HERE January 2, 2022

Boarding Process

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Pre-boarding: Customers who have requested wheelchair assistance
Zone 1: J and SE customers
Zone 2: 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards
Zone 2.5:
- Passengers travelling with children under the age of 6 or who require additional time to board the aircraft
- Passengers travelling with a musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage
Zone 3: Comfort fares, passengers who purchased preferred seats in advance
Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding (back to front). AC Express flights will not have Zone 5.
Zone 6: Economy Basic

Companions travelling on the same PNR as an Aeroplan Elite/*Gold member will receive the same priority boarding zone.

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 29, 22, 10:53 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
2. It's irrelevant, since it's a Comfort fare
Except that they didn't both get zone 3 as they should, so something else other than the comfort fare must have been at play.
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist View Post
Except that they didn't both get zone 3 as they should, so something else other than the comfort fare must have been at play.
I agree, but "the system is dumb" seems sufficient
Bohemian1 and RangerNS like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I agree, but "the system is dumb" seems sufficient
at the gate and agent was free so decided to ask. Seems there is something to window seat theory. Because we are traveling together window got zone 3 and aisle got 4 with assumption that it would expedite boarding. If we were traveling under different tickets we both would have gotten zone 3. I was told to just board with zone 3.

this makes zero sense to me, but must have made sense somewhere up the food chain. I will continue with my belief that AC is the worst major airline.
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
If you ask a GA how a backend system works, there's a very high chance you're going to get a made-up answer.

If "expedited boarding" was a goal, zones 1 and 2 would not exist, and you wouldn't be able to buy your way into zone 3.
Bohemian1, kalderlake and RangerNS like this.
Old Today, 5:38 pm

Boarded AC148 today, gate agent turned away zone 4 passengers during the zone 1 call.
I thanked her for being so proactive!
YYC3722 and Adam Smith like this.

Search this Thread