Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
IMO, not quite. Today, it's (12|something else), sure, but just wait until the majority of elite pax cannot priority board as we are in zone 2, standing in your way, as we use the scientific process to figure out who can board and who cannot....Do I have a solution, no. Do I think the new zonal boarding will be better for those in 1, 2? I'm not sure as I haven't trialed it...i'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
One solution is stay out of the way until it's your turn to board...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kevy_boy
One solution is stay out of the way until it's your turn to board...
Because that has worked so well.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:27 am

It doesn't work because people choose to be gate lice regardless of when is their turn to board.

To be honest, I think the only way to have orderly boarding is to adopt a Southwest style system with the corresponding gate infrastructure.

All other systems will have some element of disorder.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Now I just say the hell with it and line up in the priority boarding line as soon as I get to the gate from the lounge, usually a few minutes before the stated boarding time on my boarding pass. If I wait until I am called there is usually about half of the plane either in the priority line or blocking access to it. Fixing that would be good!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
Well technically if you're in "1" it doesn't matter how 2, 3, 4 and 5 is arranged

For a person in "1"
(1|2345)
is no different from:
(1|2|3|4|5)
and is no different from
(1|2|345)

But for a person in 1, (1|2345) is VERY different from (12|345).

The worst is (12345)

^^^^^^^ Outstanding answer
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:44 am

I'm flying AC for the first time YUL-SFO next year and was wondering if I could check in and get a mobile boarding pass with my Aegean *G (so I get Zone 2 boarding) and then go back and update my FF# to my UA *S number? This way I get Zone 2 boarding and the miles post to my UA account?

I'm paranoid about it posting to my A3 account (where I don't care for any more miles) and losing out on PQM qualification on my UA account. Does the FF#/program lock up once you check in or can you still update it and print a new boarding pass?

One option I believe that is safe for me is to check in with UA, get a boarding pass, then attempt changing it to A3, grab another boarding pass (which I will use while boarding), then go back to UA and print one final boarding pass with the UA #. Only way this could pwn me is if AC uses the FF# on the boarding pass scanned while boarding to post miles :-|

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I say good luck with this! I've watched AC passengers board flights for a long time, and only in communist China are people more rude and pushy and ignorant of line culture.

People swarm in from the sides, or push their way into the middle of the line at random completely ignoring the people behind them. Is this a Canadian thing? I saw one jackass on a UA flight ORD YYZ last month who stood off to the side stuffing food in his face...I asked if he was group 1 since he was near that line, he said he was but did not move to the line up. When boarding was called, he walked all the way around groups 1-5 and behind the podium, then popped up in front of the door, cutting off all the other group 1 passengers waiting in line

I can see this plan descending into chaos unless GA's enforce the rules and kick out people who cut in line, and that includes YOU folks doing the same - when someone cuts in, throw them out!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I say good luck with this! I've watched AC passengers board flights for a long time, and only in communist China are people more rude and pushy and ignorant of line culture.

People swarm in from the sides, or push their way into the middle of the line at random completely ignoring the people behind them. Is this a Canadian thing? I saw one jackass on a UA flight ORD YYZ last month who stood off to the side stuffing food in his face...I asked if he was group 1 since he was near that line, he said he was but did not move to the line up. When boarding was called, he walked all the way around groups 1-5 and behind the podium, then popped up in front of the door, cutting off all the other group 1 passengers waiting in line

I can see this plan descending into chaos unless GA's enforce the rules and kick out people who cut in line, and that includes YOU folks doing the same - when someone cuts in, throw them out!
I think some of the line cutters are members of this board
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Outside of YVR YYC YYZ YUL 1|2|3|4|5 is no different than 12|3|4|5 on narrowbody aircraft.
I have two anecdotal contradictions from the last week: YEG (there were 30 Elites on the upgrade list for two seats, so 28 of them would be group 2.

Then SFO, where the priority line for YYZ flights are always at least 50 deep.

Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Then SFO, where the priority line for YYZ flights are always at least 50 deep.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Since AC operates out of the international terminal now at SFO, perhaps a good solution is to let Zone 1 use the door closest to the jetbridge, and zones 2+ to use the other set of doors

.... hmm I like the ring of that, "super elite/non-SE door" sounds much better than "SE/non-SE line"
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
I think this is a bit too much, no? From what I read, the majority of people here are all for giving those with true medical reasons the ability to preboard before everyone. Mrs. Penguin would qualify but she still refuses to use it for those even worse off, so I'd like to think the majority of people don't abuse it.

As far as kids preboarding, I'm with Andrew and a few others. Do I hate kids? No, but it's also why I am still choosing to fly AC over WS (fewer kids). I do cherish preboarding and watching AVOD prior to the little ones boarding and looking clueless while walking the aisle.
I agree unlike the fear of some here i find very few abuse the privilege. I just wish that AC would not have worried about the SEs or Js who complained that someone like Mrs Penguin was boarding before them without a wheel chair.
And similarly if someone has a young child under 5 then let them on early too.

It does strike me as DYKWIA to say i cannot stand in line an extra five minutes while a person needing extra time or a family with a baby boards ahead of me.

(I never thought anyone was doing it because they hate kids until it was said they can't stand kids.)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by jarusoba
^ This.

Thank you! For those who obviously need help, like wheelchair guys and babies with strollers etc. I have no problem.

Just don't want to stand around and wait for those little brats who can walk on their own to board before me. I would rather settle in myself in the seat than standing there waiting.
But babies in strollers are to board after zone 2 - unless i misunderstand?

As for brats - a little much here.
Some young kids are better behaved that SE's and J's in my experience.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: *$ Green
I find it slightly amusing that we are so afraid of Zone1/Zone2 line confusion, despite the fact that the line will be mostly used by FF's.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

You need to travel more.

Try boarding in Africa, Eastern Europe, India and any place there are Russians.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Dorian
You need to travel more.

Try boarding in Africa, Eastern Europe, India and any place there are Russians.
Remember. No Russian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.