Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Not sure what you're getting at? In term of mct?
No I was just saying that if follow behind two rows(which takes 30-45 seconds at most) are going to hurt one's chance for making a connection- I am not sure if that is a right connection in the first place.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
No I was just saying that if follow behind two rows(which takes 30-45 seconds at most) are going to hurt one's chance for making a connection- I am not sure if that is a right connection in the first place.
I just realized your point and edited my post while you were making your reply. . but I agree with your statement
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
That's largely irrelevant. Mcts exist for a reason. Not to be used as leverage as to why one needs to board first or the sacred bin space or do MR in the shortest period of time. If you're booking or flying below mct, You're just asking for problems. Ac publishes these for a reason and you shouldn't expect special (or any) treatment if you knowingly violate these reasonable rules. And especially for not formulating boarding process guidelines.
I sometimes book tight connections that barely meet the MCT, but I choose seat 2A/C instead of 1A/C because I can stow my bag underneath the seat in front of me. It doesn't take much to solve a potential problem, just requires flexibility.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:59 am

Yes, a self-inflicted problem.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYT82
I sometimes book tight connections that barely meet the MCT, but I choose seat 2A/C instead of 1A/C because I can stow my bag underneath the seat in front of me. It doesn't take much to solve a potential problem, just requires flexibility.
Exactly what I do when travelling with Mrs.acysb87 ^
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
One shouldn't be flying, or should expect problems that AC should not be on the hook to fix, if one chooses to fly below Mct.
You're being pedantic rather than looking at the point of my post.

I just looked it up, and MCT is 25 minutes. So let's go with 25 minutes. It's a legal connection. The only time I've ever been booked on an illegal connection was when a flight was cancelled, while in transit, and I had to get booked on an earlier one, which left me with something like 20 minutes in YUL.

The point, of course, is that with tight connections, anything that causes a small delay risks a misconnect.

two rows- That is what? 30 Seconds, 45 seconds tops?
I've missed flights by less than that. 70 minute US to Canada connection at YVR turned to 25 by a mechanical issue. I met the GAs at the bottom of the jetbridge, right after they'd closed the door.

Ten seconds earlier, and I would have caught the last eastbound red-eye out of YVR.

Instead, I had to overnight.

One can use the same logic as to why ga's consistently
Board zone 1 and 2 together. Impacts very few in zone 1. And provides a more efficient boarding process with better otp and better payday bonus.
But that's in direct contradiction to the policy and the reasons behind the policy.

If they want to get it out as fast as possible, the proven solution is random boarding.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If they want to get it out as fast as possible, the proven solution is random boarding.
Or bus gates. I've had the pleasure of experiencing a completely full A320 boarded in 4 minutes in FRA once we were bussed to the aircraft. Getting pax from gate to bus was less than 10 minutes.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're being pedantic rather than looking at the point of my post.

I just looked it up, and MCT is 25 minutes. So let's go with 25 minutes. It's a legal connection. The only time I've ever been booked on an illegal connection was when a flight was cancelled, while in transit, and I had to get booked on an earlier one, which left me with something like 20 minutes in YUL.

The point, of course, is that with tight connections, anything that causes a small delay risks a misconnect.

I've missed flights by less than that. 70 minute US to Canada connection at YVR turned to 25 by a mechanical issue. I met the GAs at the bottom of the jetbridge, right after they'd closed the door.

Ten seconds earlier, and I would have caught the last eastbound red-eye out of YVR.

Instead, I had to overnight.

But that's in direct contradiction to the policy and the reasons behind the policy.

You're playing with fire as it is if you're flying at MCT. Never mind below mct which you stated was the case. Not pedantic at all. If you fly below mct, you are likely to run into problems. Therefore having published cutoff times is perfectly reasonable for all parties. Point being that the boating process was never designed or should be used to incentivize tight or illegal connections.

Random boarding may be the fastest but it's not necessarily the most pleasant. When ac looked at revamping the boarding process a venn diagram approach was most likely used that took in account all parties interests.

In practice, Ga's uses heuristics to simplify their job. One zone for priority (especially since zone 1 is often so small and easily consolidated), one zone for special needs, one zone for everybody else.

Last edited by kwflyer; Jul 18, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're playing with fire as it is if you're flying at MCT. N
MCT is a ticketing issue. Not something that really concerns the passenger.

TAs are not supposed to book connections that don't satisfy it, that all there is to it. Passengers don't even need to know the animal actually exists, and most don't.

(Except when AC takes the liberty to do something else with it. Which the CTA has deemed to be illegal.)

But anyway, if you miss a fly, risk of which of course goes up as connection time gets shorter, the onus remains on the airlines to rebook you under the conditions in the tariffs. Which is only a serious problem if you depended upon an upgrade on the flight that you might miss.

Only in that case would I be seriously concerned with short connections.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
In practice, Ga's uses heuristics to simplify their job. One zone for priority (especially since zone 1 is often so small and easily consolidated), one zone for special needs, one zone for everybody else.
Venn Diagrams aside, if GAs are taking a very clearly defined boarding process comprised of at least 6 distinct zones and reducing it to 3, they're doing their jobs wrong. It's not up to them to change company policies at their whim.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
MCT is a ticketing issue. Not something that really concerns the passenger.

TAs are not supposed to book connections that don't satisfy it, that all there is to it. Passengers don't even need to know the animal actually exists, and most don't.

(Except when AC takes the liberty to do something else with it. Which the CTA has deemed to be illegal.)

But anyway, if you miss a fly, risk of which of course goes up as connection time gets shorter, the onus remains on the airlines to rebook you under the conditions in the tariffs. Which is only a serious problem if you depended upon an upgrade on the flight that you might miss.

Only in that case would I be seriously concerned with short connections.
I think you missed my point that canadiancow was justifying the zonal boarding process given their below mct connections they booked. It has no relevance
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
Venn Diagrams aside, if GAs are taking a very clearly defined boarding process comprised of at least 6 distinct zones and reducing it to 3, they're doing their jobs wrong. It's not up to them to change company policies at their whim.
Processes and procedures are only so good if you have key stakeholder buy in.

If your frontline can't consistently and execute a process, the boarding process was doomed to fail. Don't think there's a clear consolidation to 3, but definitely of zone 1 and 2. And it seems to be working just fine for the majority of customers.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Processes and procedures are only so good if you have key stakeholder buy in.

If your frontline can't consistently and execute a process, the boarding process was doomed to fail. Don't think there's a clear consolidation to 3, but definitely of zone 1 and 2. And it seems to be working just fine for the majority of customers.
The key stakeholders have an obligation to buy in. After all, it's their job to follow procedures; that's what they're there for. And if they refuse to for whatever reason, then management should either take corrective action or redefine the benefit. As it stands, regardless of whatever conclusions you may have drawn on behalf of the "majority of customers," certain customers are not getting the precisely-defined experience to which they're entitled.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The key stakeholders have an obligation to buy in. After all, it's their job to follow procedures; that's what they're there for. And if they refuse to for whatever reason, then management should either take corrective action or redefine the benefit. As it stands, regardless of whatever conclusions you may have drawn on behalf of the "majority of customers," certain customers are not getting the precisely-defined experience to which they're entitled.
+1
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:21 am
Suspended

Except a ga s performance is not judged on a Single variable that you have described. Ac is too big, too complex, and likely too adversarial, to enforce compliance with such a rule given how many other objective they are juggling (which may seem at times
Contradictory). If ac wants compliance they're going to need buy in from the gas, or better yet., they should have been at the table when these job modifications were discussed and approved.

I don't think most altitude members care from what I can tell anecdotally, ft notwithstanding. Most, IME are content with boarding in either zones. There are bigger issues to deal with, and many of the ga's actions would seem to agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.